Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav
Community /

IDG 7 Cups Hub Forum

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
SoulfullyAButterfly profile picture
Evolution of Values: Embracing Change
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
October 1st
...See more Values are fundamental beliefs and principles that guide our attitudes, behaviors, and decision-making. They play a crucial role in shaping our identities and influencing the way we interact with the world. It's fascinating how these values can transform throughout our lives due to a variety of factors. Life experiences often serve as catalysts for changes in our values. These experiences can be both positive and negative. For instance, personal achievements, such as landing a dream job or achieving a long-term goal, can lead to a greater emphasis on values like ambition or perseverance. On the other hand, facing adversity, loss, or hardship can prompt a reevaluation of values, placing greater importance on qualities like resilience, empathy, or compassion. Cultural exposure and diversity also contribute to the evolution of our values. Interacting with people from different backgrounds and belief systems can broaden our perspectives and lead to a deeper appreciation for values like tolerance, inclusivity, and cultural sensitivity. Moreover, as we progress through various life stages, such as adolescence, adulthood, or parenthood, our priorities and values often shift to align with our evolving responsibilities and personal growth. Think of a value that you have now that you did not used to have, or one that has become more important to you. What life experiences led to this value changing? How does this change affect you now? Please share your thoughts and experiences on how your values have evolved. Reflecting on the evolution of our values can help us embrace change while cultivating the Being (Relationship to Self) Dimension of the Inner Developmental Goals.
SoulfullyAButterfly profile picture
Cognitive Skills Activity: Future Mental Health Scenario Analysis
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
July 20th
...See more Ready to develop critical thinking, complexity awareness, perspective skills, and long-term orientation? We have an interesting activity for you! Scenario: Imagine a future where the prevalence of mental health challenges continues to rise due to various societal factors, such as increased stress, social isolation, and economic uncertainty. Instructions: 1. Research the Scenario: Gather information from credible sources on the factors contributing to the projected increase in mental health challenges. Explore different viewpoints and expert opinions on this issue. 2. Identify Key Factors: Identify the key factors and driving forces that contribute to the complexity of the scenario. Consider both short-term and long-term factors, such as the impact of technology, healthcare policies, and social support systems. 3. Create A Scenario: Develop 1 more future scenario that envisions how mental health challenges might evolve over the next 5 years. The scenario should cover a range of possibilities, from optimistic to pessimistic. 4. Analyze and Evaluate: Apply critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate each scenario. Assess the credibility of the evidence and assumptions underlying each scenario. 5. Complexity Mapping: Create a visual representation (e.g., a mind map or diagram) that illustrates the interconnectedness of factors and causes within each scenario. Highlight potential cause-and-effect relationships. 6. Perspective Consideration: During your analysis, actively seek and incorporate insights from diverse and contrasting viewpoints. Consider how different stakeholders, including individuals, healthcare providers, and policymakers, might perceive and respond to each scenario. 7. Long-Term Vision: For each scenario, explore the long-term implications and potential outcomes for mental health and society as a whole. Formulate a vision or commitment that aligns with the broader context and takes into account the extended future. 8. Compare and Reflect: Compare and contrast the different scenarios, considering their complexity, credibility, and long-term implications. Reflect on what you've learned about the future of mental health and your ability to think critically and anticipate future developments. Share your brainstorming, analysis, or reflections in the comments to this post!
Pudding1000 profile picture
Can Self-Awareness Ever Be Uncomfortable?
