Why can't I talk easily in front of my class?

Sandra Butler, AOD, DV counselor

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Experienced in understanding how emotions and feelings affect our lifes in every aspect of interacting, not just with others, but how we process those emotions. I can help you

polarbear21
November 1st, 2016 7:14pm
Sometimes it is difficult to speak in front of a group of people. I encourage you to breathe, smile, and speak slowly. Look for people in the audience smiling back at you or nodding in encouragement. That will help you keep going.
Anonymous
It is not uncommon to be nervous when talking in front of a big group of people. Some people just have different levels of confidence. Two ways you could go about it, you coukd be very brave and overcome your by standing up there and doing it the best you could. Or you could talk to your teacher and explain the situation and see how he/she could help you. This could also be a sign of social anxiety so maybe research that :) have a good day!
AvaLive07
Sounds like you are having some anxiety. This is a normal emotion. There plenty of other people who have a fear of standing up and talking in front of a class.
laserpowerr
Sometimes our minds create irrational fears inside of us that obstruct us from doing things we wish to. We get anxious and start worrying about everything that can go wrong, if the probability of that is low. The best way to get over it? Prepare yourself for the worst as well as the best. If things go well then good enough but even if they don't, tell yourself that you'll deal with them later.
ShannonLstories1
This would be a sign of social anxiety, you may be nervous about the people in front of you or embarrassing yourself. It normal to deal nervous however if it becomes regular you may want to speak to someone about it
Anonymous
I think it’s a fear of embarrassment and want to succeed. It’s completely natural. Sometimes we want to say something and share our thoughts but we care too much about the opinuons of others
WarmShadow8
Talking to a large crowd is not easy for a lot people, it's normal. But take also into consideration that there could be a possibility that you may have social anxiety. But, without proper assessment, it would be really hard to tell whether you really do have this or you're just a shy or reserved kind of person.
UnicornComfysunday
I am really really shy when it comes to public speaking. I have a monologue to do this Wednesday. I am really afraid. I do not know what to do. I mean i memorized it and Know the thing by heart. I do not know what could go wrong. But, I do know one Little secret. When you having trouble like me, just pick a spot on the wall above you audience eyes. Focus on that part of the wall. Now no one will trow you off. You seem like it is crucial and important. Now you are focused. Take a deep breath. And just get the thing over with. Do not say it fast, say it slow so people think Oh he or she is calm and knows what they are doing. Then say Thank you at the end. I will hope you take this advice. I will to on my scene this Wednesday. I hope you have good luck. Goodbye. :)
Varee
Research often shows public speaking is the No. 1 fear so you're not alone. Build confidence by practise
Ginieboops
It could be anything from stage fright, anxiety to phobias. It's always hard to avoid when you are at school which is one of the reason I feel we need to talk mrs about anxiety and depression at school, you can try getting couches to help you though it, developing ulterior egos, talking to teachers and class leaders about it or consulting a professional.
SJA18
Most people have difficulty speaking in front of people especially their peers its a normal response, you simply feel that you might say something wrong and getting embarrassed.
blissfulCupcake
Often some people are more nervous than others it does not mean that you lack anything you just have less confidence this can be worked on by practicing to talk to people and work with people you don't know in your class
forestmist
You may be nervous and insecure. The best thing to do is to practice in advance and make yourself appear in a flatter and confident manner.
ALifeWorthLiving
The most common cause of what you are describing, is called social anxiety. It is very common for most teens to slightly suffer from this.
Anonymous
Stay confident..everyone cannot have a sane answer, everyone holds different opinions and strategies in life so chill!! And say for yourself..stop caring if people like it or not..be you..you are no less than anyone
rainbowplatypus
I understand perfectly what this is and what it feels like. You feel like you can't expose yourself because if you say something wrong or a little bit embarassing everyone will laugh and mock you for the rest of the semester. Being afraid of what you might say in front of others is an irrational fear, and I think it comes from being overjudgemental of ourselves. People are often not as judgemental as we are and we end up closing doors in our own faces, not realising that maybe it wouldn't even be so bad try to be comfortable in our own skin and goofyness (which by the way is totally ok). It also may be a sign of social anxiety, and ackowledging that you are in fact socially anxious might help you a lot overcoming your fears.
AdmirableTree
Talking in public is a skill. You have to do it more often and focus on your thoughts while doing it. If you can figure out the feeling behind the thoughts, then you can assure yourself.
floatingflowers
Sometimes anxiety throws a person for a loop. This could be for something as small as raising your hand to answer a question.
Anonymous
October 2nd, 2016 1:39am
This could be cause of many different reasons. It is best for a person to consider what makes you upset about being in front of the class.
Anonymous
I get scared talking in front of my class a lot too. A tip is looking at the back wall when you have to look up. Everyone will think you are looking at someone else so you can avoid eye contact.
Darson
The inner voice needs the confidence to tell the outer voice I can speak in front of people.......what you need to do is not look at the people but the wall behind and with authority address the members of the room....the inner voice starts to become the outer voice....only make sure to listen to your words and make sure they make sense.......practice in front of a mirrors and record your voice....you are your best critic.
Anonymous
Talking in front of people can be really frightening, because some people simply don't like the attention on them, and that's totally okay. Some are meant for the spotlight, and others aren't, it all 100% depends on your personal preference!
Machapuchare
I believe we are almost always hardest on ourselves. Be as kind, and encouraging towards yourself as you are to others.
majesticturtle33
Some people struggle to talk in front of a group of people due to anxiety and the fear of getting something wrong or embarrassing yourself.
FriendlyKitten
It's normal to feel uncomfortable when talking for a lot of people. If you want to talk better, you should practice things to decrease your anxiety like mindfulness or even some theater classes if possible.
MizzyBebeUniCorn
Because You're scared of how they will react. Your scared of what they will think of you as a person overall because they might judge you. But Dont worry ;)
Anonymous
You might just be nervous about being wrong or embarrassing yourself. It's not as hard if you practice and study well and frequently.
Anonymous
Maybe it makes you nervous. Which is understandable and very common also. If it becomes a problem, you may want to talk about it with someone you trust.
Angelsupporter9
Because you may have stage fright aka being scared of talking in front of people. It's completely normal, everyone has it at least once in their lifetime :)
TheAdmirableCreatureAmanda
Talking in front of class is nerve wracking in the best of times, often what happens is anxiety gets the best of us and makes it difficult to speak easily. Next time you are about to speak in front of your class, try taking some time and doing some deep breathing to calm yourself down. Good luck!