What to say when quitting a job you just started?

Zeina Ghoul, LLPC

I help guide clients to create positive change in a non-judgmental and supportive atmosphere.

KurtCups711
I'd start with an apology. The company invested resources to hire you and leaving so soon will have a financial impact. Try "I'm grateful for the opportunity you've given me and I apologize for any disruption I may cause. My expectations about this position were different than my experiences. Please accept my resignation". Remember that you don't owe them anything, good luck with the job search.
Anonymous
It is okay to quit a job you just started. Maybe your expectaitions were not accomplished. You have to do what feels best for yourself and if your job makes you feel stressed or unhappy just quit it. Maybe you do not like your coworkers, that is a valid reason to quit a new job too. If people do not have things in common they will not get along. And that is okay too because we do not have to get along with every people in our life. Now that you quitted your job you might feel stressed because you need to apply for new ones. You did this before, you can do it again! But make sure you get extra information this time so you do not have to do through this cicle again.
br3athing
"Thank you tremendously for the experience I've gained here. It has helped me to progress to my next step."
Anonymous
I have realized this job is not for me. Thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to work with you, I greatly appreciate it.
Alex
There's multiple things to take into consideration when quitting a job, regardless of when you started. First, you should take into consideration your self-care and health, and see if your job supports that. Also, take into consideration your environment - is there something that's going on in your life that prevents you from working further? If you're quitting because you're overwhelmed/nervous, I would say to give it a few more days or weeks to see if those feelings ease, as it is common when starting a new job with new people and responsibilities. These feelings generally tend to go away once you become more comfortable with the job and what it requires of you!
ItsTheSheppy
Honesty is the best policy. Sit down with your supervisor and explain your feelings rationally, calmly, and clearly. It could be that the reason you're quitting is something manageable. Or, your employer may see your point of view and appreciate being notified. Very rarely does honesty backfire.
Anonymous
You can say that it is was not what you expected it to be and you want to find something more suitable with your professional plans.
Anonymous
Be honest about why you are quitting. Is the job causing too much stress? Is it out of your area of interest? Tell your manager/supervisor/superior why you are quitting, as opposed to just handing in your letter of resignation. This way, you are opening the dialogue with them, and they will have an understanding of why it is you are leaving. They may also offer you accommodations if you are finding the job too stressful but actually want to stay. Honesty is key to a strong relationship with your workplace leaders.
Anonymous
There's no need to say anything. But I guess being honest (with leaving a few details out of the conversation) might be the best for anyone - Maybe it just wasn't what you expected it to be like?
letyourheartout
If you actually don't want to continue your job, even when you have just started it. You can just quit it.. Because there are many jobs in the world, so even if you lose one job, you have the other, which will satisfy you.
coffeelover97
You be honest to why you are quitting this job. Just let them know that this isn’t the right fit and try to give them a reasonable notice. If possible, two weeks or at least a week. It would be more professional and polite thing to do. Just be honest to why you are quitting. No need to lie. It will be okay.
AngieWillListen
If it’s not your true calling, then it wasn’t meant to be. Do not dwell on situations that can be changed for the better.
Anonymous
Resign tactfully. Don’t burn any bridges. Do what you can to keep these contacts. And do it in person. This is not the time for letters or emails (though you should have a formal resignation letter ready to go after you meet to discuss with your boss). You owe it to your supervisor to explain why you are bailing—particularly after so much joint effort to get you on board. Be honest and apologetic. Don’t make weak excuses that you think will make your boss feel empathy for you. Give the real reason, or the closest to it you can get, and still remain tactful. Be genuinely sorry for the inconvenience, and pivot to showing how this is best for the company and your quitting is actually something of a selfless act. If you’re the wrong fit for this job, it’s your moral duty to speak up and say so before wasting time and resources. Give proper notice. You’ll want to do this with plenty of time for them to find someone else. You should even offer, if at all possible, to stay until they find and train your replacement. This could be great for you if you don’t have an alternative job lined up—use the time to find another one! Remember, you are inconveniencing them, and should behave accordingly. Consider that you might be asked to stay. In most cases, you’ll be given a bunch of reasons to stay. Ask yourself before you speak to your boss whether there are any conditions that, if changed, would make you actually want to stay. Have an answer prepared either way. Think harder next time. Don’t beat yourself up. But do let this be a lesson that you should really consider all angles of a new job before accepting it. Saving yourself the embarrassment and a whole lot of extra uncertainty and work.