by Pudding1000
Last post
October 1st
...See more I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Self-awareness is usually talked about as a really positive skill, and I agree that it is. But I also think people don't talk enough about the fact that it can feel a little uncomfortable sometimes. For me, some of the biggest moments of growth have come from noticing patterns in my own behaviour that I hadn't really paid attention to before. For example, there have been times when I've overthought situations or assumed the worst when I felt uncertain. My first instinct was usually to focus on what was happening around me, but eventually I started asking myself why I was reacting that way. At first, that wasn't always easy. It's much more comfortable to believe that a difficult situation is entirely caused by external factors than to consider the role our own fears, habits, or assumptions might be playing. At the same time, I think that's where self-awareness becomes so valuable. The more I understood myself, the more I was able to respond thoughtfully instead of reacting automatically. It helped me communicate better, manage stress more effectively, and understand my own needs more clearly. So even though self-awareness can sometimes be uncomfortable, I think it's one of the most rewarding skills we can develop because it allows us to learn and grow. What do you think?🫶 Has self-awareness ever helped you discover something important about yourself? Do you think personal growth is possible without self-awareness? 🫶
SoulfullyAButterfly profile picture
Evolution of Values: Embracing Change
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
October 1st
...See more Values are fundamental beliefs and principles that guide our attitudes, behaviors, and decision-making. They play a crucial role in shaping our identities and influencing the way we interact with the world. It's fascinating how these values can transform throughout our lives due to a variety of factors. Life experiences often serve as catalysts for changes in our values. These experiences can be both positive and negative. For instance, personal achievements, such as landing a dream job or achieving a long-term goal, can lead to a greater emphasis on values like ambition or perseverance. On the other hand, facing adversity, loss, or hardship can prompt a reevaluation of values, placing greater importance on qualities like resilience, empathy, or compassion. Cultural exposure and diversity also contribute to the evolution of our values. Interacting with people from different backgrounds and belief systems can broaden our perspectives and lead to a deeper appreciation for values like tolerance, inclusivity, and cultural sensitivity. Moreover, as we progress through various life stages, such as adolescence, adulthood, or parenthood, our priorities and values often shift to align with our evolving responsibilities and personal growth. Think of a value that you have now that you did not used to have, or one that has become more important to you. What life experiences led to this value changing? How does this change affect you now? Please share your thoughts and experiences on how your values have evolved. Reflecting on the evolution of our values can help us embrace change while cultivating the Being (Relationship to Self) Dimension of the Inner Developmental Goals.
Kristynsmama profile picture
Authenticity and integrity
by Kristynsmama
Last post
October 1st
...See more Integrity and authenticity is one skill that sticks out to me the most.  I have spent most of my adult life trying to be a woman of integrity and authenticity.  I do this by trying to live by my core values.  In order to live according to my values, I have to know what they are.  When I was a kid, I was not honest in any sense if the word.  And I didn’t know what it meant to be authentic or to have integrity.  I did everything I could to avoid getting into trouble- even if that meant lying to cover my tracks.  As an adult, I have spent most of my time, trying to be honest and authentic and they became two of my biggest core values.   Today authenticity and integrity are easy for me, but I really had to work at it. In the growth path, it says, “Being authentic with ourselves allows us to understand our deepest desires, fears, and motivations. It enables self-acceptance, which is a crucial foundation for personal growth and well-being.”  I never saw authenticity as a foundation for personal growth.  And I never realized that by being authentic, I was creating a strong foundation for personal growth! In my opinion, while it states that authenticity creates a strong foundation, many of the other skills within the 5 domains can also create a strong foundation.  What skills is your foundation made of and how do they apply to your life? Some of you are probably wondering how my life changed as I began to be more authentic and how I got there.  There are a few things that were crucial as I grew and changed and developed integrity and authenticity as one of my core values. Here is what I did:  * First, I had to have the willingness and the desire to change.   * Second, I needed a strong support system to hold me accountable when I made mistakes.  (It is inevitable that we will make mistakes along the way).   * Third, I found resources to teach me how to talk to myself differently.  Instead of dreading the day, I woke up and reminded myself to be grateful I was alive and well.  Each morning I set an intention for the day.  All of my intentions started with “Today I am willing to practice.”  For months, my intention every morning was, “Today I am willing to practice being authentic in all of my encounters.”  And at the end of the day I praised myself for the things that I was successful at.  “Today, I acknowledge myself for being honest with my best friend and asking for what I need.”  I did this every single day and eventually my behaviors changed and I became the woman of authenticity and integrity that I had always longed to be. ------------------------- Authenticity and integrity are part of the values taught in the Inner Development Goals Course, you can learn more about more such values in the course here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/academy/AcademyPrograms_2311/InnerDevelopmentGoalsCourse_318284/]
yoursmileisasradientastheSun profile picture
Openness and Learning Mindset
by yoursmileisasradientastheSun
Last post
September 28th
