How can I stay motivated when I suffer from depression?

Terrence Sawyer, MS Counseling Psychology

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Social disorders counseling social psychology, substance use disorder counsel

spesh98
sit in lighter rooms , try and be more active , eat healthily , set daily goals you could try the 7 day positivity challenge , you have you write 3 positive things about your self and another 3 about your day for 7 days
AnnieElen
Just always remind yourself about who you are. You are the expert on you, not other people. Believe in yourself, because that's just how you grow.
Sophia22Shaikh
take some time,relax and talk to a friend.Go to a place you really like and try try to distract yourself for sometime,when you start feeling better think what made you depresses and try to overcome that!!
Anonymous
being motivated is very hard to do when someone suffers from depression, but its not impossible. I've learned over the years that keeping a schedule helped keep me motivated because I had a visual reminder of what things I needed to accomplish and when.
Anonymous
By finding a goal in life that you can stick with. Make a plan in life or even remind yourself of the little things in life that you feel content about or even smile about.
Anonymous
talk to someone or write down how you feel. It's gonna be a hard time, but don't let anything bring you down.
Bubbyduckie
Always have something to look forward to in your day. Even if it's something simple as putting on comfortable clothes when you get home from work
Anonymous
D o something you like to do no matter how hard it is fake it 2 make it and it will get easier and easier.
Anonymous
Depression is a monster because it can make you feel so useless and frightened that any thought of taking action seems fruitless. It's important to remember that you must stay active and keep yourself occupied in some way. It's also good to find people to support you during this time.
Luceee
Do things that interest you. Enjoy art? Create things. Love animals? Volunteer at a shelter..Or just take your dog for a walk, or cuddle your cat. Do things that you enjoy doing. See friends, watch uplifting films.
Nexilva
don't try to focus on one thing for too long, that's what helped me. I also listen to music that puts me in a good mood as I'm working, so if you normally or just can listen to music whilst working then you should give that a try.
Ria
By listening to active music, communicating with a family member or a close friend, going somewhere peaceful.
ChamomileComfort
Be willing to delegate tasks, do minimum necessary work, and be with other people whenever possible.
Anonymous
Try to find new things that you might somehow enjoy. Try different things from what motivated you before. Also, I'd consider learning more and more about everything, that way you get interested in something else and somehow you motivate yourself to learn more.
Sydnee
When I suffered from depression, I always found a book to read that lifted my spirits. A book that I will never forget that always made me smile was the Pushing the Limits series.
Anonymous
reason is one of the most powerful things i have encountered so find a reason and get the work done.
Anonymous
Keep yourself surrounded by the ones you love. Also do the activities you enjoy most as much as possible.
Anonymous
The best way to stay motivated is to find a couple of friends and do something that you think you will enjoy. If you go out on a long walk, it will keep you active and healthy.
craftyunicorn
Set achievable goals for yourself. IE. getting out of bed in the morning - getting a healthy breakfast
Anonymous
You can keep yourself motiveted when you suffer from depression, by understanding what depression actually is. Remember that all you are going through is due to depression and once it gives control over you, you are free to move ahead freely in your life. Keeping this thought in mind, you can motivate yourself.
Anonymous
motivation is the hardest thing to get when you are depressed. but, if you try to see the positive things in everything, it's easier. Try to set a goal for everyday, something that will make you get out of bed everyday :)
DipityEnigma
Think of depression as something that you have to control, not the other way around. Keep telling yourself that you're in control of yourself, not your mentality. It may also help to have goals posted somewhere like on your bedroom wall where you can see it on a daily basis to help you gain the motivation you need to push yourself.
compassionateDog36
by doing things you love or enjoyed doing like crafts friends and getting the support to help u in depression
thoughtfulShoulder25
Depression can really hinder our motivation to get things done or even just getting out of bed. Dealing with depression can be very lonely, and many people suffering with it can feel like no one else feels the way they do, or understands daily struggles. I think a way to stay motivated is to find other who also experience what you experience. Support groups can be a wonderful way to stay motived, just being around others who've experienced or continue to experience your same struggles can prove to be very powerful with motivation.
Anonymous
Do basic things everyday, such as changing clothes, bathing, and brushing your teeth. Those things go a long way for someone who is suffering from depression even though they may be difficult.
ChickenTenders16
Do what you love that's positive it can be a sport or anything something thing special to motivate you
Anonymous
I'm still struggling with issues surrounding motivation, so I don't exactly know how to answer this question.
JillieJillie
I personally find breaking down time helps. If you can't handle the day, take things by the hours. If they hours are too long, just take it ten mins at a time.... if even that's too hard, just do things minute by minute. I've once been in a position where even the seconds are unbearable. Just remember if you can get through one minute, you can get through another one too.
hockeylover19
I listen to certain songs I know will boost my confidence, I have an entire playlist, and spending some time improving my confidence always makes me feel good.
Anonymous
Make two lists. One with every single thing you enjoy and make you happy and the other one with stuff you want to make before you die. Start doing things fron the last thing and reward yourself treating yourself with one thing from the first list