How can I deal with someone that is acting like a 'diva'?

Richard Manson, BSW,CAP

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Compassionate, non-judgemental and experienced substance abuse therapist driven to helping guide clients to overcome issues relating to abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

Anonymous
Talk to them, or just ignore them. Don't make their problems yours or you'll feel bad about yourself
Tvmv29
August 3rd, 2018 1:19am
That depends. If you don't like the person or the person is mean to you just try to be nice and stay away from that person and from drama. I'm sorry I can't give better advice
Anonymous
If you think that she's not a "diva" just move on and go away. I mean, if you don't need this kind of person in your life just go away from her/him, if you need her just accept her/him.
comfortableRainbow89
Open up to them. Get close to them. Be strong and act cold too but be interesting. Be funny so that you can break that person's wall down.
Anonymous
Well, i think the best what you can do is that you don't pay attention for this person. Of course it depends on who is she/he, because if that person is your friend/relative etc., it's a bit difficult for you to avoid him/her. If that's the situation, you should talk to that person to find out why she/he acting like that and how you two can solve this situation. I'm quite sure you will figure out something. Of course the 'diva' people are annoying, but behind this behave there's something. Maybe a family problem or something else. Talk, talk, talk. That's the best way to find out!
Helpingangel2309
We'll , to be honest I'll try my best to help the person because at the end of the day we know at some cases it may be as a facade they wear to not get hurt or used again . As they say you can't really judge a book as it's cover so even if I have to face criticism or it gets to a point where the other person is just stubborn or aggnorant he/she may only know it gets irritating but I'll try my best to be patient and show and guide the person away from darkness towards the light. At the end of the day I can't make everyone happy but I'll be glad that I atleast did try. For example there are some cases where people don't really need help but message you to see how things work or how you deal with a problem but it's not your fault . No matter what really the situation is I know I did my best and even if that one word or sentence changes the other person's life for the better is way more than enough for me because I know how it feels name it from being in an abusive family to bullying , axienty to anorexia I just want to help people so they don't make mistakes like me
Anonymous
It might be helpful to realize that if someone is acting that way, they are probably doing it out of some intense form of suffering. If you can see their actions as their suffering, you might be able to deal with them in a way that they don't expect, and a way that makes it easier for you. Acting out is often a way to directly see why someone is doing something, and if you can connect it to insecurity or fear or anxiety within an individual, you can then address that insecurity or fear or anxiety with the individual directly, which often counteracts how they are acting. At the very least, it may help you to be more compassionate with how they are around you.
calmWaterfall70
Kill that person with kindness kindness always has a way of destroying your opponent you will see that person will don't know how react and it will have a vulnerable moment or you can give that person the silent treatment that can actualy work too to not waste your energy and time sometimes person who think they are a know it all won't actualy get tired of being argumentative so In my opinion is not really worth your time... those type of persons are very insecure inside and don't know how to deal with their insecuries so they like to feel themselfes special
Yafet7cups
Be patient and helpful. Take a deep breath. Answer promptly without reserve. Be kind. Follow the golden rule, which is to treat them as you would want to be treated. No judgements but complete politeness. Do not act like you know it all but just be a great listener. Listen to every emotion that they portray in their writing. No matter the person, no matter how they act, they should always be treated fairly, compassionately, and respectfully. It'll be difficult but you should never mention the person is acting like a diva, it will anger them and you will get into an argument.
Anonymous
Maybe take a step back and evaluate if you need or want the drama in your life. Maybe talk to the person and express how they are making you feel and ask them why the are acting this way. Some people can put up a front and act a certain way when they are going through difficult times. It may be their way of dealing with it. Show you are there for them, support if possible. But self care is important. Look after yourself and others. You could suggest this site to help them and we may be a able to help
MeeraJasmine
When confronted with a situation, I always like to ask the question, "Do I have to deal with this? Or would I be better off ignoring it?" I think this question might come in handy for you, my friend. There are plenty of people with attitudes that are not necessarily pleasant or that we agree with. However, we have the unique ability to choose who we associate with. Therefore, I would recommend that you simply steer clear of people whose energy and vibe you find off putting. I encourage you to find friends whose company you enjoy, and whose presence can refresh you :) Are sou forced to be in the company of this person? Simply stick to associating with them in a purely professional capacity - with respect and not much else :)
SympathyofSong
Often times, many people act a certain way because they are ignorant to how they come off in others‘ perception. Often times those with high social standing let their privileges go to their head. They have tunnel vision. They only see themselves as part of the picture. When in fact we are all equal parts of our own creation. We compete for a spotlight that is already ours. Sometimes we are stuck alone for so long we don’t realize how we are behaving. Since we avoid or attack any conflict we prohibit ourselves from growing WITH each other. First step be honest with others, i know i also need a backbone.
LivewellLovemuch
You could try to confront them on their actions and how they are bothering you- that being said respectfully of course. By definition ( in this situation I'm guessing) a diva is a "self-important person who is temperamental and difficult to please."While these sorts of people can be extremely bothersome, it is best to try and be as patient and kind with them as possible. And as stated before, the best thing to do would be to confront them about them and how their behavior is making you feel. If they are a respectful individual they will hopefully take what you said to heart and try their best to become more self aware of their behavior and their impact on others. If said person responds negatively to what you say, it may be best to leave them some time to process and self reflect on themselves. You can't change people, only that they can do themselves. However, you can do your best to be upfront with what bothers you, and hopefully motivate them to change their behavior.
Anonymous
January 3rd, 2020 11:38am
This may depend on how close you are to this person. If you are a close friend of them it may be a good idea to talk to them about their habits and understand what they are feeling. However, if they are more of an acquaintance, there may be little you can do, if it is affecting your happiness the best way may be to cut them out of your life even though it may be harsh. It really depends on how close you are to them and how much this affects your mental health. Communication is often the best course of action but if that isn't possible sometimes it is better to let it go.