...See more For a long time, I lived by a personal motto: Follow anything and everything your heart wishes for, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. I always chose to listen to my heart, even in the smallest or silliest moments, because I never wanted to live with the regret of unsaid words or undone actions. Staying true to myself brought wonderful people into my life that I dearly treasure. But just today, I found out how wrong I have in most of the cases. Listening to what my heart says has always been one-sided for most, I never tried putting myself in other shoes. The things that I thought would bring them peace was actually hurting them and the ones that I thought was annoying weren't. I am complex myself and the people in my life are no less. We were kind to each other, but wouldn't dare to talk about our fears, or expectations because of what ifs. It wasn't very healthy.  Navigating this brought me a few powerful lessons: * Assumptions aren't understanding: No matter how well you know someone, assuming what they want or feel isn't the same as truly listening to them. * Empathy vs. Kindness: Kindness is a vital part of empathy, but true empathy requires stepping outside our own perspective to see through their eyes. * Direct Communication: If you care about someone, putting your feelings forward and communicating openly is always better than deciding for them what they can or cannot hear. It takes courage to resolve these missteps, and I’m choosing to pause, give myself the time and grace to work on this new layer of growth. Discussion Questions: 1. Have you ever had an experience that made you pause and re-examine a core belief or decision you held? 2. What was the very first step or thought you took after that realization? I’d love to read your thoughts and reflections. Take all the time you need to share~🍀🎐
Diinnaa profile picture
Kindness is the top strength
by Diinnaa
Last post
September 3rd
...See more While I’m learning the Inner Development Goals course , I explored the character strengths in the growth path . It says , “we all possess 24 character strengths in different degrees and hence, we all have a unique amalgam of strengths to explore “ I visited the free VIA Character Strength Survey Site , and the result was that the #1 strength is Kindness , By linking this strength with the platform here , I want to listen to others because I feel that , as human beings , we simply need to listen to one another .  There are so many problems that can be solved simply by making a person feel that someone is listening to them even if that person can’t vent everything completely , but merely says nothing for a while . Because sometimes we don’t want a solution or a comment on the situation , we just want to feel that someone is listening and making us feel that we matter . So , I’d like to make a difference in other people’s lives simply by being there , even if I can’t help in the way they need . I fully understand how exhausting it is when a person feels that no one understands them or notices their presence , which makes you feel lonely even when there are lots of people around you , yet you still feel as though you’re alone in this world . So , I will try as much as I can to spread kindness so that no one feels this way or has to go through it alone .  What is your top strength ?  How do you use it here on the platform ? 
Fars79 profile picture
Self-Awareness: Do we really notice what’s happening inside us? 🌱
by Fars79
Last post
September 2nd
...See more I’ve been thinking about the IDG skill Self-Awareness lately, and how much of it is actually about noticing what’s happening inside us before we automatically react. Sometimes I feel like we can know ourselves in a general sense like “I get stressed easily,” “I tend to overthink,” “I’m sensitive”, but that’s different from actually noticing what we’re feeling in a specific moment and understanding where that reaction is coming from. I also think self-awareness can be uncomfortable. Sometimes we notice patterns in ourselves that we didn’t realize were there. But maybe recognizing those patterns is what gives us the opportunity to respond differently instead of just repeating them. 💭 What is something about yourself that you only became aware of after going through a particular experience? 💭 When you notice yourself having a strong emotional reaction, what helps you pause and understand what’s actually going on underneath it? I’d love to hear how other people experience self-awareness because I think it can look really different for everyone. 🤍
Bhrigs profile picture
Do We Ever Fully Know Ourselves?
by Bhrigs
Last post
August 13th
...See more Self-awareness sounds simple because we spend every day with ourselves. We know what we like, what annoys us, what we’re good at and what we struggle with. But I’ve started wondering how much of ourselves we actually understand. Sometimes it takes another person pointing something out before we recognise a pattern in our own behaviour. We might think we handle criticism well until someone tells us we become defensive. We might see ourselves as independent without noticing how often we rely on reassurance from others. Our first instinct might even be to disagree because their version of us doesn’t match the version we have in our own head. I think this is where self-awareness becomes uncomfortable but also valuable. It isn’t just knowing your strengths and weaknesses. It’s being willing to question your own understanding of yourself. At the same time, I don’t think self-awareness means accepting every opinion someone has about you. Other people can misunderstand us too. Maybe the real skill is being able to hear something without immediately accepting or rejecting it, reflect on it honestly, and then decide whether there is something we can learn from it. Do you think we can ever see ourselves completely objectively, or will there always be parts of ourselves that other people can see more clearly than we can?
goldenFlamingo9717 profile picture
Presence
by goldenFlamingo9717
Last post
August 1st
...See more Hello everyone,  I think one of the hardest things to do today is to actually be present because we are always doing many things at once. We eat while we watch youtube, talk to someone while checking our phones, and even study while thinking about something entirely different. We may be physically present, but our minds seem to be somewhere else. I think its both interesting and sad how we do not notice how much we actually miss. Have you ever gone somewhere fun but spent most of the time trying to take pictures instead of actually enjoying the moment? Have you ever had a conversation with someone but realized later that you did not fully listen or even remember what they said because you were not paying attention without realizing it? But I think being present does not mean that we have to completely remove technology from our lives. I think being present means giving our full attention to what is happening RIGHT NOW. By being present IN THE MOMENT, we can make a simple conversation much more meaningful and a normal day more memorable. I think presence is something we have to practice everyday in our lives. It is so easy to get caught up thinking about the past and worrying about the future but we should all learn to slow down and pay attention to the little things around us to help us appreciate the small things we usually overlook. What is a small thing in your daily life that you started appreciating after becoming more present?
