How do you find the motivation to get things done during the more challenging periods?

Germany

Nathalie Dramis, Diploma

Helping people is my passion. I believe that anyone can benefit from therapy and counseling. My approach is holistic and tailored to you and your specific needs.

Anonymous
Break things down into ridiculouly small things, keep breaking it down until the one step is super easy, it doesn't sound like much to do, then do one, and after doing that one thing, then decided, if you want to do the next step. Here's an example. If I have to get out of my bed in the morning, and finding it difficult due to depression, I would break it down, ( turn to my right side, take off the covers, move my right leg, move my left leg, sit up, stand up, turn light on). each of those steps is easy individually, but if I made it one step i.e. like get out of bed, the latter might not be possible but the smaller ones are.
ListeningZigs
Force a deadline. Having problems cleaning the house? Solution: invite someone over. Now I HAVE to clean up because they're coming over.
lilacenchantress
Tell yourself that it's now or never, and remind yourself the happiness you are going to get when you meet your goals finally and that it's really worth it :)
HeartfulPerspective
It is never easy but just taking small steps, such as getting yourself out of bed and rewarding yourself for that can help reinforce you into trying more small steps, which will add up to huge steps :)
DancingAlong
Setting small goals helps me build motivation. If I need to read an article for school, at the end of every page I'll eat a gummy bear, or listen to a song. Small goals with small rewards that then build up to bigger goals helps me a lot.
HeWhoListens
For me, knowing the feeling that I get when I accomplish something is the motivation I need to push through the challenging periods. Seeing that joy that comes from a job done makes me strive my hardest, even when things are a bit rough.
Anonymous
Best thing is to look around you. Example, an ant. It carries a burden almost twenty times its size. Yet, its determination helps it to succeed. The world is full of inspirations just waiting to be discovered.
FT
Sometimes it's okay to take a break. You don't have to be in fully-auto mode all the time! That being said, never lose sight of your goals - while it's fine to not work actively towards them each and every day, try not to go backwards, too!
CaptainBatkat
Every morning, right after i wake up, I'll stand in front of my mirror in my room, and I'll remind myself why I'm doing what I am doing, I'll remember myself about all the bright sides of life, and I'll tell myself that, when this hard time is over, there will come a bright day, there's always a rainbow after the storm. So stand my ground and believing in myself is what gives me motivation!
LauraMSW87
Often, the more I think about all that I have to get done, the more anxious I get. The more I stress about things I have to do, the harder it is to get started. I find that just starting something, even if it's just doing the vry first step, can be such a huge relief and can make continuing on to complete the task that much easier.
caringvoices42
Writing down my goals of the day or week and how I am going to achieve them really help for motivation! It makes things easier to process and almost like an achievement when you have accomplished that goal, it's a really good way to pick up your motivation!
strugglingone
Deadlines are the best motivation :)
animalUnicorns62
November 2nd, 2015 8:23am
Sometimes it's hard to do things. However I know that this is what makes me strong - when I am not feeling like doing something but I do it regardless of my resistance. I just know my goals and know what I have to do to reach them. And when I am pursuing my goals, it makes me feel good in a long-term.
Anonymous
Think about things one at a time, dont try to think of everything at once. Or make a list! Writing down all of your plans might help, or it might stress you out more; it just depends on the person you are. Try it out, it may help.
MerlinMarsify
In my experience, there's very little you can do about motivation ever, much less during challenging times in your life. Sure there are things that can get you pumped up and excited, but that's really a temporary fix, y'know? I feel like motivation is a rare thing that comes and goes at random. Sometimes you feel good and you feel like getting out there and doing some good work. Other times (maybe most of the time) you feel neutral or worse than neutral, and it's difficult to be able to do anything. Just this morning I was shocked at myself because I actually picked up one of the cook books that have been collecting dust on my shelf, and I actually used it to make food! Then I even cleaned the house! Completely out of nowhere. Why did I suddenly feel a rush of feeling to do something that morning? I don't know, who could know for sure? Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is that there's not really much way to "find" motivation. If it's there, it's there, and vice versa. Obviously that's not really a solution to your problem. Every situation is different but I'd think that instead of looking for motivation you should probably work on doing everything you can to get through the challenging portion of your life.
GoldenEars77
“The moment you wake up, right away, you can smile. That’s a smile of enlightenment. You are aware that a new day is beginning, that life is offering you twenty-four brand-new hours to live, and that that’s the most precious of gifts.” “Your purpose is to be yourself. You don't have to run anywhere to become someone else. You are wonderful just as you are.”
PhenixNLP
I find motivation to get things done by not creating overwhelm. Making my "to do" list more manageable!
funnyMoment18
keep calm, take deep breaths and priorities what you need the most. if its difficult then take help, talk about it and just go for it