Community /
IDG 7 Cups Hub Forum
Quick links
About Us
Get Started
Create a New Thread
Gif
Photo
Link
Evolution of Values: Embracing Change
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
October 1st
October 1st
...See more
Values are fundamental beliefs and principles that guide our attitudes, behaviors, and decision-making. They play a crucial role in shaping our identities and influencing the way we interact with the world. It's fascinating how these values can transform throughout our lives due to a variety of factors.
Life experiences often serve as catalysts for changes in our values. These experiences can be both positive and negative. For instance, personal achievements, such as landing a dream job or achieving a long-term goal, can lead to a greater emphasis on values like ambition or perseverance. On the other hand, facing adversity, loss, or hardship can prompt a reevaluation of values, placing greater importance on qualities like resilience, empathy, or compassion.
Cultural exposure and diversity also contribute to the evolution of our values. Interacting with people from different backgrounds and belief systems can broaden our perspectives and lead to a deeper appreciation for values like tolerance, inclusivity, and cultural sensitivity.
Moreover, as we progress through various life stages, such as adolescence, adulthood, or parenthood, our priorities and values often shift to align with our evolving responsibilities and personal growth.
Think of a value that you have now that you did not used to have, or one that has become more important to you. What life experiences led to this value changing? How does this change affect you now?
Please share your thoughts and experiences on how your values have evolved.
Reflecting on the evolution of our values can help us embrace change while cultivating the Being (Relationship to Self) Dimension of the Inner Developmental Goals.
Cognitive Skills Activity: Future Mental Health Scenario Analysis
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
July 20th
July 20th
...See more
Ready to develop critical thinking, complexity awareness, perspective skills, and long-term orientation? We have an interesting activity for you!
Scenario: Imagine a future where the prevalence of mental health challenges continues to rise due to various societal factors, such as increased stress, social isolation, and economic uncertainty.
Instructions:
1. Research the Scenario: Gather information from credible sources on the factors contributing to the projected increase in mental health challenges. Explore different viewpoints and expert opinions on this issue.
2. Identify Key Factors: Identify the key factors and driving forces that contribute to the complexity of the scenario. Consider both short-term and long-term factors, such as the impact of technology, healthcare policies, and social support systems.
3. Create A Scenario: Develop 1 more future scenario that envisions how mental health challenges might evolve over the next 5 years. The scenario should cover a range of possibilities, from optimistic to pessimistic.
4. Analyze and Evaluate: Apply critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate each scenario. Assess the credibility of the evidence and assumptions underlying each scenario.
5. Complexity Mapping: Create a visual representation (e.g., a mind map or diagram) that illustrates the interconnectedness of factors and causes within each scenario. Highlight potential cause-and-effect relationships.
6. Perspective Consideration: During your analysis, actively seek and incorporate insights from diverse and contrasting viewpoints. Consider how different stakeholders, including individuals, healthcare providers, and policymakers, might perceive and respond to each scenario.
7. Long-Term Vision: For each scenario, explore the long-term implications and potential outcomes for mental health and society as a whole. Formulate a vision or commitment that aligns with the broader context and takes into account the extended future.
8. Compare and Reflect: Compare and contrast the different scenarios, considering their complexity, credibility, and long-term implications. Reflect on what you've learned about the future of mental health and your ability to think critically and anticipate future developments.
Share your brainstorming, analysis, or reflections in the comments to this post!
IDG Dimension 3: Relating - Caring for Others and the World
by yoursmileisasradientastheSun
Last post
2 days ago
2 days ago
...See more
Caring for others and the World stand out to me the most in the Inner Development Path. The reason that this community was built and the fact that all of us are here is due to this factor.
More importantly, empathy is a skill that can be learned, rather than an inborn characteristic. I still look back and question myself, how did I learn to be kind? I was somewhat a troublesome kid, but now seeing others in pain hurts me just as much. And this nature, brought me the people that are very dear to me, also strengthened my bond with my family. Helped me learn other skills like acceptance. I want to spend my life helping people, that's why I planned to study Psychology.
