Why can't I be just like others ?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

neverletlifetakeyourspark
April 2nd, 2015 6:29am
Why would you want to be like everyone else, when you can be yourself? "They all laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they are the same."~Kurt Cobain "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." ~Kurt Cobain
Anonymous
Sometimes all we wish is to be like someone else. "Oh, but I wish I had hair like her!" "I wish I had a body like him!" when in reality, being yourself is being the best person you can be. We tend to compare ourselves to others and make it so that we feel bad about ourselves. What if you would be as mean to others as you are to yourself? Try to be a little bit nicer to yourself. It will help you find out who you are and how beautiful you really are as a person.
HollowHeart18
No one single human being is exactly like the other. That's what makes us all unique. If you strive for happiness, come to an understanding of your flaws and embrace them. They make you different from everyone else. They make you who you are.
thedancerwithin
I guess the most obvious answer is, you're not them. There are certain characteristics of a person in which you can pursue- for example kindness, and that's probably what today's world needs most and you can easily be a kind person. If you're talking about aspects such as beauty, then remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nobody's perfect. Some people may seem beautiful to you, but to others they are not. Even if you try to be like them, you will still get reactions from both sides of the spectrum- those that love you and those that hate you. Everyone is made different because everyone has something to contribute to the world and you shouldn't try to change yourself because you're beautiful just the way you are :)
MisterJimmy
Feeling like you are different to everyone else actually MAKES you the same as everyone else. We all feel out of place at some stage in our lives. The best way to deal with that feeling in the short term is to focus on the things that you have in common with people you know. In the long term, try to make other friends (or find support groups) who embrace your more quirky side. I felt like some of my strict-thinking law school friends weren't fully embracing my loud and vibrant personality, so I made some theatre student friends and hang out with them when I need to let a little of the crazy out.
iwillbeyourfriend
You are just like every other human being, you are a Person with feelings, thoughts, worries, goals, strengths and weaknesses. But we have our own differences. So in the same sense no one is the same. Everyone of us is unique the way we are. But If you are surrounded with people who have a hard time understanding it, its their problem.
Anonymous
Everybody is different. I know how you feel. Sometimes I am so happy to be different. Other times I cry myself to sleep because why can't I just be the same? As long as you are happy with who you are, then it really doesn't matter if you're different. I know it's easier said than done, believe me, but it'll be worth it when you finally fall in love with yourself.
unknwn25
To be honest I think, every single person on earth has something they struggle with. You are not alone either if its anxiety, depression, list goes on.... Everyone has something they struggle with.
Anonymous
Hello! I know it's incredibly hard to stand out sometimes, but just remember that we are all so terrifically unique, each one of us with our own little quirks and passions. Being different isn't bad, it simply means that you have the ability to be your own self in a world full of those who are afraid to be. it's an extraordinary gift :)
Mel
What's the meaning of "be just like others"? You are who you are exactly for a reason and are your little flaws and everything on you who makes you, you. The term normal doesn't exist, there isn't someone absolutely normal because perfection doesn't exist.
Anonymous
If everybody was the same, life would be boring! Everybody has their special qualities, that make them unique, whether you're intuitive to people's emotions, good at maths, or good at making your little sister laugh - everybody is here to be unique and offer something different. Don't be like other people. Be like yourself.
wonderfulFriend49
First of all there is no need to be like everyone else! Everyone has something unique about them that makes them special! If everyone was the same life would be pretty boring :)
StardustEyes
You don't need to be like others. Being different is one of the most beautiful treasures of life. Finding an unique person to interact with is a rare thing. Normal people are everywhere you look. Don't be another one. Unfortunately, many people are trapped in mediocrity. I believe one of the main reasons is they do not dare to be different. You need to be different if you want to be above the average.
loopylou
everyone has their own character and if you were like evryone else life would be boring!! If the people your around cant accept the person you are then sorry to say they dont belong in your life, you should be happy with who you are do not change for anybody x
Anonymous
Because you are a special unique human being who doesn't need to be like anyone else because you can be whatever you want to be.
PRUNE4BEE
becaus ei can only be 100% myself. anything beyond that is a masked image of someone else. It is so much easer and HEALTHIER to fulfill my own path
gentleBeauty54
I think for me i just don't want to be like anyone else because i am an individual and i have come so far in my life and I am so lucky to be alive!
caringLady17
One of the most difficult thing I went through in life was finding out someone close to me had cancer. I became very depressed and didn't know how I would live without them. I even took two years off of school to help this person out. They are still today struggling, not with cancer, but with other things in their health life. I got my life back on track, even though I'd love to stay with them all day. It terrifies me that I will get a call at school or work one day saying this person is no longer with us. The anxiety of this really bothers you after awhile. However sometimes you just have to think of something positive, even if it seems impossible.
Teddy009
Well, technically, you are just like others. The differences are small and non important. I think that you aren't born special, you make it so by the way you live.
Anonymous
Because you're an unique individual. You have your own special qualities that no one else can possess. Be proud of who you are.
Lyricaldancer99
Everyone is different and unque. You don't want to be like the others just be you and that's all that matters.
Syllol
Simple! All people are unique, so it is impossible to be like others. If you try to imitate other people, you will become a fake person and your life will be empty. Learn to be yourself and find others who can accept the way you are.
WiselyBlue
Difficult question. I think it's only because we are not others, and still compare ourselves to them, to the image we have of them in reality.
futurebieber
March 2nd, 2016 1:09pm
Why do you want to be anyone else when you can just be yourself? There's nobody else in the entire world who shares the same traits as you. Aren't you proud of that?
Alden94
Why would you want to be like others when you can be awesome and be yourself? Being others is boring :P Be yourself and do something crazy and silly with your life!
raspberryzoe
Because everyone deserves to be unique and true to themselves. Being not like other people, though it might be tough, actually gives you new advantages and opportunities because now you've seen things from another angle! Its an absolutely wonderful gift to have, to not be like others, a gift some people might be jealous or envious of. Protect it, nurture it, embrace it
peacefulSound31
Because everyone is different. You have something not everyone will have. You have your own qualities, and you must embrace your unique sides. And think positive!
Frejya
Every each one of us are unique. You cant expect us to be same like one another. My point is just be yourselves. If u have traits that u think is a weakness, find a solution to improve it. We cant be better if we are not willing to do it
Anonymous
I am made to be someone else than the guy next to me. I have a purpose and it's not the same as that of the guy next to me so I WON'T be just like others!
8Moonlight
Because you were created to be unique. Your flaws define you and mold you the way you are now. If everyone was the same, the world would be cliche. You're special and perfect in unusual ways.