Can depression lead to other problems? Does it often?

Elizabeth Kincade, Ph.D.

I work collaboratively with clients because together we can make the changes you want and need. I listen and support and as well as advise and coach.

Anonymous
When I was going through depression I found myself giving up on other important parts of my life. Like friendships, study, and just basic day to day activities. For me it did lead to other problems, friendships became harder to keep, my marks began to drop in school and life became harder in general.
KayUK
Most certainly! Depression can have a knock-on effect on our lives outside of our own personal bubble, affecting our work, hobbies, and those around us. That is why it is so important to seek help with depression so you can minimise the damage not only to yourself, but to those who care about you.
SunshineAndStars
I believe that depression can lead to other problems. One, when you are depressed, you often do not feel like eating and/or drinking water. So, it has major health consequences. Also, a lot of times depression and anxiety go hand-in-hand. When one is depressed, one may think of negative statements about oneself as truths, and this assumption makes us panic, which fuels anxiety. How often? That, I feel, depends. But quite often it does. It did for me.
ALifeWorthLiving
Yes, depression can lead to many other mental and physical problems. Certain things that it can lead to include social anxiety, poor appetite, suicidal thoughts, etc. If you are actively treating depression, it is unlikely that you will face these problems
Peter
It is important to note the depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Depression has to be diagnosed, and feeling low does not always mean you have depression. Depression can lead to other problems due to its symptoms. One of the most common is suicidal ideation, but others may include; Anxiety ect.
Anonymous
Yes, depression can lead to other problems. It does often lead to other problems which is why you should try and get help or talk to someone if you need to. Depression can effect your relationships, friendships and even physical health.
Anonymous
Depression can lead to other problems like increase heart rate if you end up getting panic attack too, crying to the point you can't breathe, preventing you to talk and socialize with others that can be turn into social anxiety and it depends how often you have depression that depends how long and when these can occur.
creativejourney18
Depression that isn't treated can certainly lead to other problems. I am aware that some people choose to self medicate with drugs or alcohol. It can also lead to difficulty in personal relationships and at work. I have witnessed first hand that untreated depression can also lead to mistreating others. My brother-in-law had suffered from depression for years and he took this out on his wife and children. He was constantly yelling at them, swearing at them, belittling them, and even showing physical aggression towards his wife. Finally she left him witch was the catalyst for him seeking help. After being placed on anxiety and depression medications and getting some counseling, he was able to reconcile with his wife and children. They are all doing much better. I don't know how often depression can lead to other problems but like with any other illness, not getting treatment can result in a worsening of the condition.
Anonymous
Depression causes detrimental effects. It has a cascade effect. One problem leads to another leads to another. It can lead to physical issues. I read an article which stated that you can judge the severity of your depression by analysis your body, by how much pain you have and/ or how tired you feel. The good news is you can reverse this effect by doing as much good as possible, caring for others as little or as much as you can. It releases ‘feel good’ chemicals inside our brain. Please also get professional help if you aren’t already! This isn’t a problem that often just goes away