One important thing that I would like to highlight is - You cannot pour from an empty cup - this is something I learned very recently. I would go down the way for others, but wouldn’t take time for my own peace, which led to burnout and emotional detachment. But now I remind myself to give some grace, every once and then, this not only brought me peace but enhanced my empathetic skill too.
Discussion Questions:
*
Which skill did you learn first—caring for yourself or caring for others?
*
Which one would you suggest others focus on learning first?
Looking forward to reading your thoughts😊💛🍀
Empathy and Compassion
by Architak2007
Last post
2 days ago
2 days ago
...See more
There are numerous skills that are included into the framework of Inner Development Goals. I would like to note that such skills as empathy and compassion are especially valuable for me since they allow people to make connections, gain new perspectives, and maintain their relations. In today's world where diversity rules, empathy is needed to be able to consider other people's experience and point of view instead of evaluating any situation based on one's preconceptions.
While empathy is about gaining an understanding of other people's feelings, compassion is a desire to help those who need support. I believe that developing empathy and compassion is crucial to building more inclusive societies and enhancing cooperation between people since they will be more willing to collaborate with one another when feeling understood.
However, empathy and compassion do not necessarily have to involve other people only; it is necessary to develop these traits in relation to oneself too. Being compassionate to oneself is a good way to take better care of oneself in various difficult situations.
To me, both empathy and compassion are very strong qualities since they motivate us to take care of others and at the same time not forget to take care of ourselves.
Do you remember any instance when empathy has helped you solve an issue or improve your relationship?
How do you exercise self-compassion in hard times?
Caring Begins with Connection
by LopaConnect
Last post
September 13th
September 13th
...See more
Sometimes, caring for others begins when you start healing yourself. Lopa Connect actually came from that space within me, a space that wanted to turn pain into purpose. I had gone through phases of feeling alone and misunderstood, but I also knew how much even one kind word can mean when someone is struggling. That’s when I thought, maybe I can create something that brings a bit of warmth and hope to others, too.
Through Lopa Connect, I’ve realised that caring is not always about doing big things. It’s about listening, understanding, and being present for someone, without judging or fixing them. Every person carries a story, and sometimes they just need a space to be heard. I try to make that space feel genuine and calm, because that’s what I once needed too.
The more I connect with others, the more I learn about empathy, patience, and how deeply we all crave understanding. Caring for others, I’ve found, is also a way of caring for myself.
So, I would also like to hear from you all:
*
What moments have helped you see the importance of caring for others?
*
How can we balance caring deeply for others without losing touch with our own emotional wellbeing?
Can Independence and Connectedness Coexist?
by Pudding1000
Last post
August 13th
August 13th
...See more
I've always considered myself a pretty independent person. I like having my own hobbies, my own goals, and the freedom to do things on my own terms.
But at the same time, some of the happiest moments in my life have come from feeling genuinely connected to other people. Good conversations, shared experiences, inside jokes, feeling understood by someone... those things matter a lot to me too.
For the longest time, I thought these two things were opposites. Like, the more connected you become to people, the more independence you have to give up. Or, if you're very independent, you might not be able to form deep connections.
Lately, though, I've been wondering if that's actually true.
Maybe a healthy connection isn't about losing your independence at all. Maybe it's about having relationships where both people can be themselves while still feeling close and supported.
I'm still figuring out what that balance looks like, but it's made me think a lot about the difference between connection, dependence, and individuality.
I'd love to hear what you guys think about this.
Do you see yourself as more independent or more connected?
Have you ever struggled to balance the two?
What does healthy connectedness look like to you?
Appreciation
by goldenFlamingo9717
Last post
August 12th
August 12th
...See more
I used to think appreciation just meant saying thank you, but now I know it's much more than that. Appreciation is noticing the things we normally take for granted. This could be a friend checking in on us or having the opportunity to learn something new. I realized that we need to LOOK for things to appreciate to find it. There are so many things we take for granted but if we truly stop for a moment and take a look at our lives, there are so many things we need to appreciate. Whens the last time you appreciated having a bathroom? Appreciation stems from intention not signals. If you feel obliged to show your appreciation, you are not truly appreciative.
