How to deal with depression fallout?

Mexico

Paola Giordani, Psychoanalyst

Licensed Psychoanalyst

I have helped and am helping people cope with loss, divorce, anguish and parenting. Depression is also a major issue that comes up.

calmingMist38
January 31st, 2018 2:42pm
Stay in touch Don't withdraw from life. Socialising can improve your mood. Keeping in touch with friends and family means you have someone to talk to when you feel low. Be more active Take up some form of exercise. There's evidence that exercise can help lift your mood. If you haven't exercised for a while, start gently by walking for 20 minutes every day.
PosiPotato
Begin with something small perhaps.... like writing down all of your feelings and then throwing away or burning the paper you wrote it on. We all need a little release sometimes.
MollyCule
Survive. Allow yourself to rest as much as possible; whatever responsibilities you can hand off to somebody else, do it. Whatever self care you can muster, do it. Talk to people, on here or in your personal life. Hang in there, and just survive, until you can live your life again.
Anonymous
Give yourself permission to take the time you need to heal and treat yourself as gently as you would when you had a flu. Don't be angry with yourself. You didn't ask for this. It is stealing all your engery. Take care of yourself in order to recover and don't feel guilty about it.
YourVeganSister
The best thing you can have is support. Someone that will listen to you, and love you no matter what. They don't even have to understand, listening is enough
Engineeringhappiness
try to do what you enjoy doing. stay close to your family and if you are suicidal get help! do you remember the last time you were faced with a crisis and you thought you werent gonna make it? well, you did! and you can do it again!
heartsandhelping
Remember that everything is always changing around you and so will the depression. Hobbies are a great way to help you focus elsewhere
peacefuldee26
I cannot stress the importance of self care enough when trying to overcome bouts of depression, or any mental illness. Do something you enjoy, spends some time on yourself and if you are able, share your feelings with someone who you trust and can support you. Mostly, take care of yourself.
AmethystUnicorn
Take it day by day, don't push yourself to do a bunch of things and get completely better all at once.
beautifulOcean32
August 2nd, 2018 4:55pm
Depression as a mental illness should not be taken lightly. If you are experiencing symptoms of depression you should reach out for support from friends or family. Also you should meet up with a therapist who is trained to comfort you and tackle your negative thoughts. Most importantly, never give up on yourself & don’t be afraid to seek help, many open arms will await you.
Hopefullyeverafter
I deal with the fall out from depression on a day-to - day basis. As you’d imagine some days are better than others. Accompanying my depression is anxiety and insomnia...which makes dealing with the disease even more challenging.
ShiningTree123
This is one of the hardest challenges I have had to face in my personal life and sometimes I have only been able to do it with help; other times, it has been a matter of waiting for time to pass... because something does shift, eventually, something does change... The hardest thing is to combat inertia; when I have been depressed I just don't feel like doing anything, I just want to lie in bed and do nothing. Living alone is dangerous for people who are prone to depression... but the paradox is that as depressives we tend to isolate ourselves because we are often mistrustful of other people or fearful that our depression will affect others negatively. Reach out. Somehow. Do something for someone else. Some small positive thing. Pick up a cigarette butt from the pavement. The key is really to somehow stop negative self-talk; the key to stopping negative self-talk is to learn compassion for others; others will then treat us with more compassion and we will start getting more positive feedback from the world and little bit by little bit things will start to improve.
Tau100
i think one should treat a depression fall out the same way you treat yourself when your sick. when your sick with the flu or have a raging headache one tends to take a step back and take things slow. you treat your body with care until you get better. as such during a depression fallout you need to take time to heal. take it easy on yourself and acknowledge that u need time to get better. treat your mind as you would treat your body during a recovery . be patient with yourself . in other words give yourself room to recover
courageousPeace95
Every time that I feel that my depression is trying to pull me down again, I stop, do breathing exercises, read messages from my friends to feel that I am loved and I see pictures from me with them. Feeling that I am not alone is very important to me. First, I try to deal with it by my own, but, if I feel like I can't cope with it by myself, I talk with my best friend. She always have some advice and warm words to say. Feeling loved and knowing that I will be okay again give me some hope in moments of breakdown.
IamblessedSue
May 3rd, 2019 4:00am
Depression fall out for me is when for no reason you feel down about your life. During these times I have found that journaling my thoughts has made a difference. When I am down I take time to listen to a set of encouraging music that I put together for myself. The music encompasses songs that lift me up and remind me I am a child of God. I have experienced many highs and lows in my life. I have recovered from an eating disorder and experienced loss. All these things can cause a depression fallout but putting together a plan to help yourself makes a difference.
handsomePower6088
Depression, leaves you with feelings of disillusionment, and sadness. some people feel that there is no point in living, they feel that the world would be a better place without them. they think no one likes them, that they are hopeless to anyone, they can't do anything, they want to hide away and do not talk to anyone. Some people are just sad, and stay in bed all day. anothers turn, to drink or drugs to get through the day. Some people find that anti depressants help them along with c.b.t or other therapies
