How do I know if I'm sad or depressed?

How do I know if I'm sad or depressed?
★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Nora MacQuarrie, MEd

Calgary counselling psychologist assisting clients in times of stress, change, loss, worry, sadness, confusion, distress, and crisis.

Anonymous
You don't like to do the things anymore you'd loved to do at first. You're not able to get out of bed and if you do, you feel tired all of the time. You'll notice that you're not smiling as much as you did and that you might be loosing contact with the people who were at first so important in your life. You're living more inside of your head and don't want to go outside and do things anymore.
Anonymous
Everyone experiences sadness at points in their lives. Depression is far different. Depression tends to be prolonged in nature and can be accompanied by mood swings, weight changes, decreased interest in normal activities, insomnia, and other non desirable personality changes. If you think you are suffering from depression please consult your doctor.
Islah
Being sad is the general feeling of just being blue. A lot of people feel that way sometimes. However, if it gets to a point where you constantly feel sad, if you are feeling suicidal, if you have an urge to self harm, or if you feel hopeless, that is known as depression. If you feel depressed, please seek professional help. Stay strong! c:
Anonymous
When you are sad or depressed you tend to act different. Since all people are different, you might not k ow as soon as it started. Sometimes you might find yourself more distant from others. Or maybe you don't wanna leave a certain place.
DarkFairy99
When sadness persists for more than two weeks and affects your life in some aspects you're probably depressed. When you're depressed it's harder for the ones around you to notice that you're not okay, because when you're depressed you tend to pretend that everything's okay with you and your life.
Anonymous
Great question. Well, if you're depressed it usually lasts longer than 4 weeks and is persistent. Depression can be felt at all times, but sadness isn't felt as extreme. Sadness is natural, and it's okay to be sad. But I recommend never going through sadness or depression alone!
Anonymous
You'll know that you're sad or depressed when people around you make jokes and everyone is laughing but you, you start losing appetite, you find it hard to concentrate on your work and/or even when worse come to worst, the possibility to hurt yourself somehow crosses your mind.
heyimbernard
December 23rd, 2015 5:11am
Sadness is a momentary feeling, considered healthy and important for doctors. Help in the preparation of losses, or occasional pain. People affected by the occurrence of losses, employment or loved ones are going through a phase of suffering and distress, which may last for a certain period of time. Now, if the sadness does not pass, and begin to arise feelings of apathy, indifference, hopelessness, lack of prospects or enjoyment of life, know that this is a clear symptom of depression. Symptoms can appear or disappear in a subtle and almost imperceptible, but it is important to know that they can come back. Depression is a serious illness and so should be treated.
SourAndTheSweet
December 23rd, 2015 9:43pm
It's that feeling in my gut when I wake up or am in the middle of the day. It's this feeling that something is off. I know I don't WANT to feel this way, but I do. I would give anything to stop it. One day... I don't know how... But it mostly went away... I think it was when I really started to let go. It comes back from time to time. I know it'll always be here with me... But I can live. I know I can survive.
Anonymous
Sad is temporary. You get sad for maybe a week. Depression is the loss of motivation. Emptiness. Constant sadness. Feeling like nothing matters. Feeling alone, like no one cares. Depression is long term.
HeyItsMary11
When your sad, you know the reason why you are sad and sadness is just temporary. The feeling will go away, also, when your sad you cant hide it. When youre depress you hide it in smiles and laughters but youre just empty inside. When youre depress you never really know the reason why...you may had from the start but in a long run, you get lost in it and the feeling never really goes away. There are good days and bad days in depression.
Your sad when something gets you down and you cry and feel down a little while about it but you pick yourself up and move on afterwards. Depression is when you feel down for a long period of time and find it hard to pick yourself up and move on.
FountainOfTruth
If you want a quick and dirty answer: You know you're depressed when you're persistently sad *and* you feel like you can't do anything to change that. If you're unsure, see your doctor.
SmileyJess
Depression is not just an extension of sadness. In addition to low mood and loss of interest, depression can have other troubling symptoms, including: Sleep problems: either sleeping too much, being unable to fall asleep, or waking up in the night Appetite issues: either eating too much, or not wanting to eat Low energy levels Concentration problems Negative thinking or feeling very pessimistic