Whats something you didn't appreciate until you lost it?
Empathy and compassion aren’t dispensable
by Diinnaa
Last post
July 1st
July 1st
...See more
The Course says “ Skill Description : The ability to relate to others , oneself , and nature with kindness , empathy , and compassion while addressing suffering “
During the short time I’ve been here on the platform , I’ve spoken to people , and many of them , at the end of the sessions, said things like “ All I wanted was to feel that there was someone who would just listen and not judge me for this , unlike others who , when they find out , distance themselves from me “
And I felt that there were people who just wanted empathy and compassion , This made me feel that I wanted to make others feel that I would listen to them without judgment and not make them feel like no one will listen to them because they should be judged by others .
I resolved to be empathetic , compassionate , and kind to them , and not to make them feel rejected or ashamed . No one deserves to feel that way , I want to ensure , as far as possible , that people don’t think that there is no empathy and compassion in the world , and that they know there are still people who are able to understand what others are going through .
- that they are worthy of respect
- that they are human beings
- that it is natural for all of us to make mistakes
- that they have needs
- that they are not weird or abnormal
- that they are not alone
I would like to look after them , protect their privacy and humanity , and not judge others , for who am I to judge them ! Do I not make mistakes too ? Do I not have the same flaws and needs as they do ? We are one , and there is no need to live together on the same planet with the distance between us as vast as that between the sky and the ground . It is possible for us to stand shoulder to shoulder and feel one another , otherwise , we stand together but no one cares about who is beside them , And that is a deadly and terrifying feeling to be very close to someone but at the same time you don’t have an idea of what they are going through and struggling with alone , I don’t want anyone to feel that .
What is something that member or someone told you after you used empathy and compassion with them ?
How did it affect you ?
Beyond Words: Deepening Connection Through True Compassion
by sarakind
Last post
June 15th
June 15th
...See more
Hello everyone! I want to share some thoughts on the "Relating" dimension from the IDG framework, with a specific focus on compassion and deep connection. In our fast-paced daily lives, it is very easy to look at social interactions as just transactions or things to cross off a list. However, this dimension reminds us that true human connection requires us to slow down, practice deep empathy, and show genuine compassion for the struggles of those around us. It is about learning to appreciate others, honoring diversity, and creating safe, non-judgmental spaces where people feel truly seen and comfortable enough to share their vulnerabilities. This helps us understand that everyone carries weights we cannot see. When we focus on relating deeply, we move away from superficial conversations and start building meaningful, supportive communities that can withstand difficult times. It teaches us that we are all interconnected, and that caring for others' well-being is ultimately a way of enriching our own lives.
* What helps you step out of your own world and actively show compassion to someone who might be going through a hidden struggle?
* How can we create more spaces in our daily communities where people feel completely safe to express their vulnerability without fear of judgment?
Relating to Others and Ourselves
by HeartyAlly
Last post
June 15th
June 15th
...See more
Reflecting on the dimension ‘Relating’
Relating in the IDG framework includes caring for others and the world, appreciation, connectedness, humility, empathy and compassion and forgiveness.
I find that relating, ties in with relationship, which also touches on the relationship we have with ourselves. Often times, the relationship we have with ourselves, reflects in how we relate to those around us. I find that personally, when I am more patient, compassionate and kind to myself, I find it a lot easier, to be that way with others, it comes more naturally. The more I understand about myself and my own complexities, the more I have room to understand and hold space for other people’s complexities. I am thinking of two quotes here, one quote is ‘People can only meet you as deeply as they have met themselves’, and often times I find this to be true. The work we do in our inner world, reflects how much we can relate to or understand another person.
