How do I know if I'm sad or depressed?

How do I know if I'm sad or depressed?
★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Nora MacQuarrie, MEd

Calgary counselling psychologist assisting clients in times of stress, change, loss, worry, sadness, confusion, distress, and crisis.

Anonymous
Depression is prolonged sadness mood, paired with cognitive impairments (i.e., difficulty concentrating, memory loss), which leads to impairments in your life. On the other hand, sadness is just a mood that comes and goes and doesn't lead to impairment in your life.
ItIsANewDay
I guess being sad doesen't last that long. If it does you become depressed. Depression is something that lasts long and it numbs your feelings totaly and saddnes is a feeling right? Sddnes is when you have some days where you feel down but get over it fast. Depression grips you and pulls you into darknes and you see no way out. It's like drowning I guess.
Anonymous
Has lost enjoyment and interest in doing recreational activity, lost desire for friends and socialism, has been sad for more than 2 weeks, is having suicidal thoughts, etc. If you have had one or more of these symptoms for more than a week, then it is very possible you have depression to some degree. If you have 2 or more of these symptoms and have had them for over 2 weeks, then you for sure have at least medium stage depression.
zoelistening
Depression is when sadness, which is a normal, human emotion, gets out of control to the point where it is affecting your day-to-day life. Where sadness is temporary, depression may last for weeks, months, or years.
HereToListen2You
Sad, lasts a pretty short time, however depression reoccurs over multiple weeks/months even? Seek help!
jimmyfalzone
If the sadness doesn't go away like from the time you wake up till the time you go to sleep and you are constantly feeling down for extended periods of time e.g days on end, its most likely depression and you should consult a doctor
Anonymous
If you are sad more than a day than it is classified as depression. If it lasts less than a day than your just feeling a little blue.
Anonymous
Depression is more than just being sad. It makes you feel worthless and useless. And unlike sadness, it won't go away. Also, sadness is usually because of something; depression can be about nothing at all.
car18gc
sad is part of depression. but being depressed is when suicidal thoughts come in mind, and stuff like that. being sad is not for a long time
swasti
Sadness is something we all experience; it’s a normal, human emotion. We experience it when we experience something unpleasant in life—a loss, a disappointment, and so on. But Sadness is not constant. Sadness is not an every-moment-of-every-day thing like depression is. Sadness relents, depression doesn’t. Sadness is interrupted by periods of laughter; depression often can’t be budged by even the most talented comedian. Sadness may usher in negative thoughts but it does not propel a person into a place of suicidal ideation. Sadness may reduce our ability to enjoy life but it doesn’t destroy it all together. Sadness may last for what feels like a long period of time, but it does not remain constant for weeks or months. Sadness doesn’t produce significant weight changes or prolonged periods of sleep changes. Sadness doesn’t include psychosis. Depression is not just an extension of sadness. In addition to low mood and loss of interest, depression can have other troubling symptoms, including: 1. sleep problems: either sleeping too much, being unable to fall asleep, or waking up in the night 2. appetite issues: either eating too much, or not wanting to eat 3. low energy levels 4. concentration problems 5. negative thinking or feeling very pessimistic At the extremes, people may have thoughts about not wanting to live anymore and have plans about how they would take their life,That is in no way a normal variance of sadness. But The most important thing to know is that depression is treatable,Regardless of the cause, there are effective treatments for depression.
Anonymous
Depression is a very on-going thing. If it's continued for very long periods of time and it's stopping you from going out and doing normal tasks like shopping, cooking, cleaning or stops you enjoying your hobbies then maybe go and seek help for it?
PondIsle
Being sad is an emotion- it's temporary. Depression is a state of mind, and arguably, a disorder. Sadness goes away with time, and you can push through it. Depression is a more permanent fixture in your life, and tends to do more damage. You don't want to get out of bed, or eat, or go to work, or school, or care much about anything. That's depression...
Anonymous
You know you are depressed when your sad mood stays for a long period of time. You have a loss or a gain of appetite, loss of interest in things that matter to you, feeling hopeless or even suicidal. It's best to seek professional help.
Anonymous
I know I'm depressed when I feel melancholy, listless, hopeless and have no motivation. It goes on for a least a week, and while I'll smile, I know I'm not really happy. I'll cry for no reason every night for at least a week, and I'll have trouble sleeping.