gentleSun78
It would be wise to forgive yourself and go on. Let's go of relationships that were wasted or ruined due to depression. You can try to tell them that things you did wrong were due to your depression and hope that they understand. If they don't understand, let's go. Search for new fulfilling relationships and try to start new life from beginning. If they understand and accept you again, then you can try to heal the relationship further, showing them that you healed. Try to forgive yourself of ruined opportunities and try to begin new life from beginning, not thinking about what you ruined due to depression as it can hinder the healing.
tova5
I actually went to intensive group therapy which helped me a lot. Also having someone close to you guiding you through this helps a lot. To help with my depression fallouts I just talk to people, as much as I hate it, it feels nice to get something off of my chest. Just having someone to keep you company and go through your stuff with you helps immensely whether I want to admit it or not. I also told my therapist about why this might be happening and spoke about certain things to help with the depression. Deep breaths calm you down, counting is good and something cool my brother does is ABC ISpy where you choose a letter for the alphabet and find something in the room to match it up with. It helps get your mind off the matter.
wanjiku
depression fallout, provoked by prolonged proximity to someones depressed, is the unhappy progression from initial confusion to self blame then to demoralization to resentment and anger and finally to desire to escape the source of so much stress and unhappiness. as difficult as it may be, pay attention to your own well-being. find ways to replenish the physical and mental strength you need to keep going. create a support system with people you trust. this can be family members, friends or even a therapist of your own. take it one day at time and remember you cannot fix the person with the depression. you can only provide support and the help but ultimately upon them.
Anonymous
Just go with it at first ...but then keep telling yourself you can do better and you can get better, it's not an easy thing to do but it usually always helps me,but I also receive a lot of support from my best friend ,Wich makes it easier. You have to keep in mind what is important for you ...why it's worth fighting depression...for some people it's the family...for some people it's the partner ,maybe a pet(my dog helped me a lot).also they say exercising twice a week can help you get rid of depression so worth a try
thelovingkitty
The way to deal with depression fallout, would be discussing with your partner about how you are feeling. Then try to come up with a compromise on how to handle your problems effectively. For example if you're partner is feeling unmotivated maybe try and do something that makes them happy like getting them their favorite drink. Another approach to this,could be letting your partner vent to you or forcing yourself to vent to your partner when you are feeling "numb". There is many approaches to this topic you could also try to do some research on this topic and find your own ways you could possibly help yourself and your partner in coping with the harshness of depression. Remember its truly up to you to decide what is the right choice when you face a problem.
KindFall5330
From personal experience, the biggest thing I can preach would be self-forgiveness and self-compassion. You are going through a battle in your mind, where you are drained of energy and motivation. Recognize how much work you are doing by just staying alive and give yourself some credit. I'm not asking you to revolutionize your self esteem, but start with recognizing how difficult of a situation you are in and go from there. Even if the only thing you did all day was eat, and maybe brush your teeth, that's ok. Be kind because your body if fighting hard to keep you alive.
kindHeart1309
Empty your mind. Our depression can often lead us to overthinking about we haven't done or what we "should" be doing during these low-times. Remind yourself: it's okay. Relax, take your time, and try to calm yourself by doing what's best for you and makes you the happiest, even if it's not working at it's usual percentage at that time. Your mental illness is as serious as any physical illness: you wouldn't push yourself out of bed with a fever, would you? Treat yourself as you would on any other sick day. Take time for you. Rest up. Do what you can to make yourself feel better, and try your best not to worry too much. There are always people around to help you in your time of need.
Anonymous
Getting support plays an essential role in overcoming depression. On your own, it can be difficult to maintain a healthy perspective and sustain the effort required to beat depression. At the same time, the very nature of depression makes it difficult to reach out for help. When you’re depressed, the tendency is to withdraw and isolate so that connecting to even close family members and friends can be tough. Taking the first step is always the hardest. But going for a walk or getting up and dancing to your favorite music, for example, is something you can do right now. And it can substantially boost your mood and energy for several hours.
stemgirl25
Sometimes the best thing to do is relax and take care of yourself. This may include taking some time off work (if able to). It may involve meditation, going on walks, spending time with family or reading a book. Some people like to have some alone time which is completely fine too. I think it is important to have a balance of alone time and time spent with others. It is hard to move forward if you isolate yourself. Getting support from friends and family can be of tremendous help during difficult times. Fun activities that may ease the mind could be baking, swimming, or any kind of exercise.