Theresalwaystomorrow
I appreciate the opportunity working at ________. I have decided to ___________. Make sure you tell them you thank the opportunity. Negative Nancy is not good in a written letter or phone call.
Anonymous
Be honest. What made you want to quit? Did you not like the job? Did you find something better? Say it. Honesty is the best policy here. But if you're uncomfortable saying that real reason, make something up that makes sense and go with that.
mindfulears88
I am afraid this job is not what I have envisioned after all. I feel terrible for having to leave, but I am willing to do whatever I can to make the transition as painless.
Anonymous
You be open and honest and you thank the employer for the opportunity but you've realised that the role doesn't suit your needs or expectations.
Madie16
It's best to be honest with your employer and let them know why you would like to quit your job. Sometimes in doing this, your employer can better understand what is going on. For example, letting them know that the job does not suit your needs or that you are uncomfortable in the environment is a great way to practice honesty and communication skills.
Anonymous
Just be honest. It is the best path. If you don’t think the job is a good fit for you just tell them. As a manager, I’d rather someone come to me and tell me they are quitting and be honest to be about why instead of just ghosting the business. At least that way they know if it’s something they should do differently, also then they’ll know you’re fine. Just a little tip, always turn in a notice if you think there’s a slight chance you might work there again. If you don’t most businesses will mark you as not able to be rehired.
Candid0211
I think being honest should and does work. Go to your line manager or atleast the person who recommended you for this post and let them know your intentions . You want to leave this job with the best of relations and there is nothing better than honesty.
ListenerJake
It depends on your reasoning. However, I'd probably say that I don't believe that I'm complimentary to the job/environment, or that I don't believe that this is my area and it would be unenjoyable. Good luck!
foggeduppanes
Try to be tactful, and realize that you don't owe the company anything. If you quit, that is your decision. To make things easier, send an email or letter if talking face-to-face is too much. Make sure it's short, straight to the point and polite. Example: "Dear so-and-so, I'm writing this today to formally notify you that I will be resigning from my position here as [position title] at [company name]. My last day of employment will be [date] at outlined in my employment contract. I had a wonderful time here at [company] and am appreciative of all the professional guidance and support I was given. I am sorry to end my employment here prematurely. I wish you success in the future."
Anonymous
That you have given the job and try and its just not the right fit for you, however you are thankful for the opportunity.
Anonymous
It is likely better for both sides that you don't let it boil up/get worse if you've already decided it's not for you. Make sure to say "thank you for your faith in me" or "thank you for the experience".
Anonymous
The job isn't what you expected it to be. It doesn't improve or help you grow as a person and once you let go of it, you can pursue a career choice that will make you blossom spiritually and mentally.
DogsAreAwesome
I'm really thankful for this opportunity. However, after starting to work here, I've realized this is not a good fit. I don't feel I can do my best work, and this job just isn't suited for me.
Akor1
Just be honest with either your boss or human resources. Tell them why you don't want to work there anymore, there is no right or wrong answer but an actual honest answer is best in my opinion.
Favor2020
Well, thank the person for the opportunity to have worked for them and everything that you learned in your short time of working there. And just be honest in a nice way that something came available that you had been waiting on for quite some time and it was too good of a opportunity to past up. You can also tell them that you really hate to leave under such short notices but the other job wants for you to start right away. However, to prevent from putting them in a really bad bind you are welling to give them a two week notice, so that they can find someone else to replace you with.
vroomvrooom
Share the right reasons for quitting with your employer. Helps to not lie as you never know how this can come back at you in life. Dont burn the bridge no matter how bad things were in your current job. Who knows, complications might arise in your new place of work,there might be delays in receiving your offer letter,your visa and helps to leave on a positive manner while keeping the door open in case you might have to return back to your previous job. Hence, state your reasons of quitting in a manner which makes your employer appreciate your honesty, and wishes you didnt leave. Thank the boss for his/her support and for the opportunities provided.
Anonymous
Not every job is for every one. The most important thing in life is happiness. Your job is something you do just as much as being at home and you have to be happy while doing it. If you are not feeling happy with a job you just started give it a little bit of time some things just need getting used to. After you have gave your new job some time if you still aren’t feeling satisfied then speak to your direct manager. They should understand what you are feeling. Being honest and truthful is always the best route to take. You might even build a better relationship with your boss by having been honest and they can even serve as a reference for a new job for you.