Anonymous
when you're depressed you don't talk to anyone, you avoid everyone even your best friend. You may think that's sadness but it's different. When you're sad it only lasts a little bit but when your depressed, it lasts a pretty long time.
Anonymous
Being sad- you are sad for a while and you can snap out of it. You cannot just snap out of depression. It is bigger than you. You are not lazy or weak. Reaching out is the first most important step!
godsgirlrhizzy
You should talk to a professional. They can determine which is which, if you cannot identify this yourself.
Sunflowerseverywhere
Everyone has bad days, and it is completely normal. However, there is usually a reason for those sad days. Maybe you lost your job, failed a test, or had an argument with a friend. However, depression is more of a general sadness over time. A lot of depressed people experience an emptiness they can't explain, and it does not go away in the blink of an eye.
Michael77
Sad is fleeting, whereas depression is more long-lasting and has other accompanying symptoms. One can be depressed and not recognize it, but have all of the symptoms. There are a number of depression tests available online, including this site. It's worth checking out. Though the tests may indicate that you fall somewhere on the depression spectrum, you should seek a professional for an official diagnosis and for help in managing it.
Anonymous
If the symptoms last over a longer period of time. Its usually caused by a lack of a chemical in your brain usually dopamine which helps the neurotransmitters in your brain pass messages. What you can do to help it is see a doctor to get on some meds to help dix the chemical imbalance and or a therapist.
Anonymous
Sadness is a temporary feeling. Though it hurts. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's when I can see an end to the pain or suffering. It doesn't consume every waking moment. With depression it can often be all consuming. It is my every thought. It is not something I can just snap out of. Or cheer up. Though I can appear to be happy, inside I am greatly pained.
TreeLover
Sadness and depression are often cofused, but they are not unrelated. A depressed person will feel sad most of the time, while a sad person doesn't necessarily have depression. The difference can easily be told if you consider how long you've been feeling this way, and is there a clear reason for it. Depression often lasts for weeks, months, even years and it might not even feel like sadness anymore, just general antipathy, emotional numbness, disinterest in everything. If you can tell the reason easily, for example, "I'm sad because my friend back-stabbed me", then it's most likely just sadness and it's easier to get better. Depression most of the time has multiple reasons that might not be easily identified, sometimes it just seems that you're sad for no reason. However, the single reason sadness in time might turn into depression, gathering up stones along the way and piling them on the heart. So, if you are cofused whether you are depressed or just sad, it might help you out to try identifying the cause of your feelings, how long you have been suffering and also, considering what would have to change.
Anonymous
IF the symptoms last longer, thinking about suicide, self harm, numbness, and slowly loosing all hope. These made me understand that I was depressed
Anonymous
Depression is a mental illness that can cause serious problems and affect your daily life greatly. Sadness comes around every so often and does not have the long lasting effects depression does. Depression can cause insomnia, changes in eating patterns, not going out with people as often or at all.
MandyCaliaba
You need to spit it out and talk to an adult immediately. If you feel it's getting worse everyday, then I suggest you to get an appointment with a specialist. You cannot diagnose yourself.
WinterBreezer
If you are feeling empty and nothing is worth living for, that' how you know if you are depressed and not just sad.
Sunshine99x
because some signs and symptoms of depression include feeling sad, down or miserable most of the time or losing interest or pleasure in usual activities
Anonymous
Because the depression lasts for quite a long time and it affects you physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually whereas sadness affects you but not for that length of time.
Anonymous
Depression continues over a long periods of time, while sadness comes ang goes and usually doesn't last that long.
FallingSnows
It's not just a little hard for you to get up in the mornings. It's the most difficult thing in the world to force yourself to get up, to force yourself to do what you need to do. You just want to lay down and sleep rather than live your day. Things that once made you happy do not seem to have any affect and you go into these down moments where you honestly wouldn't care what happened to do. It's very hard to confuse sad and depressed if you're both.