Should I go to the hospital for unhealthy eating habits?

Christina Hussami, MSW, LCSW

Strengths-based, solution-focused therapist focusing on helping clients find life balance and navigating down their own path leading towards overall well-being.

mikethedj4
If you have a Doctor or Primary Care Physician (PCP) I'd suggest seeing them first before a hospital visit. However if you think you are in danger, it could be a good idea to go to the hospital. In addition it also helps talking about your concerns to a friend(s) or even family. Now there's many different types of unhealthy eating habits so my main recommendation is to take a look at your diet and see if you're getting 3 essential things adequate, "protein, healthy fat and fiber". If you're consuming more calories you may want to cut that down as well. Lastly I would recommend exercise as well. Can't say it has correlation for you, but often times food is the most abused anxiety drug and exercise is the least utilized antidepressant.
Anonymous
You should seek professional medical help for unhealthy eating habits, yes. Consider seeing a dietitian
dreamingCat7474
Yes. At the very least tell an authority figure who'll take action and help you. Eating disorders are a messy and nasty business that is addicting and very painful emotionally and physically.
allnaturalUnicorns70
There are different levels of unhealthy eating habits, and in my mind it would depend on what might happen if you don't go. Find someone who you can confide in to help you discuss the options and do what's best for your long term health.
ladycat946
If you think you are in danger, it could be a good idea to go to the hospital, or at least, talk about it with a close friend a family member. Eating well is a good way to be happy and having a healthy life in general. :)
1bluemoongirl
Yes! They'll help you with your unhealthy eating habits. You can talk to me about that if you want. Take care!
Anonymous
It depends on the eating habits of the person if not a emergency you would benefit better to local community doctor
EveEveland
Depends on what it is you consider "unhealthy". If it is affecting your energy, and you're losing/gaining weight drastically, I suggest seeing a specialist. You don't have to check in to a hospital unless it's life or death, nor do I suggest it. I was once in a crisis center, and it made me feel worse. I think you should seek out help outside of a hospital, unless the issue is extremely severe.
Anonymous
If you notice health problems such as potential getting of diabetes, then yes. If you feel sick and if your blood pressure is rising to the dangerous point, then go at the doctor and check your vital signs.
michelle2000
It depends on how unhealthy or reoccurring the habits are. If, for example, you purge after eating and have been for a while, then it would be a good idea to get yourself checked out. However, if you've just skipped a meal or two, then you should be fine without going to the hospital.
Anonymous
You should maybe go to your parents first and see if they will be able to help, but if it gets to the absolute worst then you really should go to a hospital to regain your strength.
FoodForTheSoul
Unhealthy eating habits are because of triggers such as busy schedules, redundancy of junk food in your residential environment and even because of emotional trauma. I suggest you start by cleaning up your kitchen and replace junk with healthy options. Give yourself a time frame to stick to this schedule. If you notice visible changes because of this habit, continue on with it. Hospitals may provide you with the same advice in comprehensive detail and an added bill to pay.
eternalBeauty15
Yes, even a short consultation with a doctor could help you to start eating better and feeling better both mentally and physically. Doctors will be there to support you and it's always best to seek professional help
Anakyaa
I don't think you should go to the hospital but maybe see a nutritionist that can help you manage what you are eating.
Anonymous
If you can manage them by yourself that would be great but if you are aware you need help then do what's right and immediately see a doctor it won't harm you to see a doctor
Anonymous
I think if you fart enough, your eating habits won't really affect you. How do I know this? Because I eat a lot of junk and I fart a lot.
sweetsummer75
Yes! A hospital is a great place to get help. I don't mean go to the hospital simply because you ate a candy bar but it you are highly under-eating or over-eating then it's better to get help than do nothing.
Anonymous
Firstly you need to try to cut those habbits on your own. If you can not, you can speak to a friend or to an expert. If.you still find it hard you can go to the hospital
blindMirage46
No! Sure not! If you realized that you have this problem, then you are free to solve it!Let your body understand what's right and what's not.Your body is like a house, you want the best furniture for it.Why you put ugly furniture in your house? (body)
YellowDragKane
If you feel your eating habits are becoming unhealthy you should contact your GP and get advice from them immediately. If you are becoming unwell such as fainting/throwing up blood I would suggest going to the emergency department of he hospital.
wonderfulSoul16
There is no harm in going to a hospital, this can be a serious issue and it's better to go than to sit there and wonder!
CharlieMorningstar
If your unhealthy eating habits are affecting your body in a dangerous way, absolutely. If not, absolutely see a counselor, therapist, or consider joining group therapy to try to get those habits under control.
Anonymous
It depends on what the unhealthy eating habit is. But for the most part, getting help for unhealthy eating habits is a good thing.
ffmedic
Going to a hospital is a thing you should always take into consideration, depending on how malnourished your body is. If you don't eat or can't hold anything down even liquid based I would go immediately to get fluids and try to feel better. If your local doctor has agreed with you on your eating habits, consult or get a referral to a dietitian. These people can help you to make better choices for eating. If your doctor sees that you may need a little more help than outpatient or referral dietitians can handle, they may see about getting you placed into a hospital for nutritional support and although this can be a scary or unwanted thing it can be necessary for you to start healing your body to live healthier and fulfilled. No one wants to go into a hospital. But if its needed and warranted it means it has to happen. Doctors don't just look for business by placing unnecessary patients in the hospital. Its against the law, and it can cause legal issues for them. So feel secure in going and getting help however you need to. Eat well to be well.
Lildohi
It would be best to talk to a profession about this kind of situation. For many physical habits. it is most recommended to get help from someone who is specialized in that field.
Anonymous
Depends what you mean by unhealthy eating habits. It's always best to get any help so that you don't get any worse, if you have noticed that it is affecting your health then I would defiantly recommend it
lovelyLake48
I think going to the hospital could help you understand more about your eating habits and how you could help yourself to fix them.
Anonymous
Of course you should actually you MUST. If your illness goes worst, your life will ruin. I can understand what you went through and you have some help in your life, a help from doctors not help from your brain which filled with dangerous thoughts. Remember you're not alone.
HopefulSprings
A hospital can be a great place to get help but it is not the only option out there. if you feel that you have an eating disorder, it could be a very good place to go to but if your main problem is you are having a hard time making the switch between healthy and unhealthy habits, maybe a therapist and a nutritionist can be just as helpful.
Anonymous
yes definitely. unhealthy eating is an issue that people usually underestimate. it can cause impact to a person life direct and indirectly.