AsherTree profile picture
Finding a purpose in a decaying environment
by AsherTree
Last post
August 1st
...See more I talk to many people and alot of times they don't know what their doing on the planet and why do anything.. The oceans are dirty, we suffer from intolerable pain, people are finding themselves alone with billions of people walking around.  They hear that big corporations are polluting the environment  and meanwhile we are polluting the environment ourselves by accumulating trash and putting out toxins just to go to work. Politicians are letting down everybody because they realize they can't help everybody so many are left out of the goody bag..  With so many problems how do you find meaning and purpose? The fact is life is what you try to make it. No one has all the answers you seek... To find purpose start dreaming of better more meaningful things like the "American Dream." As long as your on the earth you might as well make the best of it. Religion can help. Distractions help. Recreation helps. Finding love helps. How do you find purpose when the cards are stacked against you? How do you find motivation when you are struggling to find your purpose,  your destiny,  a reason just to get up in the morning? 
sarakind profile picture
The Anchor Within: Nurturing Our Inner Compass
by sarakind
Last post
July 1st
...See more Hi everyone! Today I want to focus on the "Being" dimension of the IDG framework, which is all about our relationship with ourselves. In a fast-paced world that constantly demands our attention, developing our inner life is crucial for staying grounded. This dimension invites us to cultivate deep self-awareness, manage our emotional landscape, and maintain a sense of presence in everything we do. When we connect with our core values, we build an internal compass that helps us navigate external stress and uncertainty without losing our identity. "Being" teaches us the importance of authenticity and mental well-being, reminding us that we cannot effectively care for others or drive change if we neglect our own foundation. It is about learning to sit with our thoughts, understanding our triggers, and showing up with sincerity. * What daily practices or habits help you stay connected to your inner self and maintain your peace during stressful times? * How has developing greater self-awareness changed the way you react to unexpected challenges or difficult conversations in your life?
Architak2007 profile picture
Self-Awareness and Personal Growth
by Architak2007
Last post
June 16th
...See more Self-Awareness is a skill from among Inner Development Goals skills that I find very interesting. This particular skill forms the basis of personal development because it makes us appreciate our personality, values, and behaviors. People are living their lives reacting to various stimuli without taking a moment to think about why they react or feel certain ways towards some things. Self-awareness allows people to take some time to consider their emotions, strengths, weaknesses, and goals and be able to make decisions that would be good for them. It is important to have a proper balance in self-awareness, meaning that it should encompass not only your strengths but also areas that you need to develop further. This way, you will be more objective when setting some personal goals. Self-awareness gives an opportunity to understand oneself and work on oneself. The ability to regulate one's emotions is another significant outcome of self-awareness. Once you are aware of your emotions, it becomes harder for you to react impulsively. You learn to respond to certain situations in a rational way, avoiding conflicts. I strongly feel that consistent self-reflection or being mindful and aware of oneself leads to increased confidence and resilience. It gives one the ability to consciously act on things in accordance with who we truly are. What are some ways by which you can enhance your own self-awareness? In what ways have you benefited from self-knowledge of your strengths/weaknesses?
Simplelife432 profile picture
Openness, Authenticity, and learning
by Simplelife432
Last post
June 15th
...See more    To begin with Openness, Authenticity, and learning are like stepping stones to make our dreams come true. It is easy to say "be honest" but everyone needs trust to go through the strenuous process. First an individual must be willing and open to seeing different emotions; this is were Authenticity comes in. Regardless of how situation, or our emotion and thoughts unfold its vital to remember our core values. Lastly, learning comes in through reflection.     Personally, it was hard, scary and stressful because when we strive to be authentic its leaving behind our old identity which tips off the ego. However, I took the step. In the process I had to lose habits, thoughts, respecting my body, moreover losing all the unwanted/old patterns. It was not a negative or a positive thing it was neutral.     Thank you for reading, kindly be open for conversation.  
Community Leaders
Community Mentor Leader