Anonymous
If you're sad you are just sad but if you're depressed you don't care about anything at all it is usually easy to tell
Anonymous
When you are depressed, you'll know. Depression isn't just I feel a little sad today. It's I've felt sad continuously for a few weeks or months. You may not enjoy things you use to, be more tired, and just be worn out when you haven't done anything.
wonderfulhurrane74
I think that sadness its a momentary feeling that will eventually pass with time. Depresion It is based on a permanent grief, sadness in the long run, a sadness that dominates our brain which doesnt allow you to feel any other feeling but negative feelings. Ill hope that i make my self clear:)
Shunyata
When you don't want to get out of bed anymore, that's when you know things are getting bad again....
CarryOnMyWaywardIdjits
It is not a mood. It won't just disappear, no matter what anyone says or what you want to feel like. So please, if your sadness is incurring and not going away, seek help. We're all here for you and we aren't going anywhere. Xx
Anonymous
depression is when youre very sad for long periods of time. being sad is when its a day or two. but honestly you can never be sure unless you go visit a doctor.
funnyVision29
Depression is usually a reoccurring feeling of sadness thay can come about with no clear reason. Sadness usually occurs right after something sad happens or takes place.
Anonymous
If you have felt this way for more than two weeks and you have feelings of worthlessness or uselessness and you feel like you are alone and empty, you are more likely to have depression than just be sad.
CHETAN
Sadness is a normal human emotion. It is something we all experience. Depression is a constant state of mind. It is an abnormal emotional state, a mental illness to be more accurate. When we are depressed we feel sad about almost everything. One more difference which i can think of is that sadness requires an event or a trigger to happen but when we are depressed we don’t need any trigger, we are depressed no matter what happens. Considering someone with an illness merely to be “sad” is an insult to that person and minimizes an illness that takes thousands of lives every year.
meboysen
The best way to find out is check the symptoms of depression using the Depression Self Help Guide or visiting your doctor. From there you can determine whether or not you are depressed.
Anonymous
It would depend on how long it lasts. If the sadness lasts a couple of weeks, it may be more than sadness.
Anonymous
January 2nd, 2016 1:24am
There is a big difference between sad and depressed, but the main one is that when you're sad, you actually feel like crying, or giving up, but with depression, you actually don't feel anything, you feel like you have a hole in your heart, and you just don't like doing anything, and there isn't a single thing that gives you any satisfaction.
JakeTS
January 2nd, 2016 12:00pm
Sadness is a temporary emotion and passes quickly, however it can be caused by any other emotion. We can feel sad due to loneliness, loss or grief. However depression is a long lasting on/off emotion, that consumes ones life. There are many different forms of depression and the main symptom is Withdrawal. However the best advice possible is to seek professional advice. Doctors surgeries are anonymous and always a great source of knowledge. Whether it turns out your depressed or not, the doctor will always be able to help.
FirmThoughts
January 2nd, 2016 5:30pm
If you're sad, then you are in the state of being lonely for a moment of time but still able to work and easily do things just a little bit unmotivated. Unlike when depressed, you are in the state of being worthless, lack of interest, purposeless, and anything that involves life will come up to your mind, such us its meaning and how it will be spent, and commonly it is a chronic term that lasts for weeks, months, or even a year and its cause are mainly from tragic events, trauma, and family conflicts.
Sashax00
January 3rd, 2016 6:13am
You can tell you have/getting depression with these symptoms: *NOTE* These are just my symptoms, depression is different for everyone, meaning it can be completely different for you. Find it hard to enjoy hobbies you regularly do Wanting to spend more time alone than usual (Even if you're an introvert like me, you can still not want too speak to others even more than usual) Less appetite A lot of tiredness, pretty much all the time Feeling empty, or as if you dont have a meaning or purpose Feeling as if you have an anchor in your chest, weighing you down all the time. Forcing yourself out of bed, instead of wanting to get out yourself. Wanting to cry a lot more Nothing makes you happy Distancing yourself from others Feeling completely alone, even if you are talking to someone, or in a room with others. Feeling hopeless. Some severe cases: Wanting to hurt yourself. Wanting to end yourself.
Anonymous
If you are depressed, you will feel tired a lot, and sad all the time maybe you just want to cry all the time. You might have suicidal feelings and feel extremely lonely