How can I stop talking to my ex after a breakup?

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy

I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

Anonymous
Its tough, the heart hold on tight but you have to try and find distractions, distractions help. It will still be painful but you have got to be stong
serenesunset15
nothing does a job faster than direct words. just tell him you want to move on and talking to him is not helping.
naturalVoice89
Removed them from all of your social media, delete them from your contacts. I write down what I would say to them in a letter and then destroy it also.
TrumpetTrooper1
You have two options in most cases. Either completely cut them off or gradually decrease communication. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Cutting off all communication quickly: Pro- forces you two to stop talking. Con- your ex may think you are mad a them and will pester you. Gradual decrease of communication: Pro- it helps the two of you gradually adjust to life without each other. Con- you still talk to them right after the break up
strawberryMelon86
Think of the things she/he did wrong and remember why you broke up with he/she. Do not make the same mistake you or they did
Anonymous
First make sure thats what you really want. If so, get rid of any thing that will remind you of him/her. Then delete all contact information.
bhetherson4
Breakups take time, and sometimes people need their space before they can reconnect in a new way. whether or not you and your boyfriend want to stop talking depends on your situation, but it is no rarity that some people like to think things over after a breakup.
MightyLittleSoldier
To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer; not to love is to suffer; to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be happy, one must love or love to suffer or suffer from too much happiness.
Lorenzosama
Find something to do. Do what you love doing, completely lose yourself in it. Think about your life, set a goal and work towards it. Set it high enough so when you get to it, you'll feel like you're on top of the world. When you do achieve it, reflect and set some more.
Anonymous
It really depends why it was over. But if you really do not want any contact, let them know and don't contact them. Removing their phone number is a good start, and simply avoiding them if you see them often in your life (school, work, etc.). Start doing something you enjoy, so you don't have to think about them all the time.
laurapb
If you are over, it's for a reason. If it didn't work out once, don't try it again. You need to look to the future instead of the past. You will find love again, whenever is more unexpected. Love is like that, unexpected.
Rainbow1980
Delete his number, and block him on social media...I know its hard, its very hard, but it will stop the temptations!!
Shikaa
Tell them that you don't want to. Delete them from all your social networks and delete their number. Focus on things that you really like and haven't been able to.
Nithou
Don't hesitate to block him on social medias and phones, he'll understand. If you really need to talk, write to him, and keep the letters for yourself (in a first step), then give you some time to think about what you've written. Go back to writing everytime you feel the need, and you'll feel some relieve from it :)
BlackJack911
Dont call him/her, Dont text, block from everywhere, thats what the preseent generation do..........
ChanelMarie
Delete their number and social media and cut off all ties with them until you feel ready to look at them differently than a lover but just as a friend
Hazikk
Wont be able to stop instantly. Just take a gradual approach from once everyday to once a week and so on.
Anonymous
You should try to cut off communication with him so that you have time to focus on yourself and what you deserve .
GodsHumbleServant
Well normally people suggest you to cut all communication with them and that is obviously difficult and works for some but for others I would suggest taking smaller steps at a time. For instance, start meeting them as less as possible. Try avoiding 1 on 1 meetings. Friends hangouts would still be fine provided you're mingling with your other friends and avoiding confrontation from your ex. Shift to one word answers instead of texting longer sentences to your ex. Tell him you're busy and unavailable to him if he wants to meet or talk to you. Try to keep yourself busy. Spend more time with the family. Give some time to your pets. Start mingling with your peers at work/school/collage. Give your self sometime off and plan a short trip or make a outdoor plan with people who're close to you. Do more outdoor activities to release those endorphins and make your self more relaxed and content with yourself, thus reducing the amount of anxiety and stress. Basically, in short, start keeping yourself busy and focus more on you so that you have lesser time to think and talk about and to your ex after a breakup. All in time, obviously.
Anonymous
You can simply not talk to each other. The fact that you broke up already spoke for itself and now you're standing for yourself. If your ex is trying to engage you into a conversation and you're not in the mood at all then you should probably ask your ex to end it in a polite way. In the end you want to have your dignity.
Anonymous
Try talking to other friends, or go out for a run instead! Those really worked for me in my moments of weakness. I have times when I just really want to contact my ex because he was the one who supported me through everything, but I know I shouldn't so I really started to lean on all of my other friends who were super supportive. Never underestimate how much your friends love you, and their collective support may outweigh the longing for your ex! I've also tried really cheerful songs of empowerment, and those really helped too and definitely increased my productivity as well :)
awadd2525
You can stop talking to your ex after a breakup by deleting him from anything that he could contact you from on.
sunalchemy
Cut every connection between you and him. By connection i mean internet, cellphone, talking, etc. It's way better like this trust me.
Princessonablackhorse
speaking from experience, ask a friend you trust to block him on social media from your id. Tell your friends that they not bring up his/her topic in front you so that you aren't attempted to talk to them!
Anonymous
From my experience- delete everything. Is it the most mature? No, but it helped me to feel disconnected and not constantly wondering what he's doing. In time, I was able to reconnect with him, when it wasn't so messy and it didn't hurt anymore. Disconnecting is often the easiest when we cut all ties.
Anonymous
If you two decided to break up, there is obviously a reason why. Often times, we do not see certain things when we are in a relationship. Although break ups can be extremely painful, it is best to take this time to reflect on things. You can't take back what was said and done, however, you can take this time to better yourself and learn from your past. By doing so, you will be focusing on yourself, rather than focusing too much on what is already gone. In this context, your ex partner.
Anonymous
Well there are a few things you can do. For starters block him on everything. Snapchat, facebook, instagram, his number. Whatever you have it's gone. If he finds another way to contact you block that too.
mhiggins
I know sometimes it can be very difficult to stop the feeling towards an ex, but in the long run it gets easier and you can overcome them.
Imad23
Ignore her texts. Get rid of any momentos that might remind you of her. That way you'll stop thinking of her and won't feel the need to talk to her.
ActiveListener0809
Try to focus on yourself. Look for different things to do that are new and can challenge yourself to steer your thoughts to other things.