Besides focusing on my breathing, what else do people do to calm themselves down?

Stacy Overton, PhD.

I am an enthusiastic life-long learner and also a professor of counseling. I have a passion for peoples stories and helping to guide and empower the human spirit.

Roadie
There are numerous things that people can do to calm themselves down. When I get wound up something that I try to do is focus on activities or thoughts that are slow. For example, weeding a patch of the garden one weed at a time. Removing all of the objects from a cupboard and putting them back in one by one in an organised fashion. Removing books from a bookshelf and putting them back in order of author one by one. Follow a gap between tiles from one end of a room to another. These all require focus and slow thoughts to achieve these sorts of things. Find something that is similar that you can do in your surroundings and go for gold.
VetiverV
I count down from 100 by 3...e.g. 100...97...94...91 etc all the way to zero. It is a simple task that I can take anywhere and apply whenever I need it to give myself a short break and focus on something else apart from the anxiety. Sometimes if I find it hard to visualise, I will say the numbers silently in my head as well as trying to visualise them.
Petalbowes
For me, personally, it always helps to be in an open space and to have someone hold my hand if possible. Also, I find that having a water bottle and taking sips helps because it alleviates some of the focus on breathing. Little nibbles helped me too. Mini eggs or Maltesers were always handy to have. Also, if you feel sick, then mint chewing gum has helped both my friend and I. If you like music then certain songs may be able to calm you down or another form of distraction: my go to ones are origami, knitting, painting.. anything to keep my hands busy and my mind distracted.
Anonymous
Try to focus on your perception. Think about 3 things you can see, then 3 things you can hear, feel, smell. When it works out well, you can look for 5 things or more.
kindOrange923
Go for a walk at least five minutes to change for a little while the scenario. It also is very good being in a park, and hear and see and feel how nature has its own process, like the wind, and water, and sun or clouds, the grass, the little bugs, the dogs and cats. If you can't be there, you can imagine it, which is equaly perfect, because it embraces you a sense of belonging, like a litlle meditation.
Anonymous
Count things that you see, feel, and hear. count things that are unchanging. Focus on the feeling and sound of air coming into your nose and into your lungs. Cup your hands over your ears to hear your breathing better.
HereToHelp865
There are many ways I find useful to calm down. You can distract yourself from what is making you feel so worked up, exercise or writing down what is causing you to feel like you need to calm down may be helpful as you feel a sense of release from what you are experiencing. My personal favourite is the new Tapping method, you can look it up on the internet and receive a demonstration of how it is carried out. It has proven to be VERY successful as it unblocks your energy pores causing you to feel distressed or whatever emotion you are feeling.
Anonymous
Deep Muscle Relaxation is a great way to relax and is especially helpful when combined with deep breathing.
Anonymous
Take a walk in nature or garden, listen to classical or slow music that is enjoyable, look at pictures of someone or something they love.
Anonymous
To calm yourself down, first of all leave the place or things which are triggering your emotional response. Breathing comes far after. If you are in middle of a hot discussion then simple being silent will help situation to cool down. Its the time to slip out of the situation and calm yourself.. Simple things like splashing your face, drinking some water are also very effective.
neverendingBeach39
I listen to music to calm down the music helps shut out the word for a little while until you can breath and calm down again
Nighttlight
Use a stress ball, talk out your feelings with someone you feel comfortable with, coloring books seem to work best with many people I see. (No joke)
calmsunshine89
I like to listen to calm music and relax with my eyes closed. Try to think logically about what is bothering you.
Anonymous
Count, yes counting can really help, such as anything around you. Clear your mind, then focus only on one thing in the room whether it be your shoe or the hairband on someones head. Jump, have an outburst because sometimes all you need to do is let out that times energy into something so you can calm down quicker to a timed out rate.
MadilynRose
There are lots of things you can do to calm down! Different things work for different people, but here are some good things you could try: listening to music you like, talking to someone (Listeners are here for you!), watching a film, taking a nap, grabbing a snack, journaling, etc. Really, anything that can distract you might help, or something else you might find soothing! Hope things work out for you, lovely!
WindMelody
I used to wash my hands with warm water, wash my face with cold water and/or, if I could, do a whole warm shower. Maybe if you feel angry or stressed you can do some physical exercise (ex: running), if you feel sad or lonely you can try to listen some music, talk with someone or do something you like (ex: sing) or watch funny videos on YouTube and Vine. If you need company you can always count on us listeners and chat with us. I hope this helped, have a nice day! :) x
Anonymous
Find 5 things you can see, find 4 things you can feel, find 3 things you can smell, find 2 things you can hear, and find 1 thing you can taste. It helps you focus and calm down.
Anonymous
Listen to music, take walks, talking to a friend or someone in your family, mindfulness/yoga or using creativity to draw or paint or write poetry. Sometimes your creativity boosts when you are stressed.
CopperSkies
Something that really works for me is 'grounding'. I find 5 things i can see, 4 things i can feel, 3 things i can hear, 2 things i can smell and 1 thing i can taste. It not only helps me bring myself back to reality but it also passes the time during an uncomfortable panic attack.
Ambrose001
well everyone is different some like listening to music, listening to the gentle sounds of a rainforest, even playing games and watching there favourite shows :) we all have our own coping mechanisms :)
LydiaDavis
Everyone is different in calming them selves down. Many take warm baths, go for a walk, or listen to music. Everyone will have to find what's right for them.
Rajnin
reading, taking a shower, meditate, gardening, work out, watch tv, petting their pet, going for a walk.
Dawn04
While focusing on breathing, just trying to mantra to yourself that everything will be okay. Sometimes just listening to music can help calm you down as well.
comfortableWings52
Something the enjoy. Like a hobby. Doing something you are passionate about often keeps you distracted and calm
AlanRY
November 21st, 2016 5:07pm
Focusing on breath is my #1 choice, while other techniques I use to build up on the sense of calm I cultivate through breathing. From my personal experience, you may try other techniques too, but I would focus on breathing as if my emotional life depended on it. In a way, it does!
calmArrow53
January 2nd, 2017 9:24am
There are many other things you can do to calm yourself down; it really depends on who you are and what works for you. For some people, chewing gum may help calm them down. Going in a quiet safe place may also calm you down. Playing with something in your hand so may also really help calm you down.
AnyaS
Many people like to use imagery and their imagination to calm down. Picturing yourself in a calm and serene environment can help you feel at ease. I like to imagine every single detail I see about my image, focusing on something else, rather then the panic can help divert your attention and calm you down!
All4you77
I have come to find that the best way for me to calm myself down is to focus each of my senses on something around me. If I am sitting in a full classroom I try to sit at the back of the room so all of the noise is in front of me and not surrounding me. If I feel myself starting to get worked up I will try to zone everything out, I focus my eyes on something in the room, I open my ears up to more sound; like the clock I listen to the steady sound. I carry around a bottle of lavender oil and smell it when I get worked up to focus in my smell sense. I carry around a light snack and eat it as needed, I then will focus on the feeling of my pants or my knuckles. I have found this to be very helpful, focusing on one thing helps drain out everything else around me.
emotionalHouse1393
5 senses, find something that you can smell, see, touch, taste, and hear. It worked for me once.
RememberYouAreNotAlone
It varies from person to person but I have my own ways of calming myself, some of these include listen to music, read a book, focus on a certain smell or feeling, recite song lyrics or a poem in your head, go through the alphabet thinking of a positive word for each letter, think of a time you were really happy and re-play that memory, create a happy scenario in your head.