How can I stay motivated when I suffer from depression?

Terrence Sawyer, MS Counseling Psychology

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Social disorders counseling social psychology, substance use disorder counsel

Anonymous
By putting in mind that all people pass through bad periods and feel depressed ,alone and unsupported .but the strong person never give up and know it 's just a bad period and everything will be ok . I must be patient and see the good side of everything i'm passing through
Anonymous
Find what makes you happy. Hold on to that feeling and repeat it and see yourself doing it. If walking outside gives you a break from any negative thoughts then do that. If petting a dog makes you happy then do that. Hold on to what is good and let more good flow to you.
IamHan
Everyday, I pick at least one thing I do. It's usually shower, going to the groceries or playing my favorite music. Texting with friends helps me too when I am not able to meet them personally. Most important thing to be happy about when you wake up is simply the fact that you are ALIVE, my therapist told me. Even if you can't do anything at all, you are here, living, breathing and that's enough to feel good about for now.
MalaJoe
It is really tough to stay motivated, but what helps me personally is setting small goals for myself. And with small I mean small! Sometimes it‘s just a goal for me to go to school the next day! Not the whole week, not the whole month, just the next day. So set little goals!
GermanZebraCupcake
I would start with the basics. Make sure that you are eating well, drinking enough water, and showering regularly. Once this becomes a habit, you will find it a little easier to start doing other tasks regularly.
Anonymous
There are many ways to keep yourself motivated, a lot of self-help articles will tell you that, and they might be true, but the reality is that, at some point it all boils down to forcing yourself a certain discipline. If anything else doesn't help, force a different routine and motivation will follow.
Anonymous
Depression is really a hard one to stay motivating however here what helps me. I do the following. - take a walk - buy myself a ice cream - I cry it out. - scream in a pillow - pet a dog - listen to my favorite music. - cook my favorite meal. I try to read daily positive quotes which help me a lot ! - I watch many funny YouTube videos ! I also tell myself - I matter - I am loved - I am strong I remember to take care of myself and to know that things will get better. To remain on the positive.
Petra1234
In the beginning it's good to admit to yourself that you have less energy than you used to. Being okay with it, is the good step and makes you more comfortable before starting your tasks. Unfortunately the bad news is that during depression you cannot stop and wait for motivation because it's barely possible that it comes. The rule is - start doing things as if you were not depressed. If you start it would be much more easier. Than the feeling of finishing something is more likely to give you motivation for further steps. Little tasks at the beginning are the best :) and last but not least - taking the shower always helps.
KaMaCare
First I try not to overload myself and try to take one day at a time. That way I am present and feel more grounded in the moment :0) ABC journaling is also helpful if I feel like I am stuck. Sometimes through journaling I am able to see that my thought processes are not accurate and therefore the message I am telling myself is convoluted and falsely leading me to negative emotions that do no good. This process then allows me to change the inaccurate message to a clearer accurate message that facilitates inner growth without a lot of emotional distress. Also, I find truth in the saying that personal actions bring about feelings. Therefore even when "I do not feel like it" I will take a walk to clear my mind -or- even if "I do not feel like it" I will complete an assignment, meditation, eating a good meal, helping someone else, etc.. After I do these small actions it always put me in a better frame of mind and a healthy place in the moment.