Do you have to have a reason to feel depressed?

Alex DS Ellis, MA, LMFT

Feeling depressed or anxious can be so overwhelming. I want to help you feel better and be able to enjoy life. You are not alone and you deserve emotional support.

Anonymous
Often, when we are depressed, there is no reason. It is just a feeling that comes and goes. Sometimes we have better days than others and sometimes we feel depressed for no reason. As long as you keep your head up and have someone to talk to, you will be okay. Even though it may feel like we will never feel okay, it's good to have support when we need it the most.
BlueButterfly4
No, you do not. Unfortunately there are medical conditions that have the side effect of triggering Depression.
Bluewolf1229
No.. depression can hit you out of the blue. That is when you need to really pay attention and keep track of mood changes. I would suggest seeking the advice of a trained medical personal.
MissMeghan
Not necessarily, sometimes you can feel depressed if you're just plain bored, or are overthinking too much, if you ever feel depressed for no apparent reason, go out, and do something, anything, watering the garden, feeding the cat, even working on a hobby you love, anything to just put your mind in a different place
EmilyLemony
Absolutely not! Depression can, and often does, come out of nowhere. You never need a reason to feel the way you're feeling.
softstrawberry
of course not! anyone can experience depression. you don't need a reason.
ChasingSunsets7
No. Depression can happen at any moment and any time, whether you're doing something or nothing completely at all. But at the same time depression is mostly caused by a reason, whether it's relationships, jobs, friendships, family, etc. Those have a huge influence on depression, and it's ushally what causes depression to happen. But there are days where everything is going pretty good and still don't want to get out of bed.
hopetohelpp
No, you don't. Depression is a condition that doesn't depend on anything. You don't need a reason to be depressed, the waves of blueness just come and go whenever they feel like it, and as trashy as it might feel that's not much we can do about it. If you're looking to seek for help about depression i sugges you find a therapist near you, trust me, it really helps.
Anonymous
No, you do not have to have a reason to feel depressed. Depression could be because of family history. It could be due to a serious medical condition. Also, it could be due to medications. It could also be Seasonal Affect Disorder. It could be due to drug and alcohol use. It could be due to early losses and trauma. Depression could also could be caused by stress. Depression can be caused by personality. Depression can be hormonal. Depression can be biochemical. All in all, there are many causes for depression. You do not have to have a reason to be depressed.
Hakku
Sometimes, You do not need a reason feel depressed. It is also unrealistic to try to be happy all the time, However, you can choose to react to life in a positive manner. Negative feelings will come back to you and it is certainly not wrong to feel this way. I know how hard it is to get out of bed every morning when feeling this way. Take your first step to being gentle with yourself, take all the time you need to think about what you have done in the past few years, Sometimes, you just need a different perspective to discover yourself. You are an individual with your own path and You are unique in so many different ways, you are stronger than you think, you are not falling behind, you are doing a great job hanging in there. Baby steps! A tiny achievement is an accomplishment!
Anonymous
No. When I was told that I should have a reason to be depressed, it made me feel terrible because I didn't have any reason to feel suffocated by this illness. It just sometimes creeps silently when you're enjoying a movie then comes and devour your mind when you're about to sleep. It really sucks when people think that you're only depress when something bad happened. It's not like that. It's not always that way, if it was, then I think people wouldn't struggle getting out of this illness or feel happy because they know a reason, they have a map that they can use to get out.
Anonymous
I think there is always a reason. But the reason may or may not be recognized. Depression can be related to some experience or biological issue. It may take time and efforts to truly understand why a person feel depressed. It is commonplace that depressed people will deny their feelings because being depressed is sometimes perceived to being lazy, weak, worthless or even harmful. However the feeling shows up. It is true. A person does not have to have a reason, or anything other thing, to feel depressed. As long as a person is alive, he or she can feel depressed.
AndrewLupis
The word "have" may constitute different meanings for people. If by "have to have a reason" means that you need to be able to explain why you feel depressed, then I would say no - you do not need to know why you feel depressed and you do not need to justify your position to anyone if you do know why you feel that way. You should move at your own pace and share your own thoughts only if you want to. There is a reason you may feel depressed, however, it is possible that you may not be aware of why you feel depressed. There could be many different reasons that someone feels depressed, some of which may be: use of alcohol/drugs, lack of sleep or exercise, issues with relationships or an overall let down that things seem to rarely go as planned. There are so many other reasons that a person may feel depressed, so if you are seeking deeper answers then it may be useful to seek expert assistance.
Anonymous
I've had a countless amount of depressed periods throughout my life so far, and none of them have been easy. Trying to explain how I'm feeling to others has always been just as difficult. The usual responses were always along the lines of asking me exactly what I was depressed about. Sometimes I had a specific answer for them, but more times than not I didn't. Some tried to invalidate what I was going through by telling me that I needed a reason to be depressed, and it always made me feel worse in the end. They very clearly didn't understand exactly what depression is. Since depression is caused by a chemmical imbalance in the brain, it's very possible to be depressed without knowing exactly why. Researching about depression and how it works really helped me to deal with it, and I'd recommend anyone to do the same.