Are therapists as judgmental as people make them out to be?

Italy

Anna Pavia, psicologa psicoterapeuta psychotherapist psychologist counselor

I feel my work as my personal mission and I love it. My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive. I am a very good listener. I use several approaches. Amo il mio lavoro.

considerateEmbrace86
It depends on the therapist. They may judge you on the inside but if they do on the outside you probably need to find a new therapist because that is a problem that should not be taking place. A therapist is here to help you and guide you through your problems they need to listen and help you get through them all while appealing to you. Some forms of judging may just be ways to help you dig a little deeper into the problem and may not be a bad thing but, if it just gets worse and truly bothers you try reaching out to a new therapist. Everyone is different and has there own ways of helping.
resourcefulbutterfly26
Some may be, but most, are not. I have learned about certain ethics that therapists are expected to follow, and one of those is against being judgmental.
peacefulEyes24
therapists are not judgmental...but some may have their thoughts and opinions set about a certain subject
AloneJoyful
I do not think all of them are. I have had quite a few different ones and they all were good. But I am sure there are ones that just don't have an open mind like others do. If there is one that you like, stay with that person. If you are not sure see if you can find someone else or see if someone can recommend someone for you.
FromDrewWithLove
Not usually, though it depends on the therapist. Usually they're pretty kind and understanding, willing to take things at your personal pace while still pushing you a little to get better. They're usually good listeners as well. There are a few bad apples, sure, but overall, they're not as judgmental as people make them out to be.
Sageypie
No, I've seen 3 therapists in my life and I feel like they try to be helpful. I never really had much success with them because it's impossible to fix mental illness but they do give good tips. Think of them more like a mentor for managing your mental state then a saving grace. (based on my own experiences, there are judgmental one out there, but the majority of them are doing what they are suppose to do).
ugotafriendinme18
No, not at all. Often those who go into psychology or therapy are actually some of the most non-judgemental and kind people you'll ever meet - they just want to help!
Anonymous
No, I don't believe therapists are as judgmental as people make them out to be. Therapists are trained professionals and are supposed to provide help without bias. It would be completely unprofessional for a therapist to be judgmental. By going in to this field, therapists should be passionate about their job and take their oath to help people seriously. I would strongly urge anyone who has felt judged by their therapist to seek a new one. There are many great therapists out there. And once you form a relationship with a good one, it is hard to compare it to anything else.