What do I do when my coworkers are harassing me?

Monique Bivins, MA, LPC

I have a real passion for helping my clients to overcome life's obstacles . My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive, and interactive.

earthbaby
Speak up! I know this isn't easy, but you should definitely try to speak to somebody you can trust. Feeling uncomfortable or unsafe, in the workplace (or anywhere for that matter) is unacceptable and you have the right to ensure that this kind of behaviour is put to an end.
Anonymous
Harassing is never okay and adults should know that. The first thing to do is if you can try and move the focus into something positive when they harass, if it doesn't help then definitely report it to your supervisor. The risk of them harassing someone other than you are high so it can't be tolerated. Everybody need to feel safe in a workplace.
Anonymous
Good question, I work in a very culturally diverse company and team work is vital but showing results is even more vital- hence there is a lovely back stabbing culture. What I try to be is 3 simple things Work hard, turn up mentally and promote my team Be open and honest about myself and achievements and failings Embrace the mystery of life! Eventually if I do not get the support from my management or peers escalate to the next level and try go in with a smile and say let’s tackle this problem together and see how we can make it better in the future. Good luck! 🍀
Sunisshiningandsoareyou
So sorry to hear you're facing harassment from your co workers. It is not acceptable in any form and from anyone ! I really think that, anything wrong if not called out upon, will simply just keep on increasing and someone or other will always fall victim to it ! So, how do you feel about raising your voice against their unfair behavior towards you, do you think you should talk to them, tell them what they are doing is wrong and they should correct their behavior, maybe that could help ? Or also maybe speaking with a supervisor or someone in authority, how do you feel about telling them what's being going on with you and how it is affecting your emotional and mental health and hence your productivity in the work place ? Harassment will only increase if not called out and dealt directly with , and no body should be treated that way. The people who engage in such behavior, must be aware of the consequences of such and mindful of their actions.
CaitlinRose
Report it to your anonymous tip line if you have one. A lot of jobs have an employee assistance program who assists with things like that. If you are in a smaller company that doesn't have one, you may have to report it to your boss, but first ask your coworkers to stop the behavior on your own.
Anonymous
If you have a good relationship with your boss, consider talking to him first. If not, his superior. But your place of work should have a human resources department, and they are trained to help.
Anonymous
If your coworkers are harassing you, you should really tell your boss. Or you could tell your coworkers to stop.
Anonymous
September 22nd, 2016 2:20am
You can ignore them. They are jerks. If they are interfering with your work, or if you how you feel about their actions is interfering with your ability to focus, you should tell them "I do not feel good with you [what they do when they harass you] and that makes it hard for me to focus on my work / want to go to work." If this leads to more harassment, or if you are not comfortable with this, seek out the Human Resources person at your company and discuss the situation with them. If there is no HR person, speak with your supervisor and/or their supervisor about their behavior. Harassment is not acceptable in any environment.
CassandraLouise
This should always been communicated to a senior member of staff, manager or whoever is senior. Therapy can be used to help overcome any traumatic stress.
Anonymous
December 23rd, 2016 9:08am
Report it first of all, depending on its severity. Personally stand up for yourself by telling them to stop, that you disagree with how they are treating you, and that they are not taking their jobs seriously enough. If you have to, secretly record the behavior towards you so you have actual proof for a boss, or even police.
Anonymous
A good thing to do is report to your superiors regarding the harassment. Every work establishment should have a code of conducts or procedures to make a complaint. Check with your manager or human resources for more information.
Patientheart08
First you confront them ask them politely to stop if it's a case where you've already done that going to your HR might be the proper thing to do
Weed
You politely make it clear to them that you don't like it, Furthermore you don't participate in any such activities that can give them an idea that you can be joked with. Which includes laughing or taking part in harassment of others.
Theresalwaystomorrow
You could acknowledge the coworker and say you don't feel comfortable with that kind of language. You also could avoid them completely if possible. If you feel comfortable telling your boss that might be the first route. If you don't feel comfortable talking to them then talk to an HR person or a higher up boss.
empathiclistener20
I suppose it would depend on the harassment. I have been bullied before and I found communication was key. Talking to my co-worker in a calm, professional manner worked wonders. Many times it wasn't about me at all, but it was because they were jealous, had anger issues, or lonely.
Anonymous
I report it to HR right away. Speaking with managers never seems to work. You won't get in trouble either if you do just go straight to HR but it's never ok to be harassed anywhere even at the work place. You want to feel comfortable going into work each day, not afraid of what might happen to you.
Emotionalpez
Express your discomfort to your supervisor and explain details in a professional manner. It is important to have your personal space respected especially if it is sexual harassment or otherwise.
comfortableLove98
The best way to handle harassment in a work environment is to first ask for it to stop, if it then continues you should report the employee to a supervisor, you should never feel like you have to "deal with" harassment.
Charldavis41
you first need to make it known that you feel uncomfortable and want them to stop then you need to go to HR or your boss you express your thoughts
madisondhelp
Immediately tell a manager or boss, they know exactly what to do when this sort of situation happens
Anonymous
If it's really serious, you should speak to your superior. Harassment is unacceptable in the workplace.
Anonymous
I report it to my boss and see what he has to say. If he takes an action, well and good, If he doesnt, i m not left with much choice, I ll ignore them and continue working. Or I ll just find some other place to work.
Anonymous
Do not keep it to yourself. You could try telling them your feelings however if it's too dangerous than inform someone in the management department. If your requests don't get solved to your expectations then inform the police. We are here for you and ready to listen. :) no one should be harassed.
caringfriend83
If you are having trouble with yiur co workers I would go to a supervisor and have a meeting to try to get everything out in the open. Some people would say to first try to approach the co workers on your own. But I have found that sometimes makes it worse. Even going to a supervisor will make it worse. I try to ignore most things that happen. Or I also have a co worker that I trust and we vent to each other. That helps so we don't bring it home.
Anonymous
First of all I think you should gather evidence because even if you report them the higher may not believe you because it you vs your coworkers. But if you report them and able to show evidence no one can call you a lier.
Swish2Swish
It is a really difficult situation and my heart goes out to anyone experiencing work place harassment! Your workplace might have rules about harassment, so maybe your can study those and see the company protocol for dealing with harassment. One thing you can practice is DBT acronym DEAR MAN which are basic steps for assertiveness - sometimes all it takes is a little assertiveness and the harassment will stop.
brightFish45
First step, ask them to stop, maybe they don't know that they have over stepped their bounds. If they don't stop then it is time to put it in the hands of your supervisor, but if for some reason it continues on then you need to speak to an HR representive. But most all don't just accept or put up with it. Neither you or anyone else should ever have to deal with harassment.
AliceCares96
October 22nd, 2017 12:35am
Find out what your resources are. Try talking to your boss or manager. If Human Resources is available try reaching out to them. If possible talk to your co-workers about it.
IceStar180
I would be honest and tell them that they're making you feel uncomfortable. If the harassment continues, consider telling a senior member of staff. Nobody should make you feel like this, especially in a place where you have a job to do.
Anonymous
Be confident and pay a dam to them..we should always be polite to polite people and should always show our attitude to the morons who deserve it