He cheated on me. Should I give him another opportunity?

Tim Van Rheenen, M.A., LMFT

I will work to help you get unstuck. Together we will apply methodologies that work to find freedom from trauma, sexually addictive behaviors, and relational problems.

blackholeheart
Love is always a delicate topic. And in cases like this, Though we find it hateful that someone you loved so dearly could do something like this to you, Your love for them still makes you forgive him. Been there, Done it. But what do you do when they do it a second, a third time? Would you want to still forgive them? Thats when you realise that all along you were wrong to give them a second chance , even a third chance. Never degrade yourselves for a unhealthy relationship. Moving on is the best option. Though all of this is easier said than done, I dont want to see anyone going through such hurt again
Anonymous
If I had never experience this personally, I would say "no way!" The trust will be gone. However, this has happened to me recently, and I love him dearly still. It would always be the trust issue that would get in the way.
gentlemelon222
Yes, if you love him, you should give him another opportunity. We are human beings and can make mistakes, never let go of your happiness because of 1 mistake give him another change and tell him what he did wasn't fine by you, hopefully he will change. Patience is required. Good luck!
Vicki17
Depends on the circumstance. Is it just a relationship? Are you married? With kids? You truly love him? Was it a one time thing? Who was it with? These are some deciding factors I think. Personally I believe there is no excuse for cheating in any of the above situations. It is not an accident no matter how drunk the person is or whatever. It doesn't "just happen". People say cheaters never change and it's sad to think so. But if that's the case I encourage any woman to be the man about it and leave. You can do better and you deserve better. He will only go downhill from there.
Dano88
Only you can really make that decision. Many people believe that a significant other that cheats cannot be trusted again, but it depends. If you truly believe they regret their action and think they can be trusted to not repeat it, a second chance might be worth trying.
KenziiShy
I have always gone with the initial notion that if someone cheats on me then they don't love me. They are looking for someone better, or more compatible. It doesn't mean I'm a bad person or that I'm a bad girlfriend. It just means he wants something different, his values are different or his desires. I had one guy chest on me and I never looked back. Hardest decision of my life. I cried a lot. But after a couple months I was proud of who I was and I found someone even better. When someone cheats, it's an opportunity for you to move on to someone who you can trust and love for the rest of your life. You don't want to be constantly paranoid with someone because you don't think they're being loyal. Because that isn't love in my book. You should be appreciated for who you are. Not someone they want you to be.
SenpaiXD
No. Cheating is one of the most immoral things a person can do to their significant loved ones. It can only be forgiven in extreme cases where the cheating occurred due to some special situations. Once a cheater, always a cheater.
MirauzeAkilah
No, you should take baby steps and wait to see how he acts. If he cheated on you once, the possibilities of it happening again is very high.
summerof09
If I really love him, Yes I would, but with a condition that once he cheats on me again it will be over for us. Because he already did it once and then followed by another one that means he will be capable of doing it for the third, fourth, fifth, and to the nth time.
auditrice
Trust once broken is never replaced even when we try most of the times that 2nd chance never work. The relationship cant stand on doubts which u will always have because cheating is unacceptable
Anonymous
There is so much to consider with this. Is this the first time? Is he truly sorry? Are you willing to forgive him and start over in your relationship? If you can answer those questions, then you can answer that question for yourself!
lilacenchantress
Have been there, done that, it's not going to work, don't do it. Sorry.
juliette99
This is really up to you.If your heart says yes, then give it to him. If your heart says no, then dont. Relationships rely on trust. Without trust, there is no relationship.
Charrlee
From personal experience, I would say no. If someone is willing to cheat once, they will do it again. If someone is willing to cheat once, there is something broken in that relationship and both parties deserve to be with someone who will be faithful. No on deserves to be subject to being the 'cheated on' or the 'cheated with.'
ptvDarcey
It depends. Sometimes people deserve second chances but if you think that getting back together would end up with you being hurt again, then stay away.
adriancastro
no, because anyone has the relationship must be commited to their word before make the choice. if one of them cheated their commitment, it's no way unless end it up.
SamyIs18yearsOld
Forgiveness is an essential quality. If he really showed he regreted what he did, and if you love him, I think you can forgive him. :)
bubblyNight88
No, let him see what he has lost through the making of his own mistake and he'll regret it sooner or later.
Millefeuille
Never. Love is a decision, not just a feeling. You have to put in mind that all the decision you make should benefit your significant the other in a good way. Cheating is a choice, not a mistake.
olimaar
It depends on you. You should be strong and remember that he disrespected you. You should wait a small time before letting him back into your life, just for some time to yourself. Let him reevaluate his actions.
Anonymous
That's a hard one. I would say it depends on how long you have been together and how many times this has happened. Was it just once and he was very sorry, in my opinion yes try and save your relationship. If it's been multiple times rethink why you are still there and allowing this to continue. Only you can answer that part.
Morgan722
I don't think it would be a good idea. he's hurt you in the past and you should move on and grow from it. i would forgive him but not be back in a relationship because he's done it once and more than likely will do it again. i wish you the best of luck
gracefulEnergy41
Love is a complicated thing because you never know what is going to happen. If you truly love him and can forgive him for his wrong then yes, but also if he does cheat again you should find someone who is willing to give you all of himself and treat you with the respect you deserve.
blessedgirl
Still depends on you, do you still love him? do you still trust him? do you still make you relationship works? If the answer is Yes, then give him another opportunity, believe him again, lead him, and work on you relationship again
Anonymous
Cheating is an incredibly horrible thing, and I would not give him another chance, but you have to do what you feel is right.
lovelyShokora
No. If he love you,there should be no other person.Give him the chance doesn't mean he will never do it again
Alicat711
Completely up to you. Listen to his side of the story and make an informed decision. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone also deserves someone who is 100% committed to them.
TangledRivers
February 22nd, 2016 4:22am
No. He has already disrespected and lied to you if he cheated. That is a frame of mind that does not change just because you're forgiving.
RogerDan555
A big no. If he has enough guts to cheat you, then he should be left alone. Give this opportunity to someone who cares for you.
CCtheHugAddict
Personally, I believe it would be best to try and end it and move on. Try not to harbor any ill will love, try to forgive. However, you'll find yourself throwing his loyalty into question every time he's alone now. That's added stress that I just don't think you want. Trust is absolutely essential in any kind of healthy relationship love, and it's so hard to rebuild once broken. I'm sincerely sorry that this has happened, I know how hard it hits when your trust is broken, but it's only going to create more arguments and stress for not just you but him as well love.