The other quote is by Carl Jung, when he says that ‘Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darkness of other people’. I find this to also be true, when we can face our own inner turmoil with honesty, the parts we do not like, like when we feel jealous, or envious, or when we feel angry or bitter, when we can explore it with curiosity, and remove shame, and bring in compassion and understanding, we can see the hidden feelings underneath and create room for them to be. Often times jealousy may reflect what we want for ourselves but feel unable to get, or anger and bitterness can show us our limits and where we are over-giving or overextending. It is all information about ourselves and when we can face that, we can have a lot more understanding and grace for other people struggling, we can see the root and not shame them but instead encourage reflection, compassion and understanding oneself. We can have greater empathy.
How does the way you relate to yourself influence how you show up in your relationships with others? What helps you understand other people better?
🌍 When We Truly Relate: The Quiet Power of Caring Beyond Ourselves
by Smilingsoul11
Last post
June 2nd
June 2nd
...See more
There was a time I believed being good with people simply meant being polite and helpful when asked. But over time, I’ve realized that real relating goes much deeper—it is about how we internally choose to see others every single day. Appreciation, connectedness, humility, empathy, and compassion are not abstract values; they are daily micro-actions that shape the emotional climate around us. World is really a Beautiful place when we connect and care for others too.
I remember a moment when a classmate was going through a difficult phase but never spoke about it openly. Most people, including me at first, assumed she just wanted space. But one day, I decided to simply acknowledge her presence warmly and tell her I appreciated her contributions in class. That small act opened a door. She later shared how isolated she had been feeling. I realized then that appreciation is not just praise—it is recognition of someone’s existence and effort in a world where people often feel unseen.
Connectedness teaches us that we are not isolated beings. Our emotions, actions, and even silence affect others. Humility reminds us that we don’t always have the full picture of someone’s life. And empathy and compassion allow us to respond with understanding rather than judgment.
When we combine these qualities, relationships become less transactional and more human.
When was the last time someone’s small act of appreciation changed your mood or mindset? Do you think empathy is something we are born with or something we consciously develop over time? and How Empathy can be developed?
Practicing True Empathy: Connecting Without Judging
by sarakind
Last post
May 18th
May 18th
...See more
Hi everyone! I’ve been reflecting on the "Relating" dimension from the IDG framework, specifically on Empathy, Compassion, and Humility. When we are supporting others, it’s often tempting to jump straight into problem-solving mode. However, true empathy means listening not just to words, but to the emotions behind them, while maintaining humility, and recognizing that we don't always need to have all the answers. By practicing active listening and showing genuine appreciation for someone's courage to share, we create a much stronger sense of connectedness and create a truly safe space.
* What helps you stay in a space of pure empathy without feeling the need to "fix" the problem immediately?
* How do you practice active listening to make the other person feel truly heard and connected?
Appreciation 🌷💛
by Ava47
Last post
April 27th
April 27th
...See more
Lately, I’ve been thinking more about appreciation, especially when bigger problems came up and it felt like there might not be a way out. I don’t usually like asking for help, but I noticed that when things started to get overwhelming, I was actually supported more than I expected.
At the time, I was very focused on stress and everything that could go wrong. But when I slowed down a bit, I started noticing small things I would normally ignore. Not something big or perfect, just simple moments like someone checking in on me, a moment where things felt a bit calmer, or realising I got through the day even when it felt difficult.
I’ve noticed that in difficult times, the more things and people I feel appreciation for, the more good I start to see. It doesn’t remove the problems, but it makes them feel a bit less overwhelming. It also showed me what actually matters to me and made my values clearer.
Even with everything going on, I still noticed small things, but also bigger ones—like the important people in my life who are doing well and make my life richer 💛. I think it actually made things feel a bit more manageable.
In IDG course , appreciation is about relating to others and the world with gratitude and noticing what is good. I think this experience helped me understand that more in a real way. It’s not about ignoring problems, but about not letting them be the only thing I see.
I also realised that where I put my attention really matters. When I focus only on stress, everything feels worse. But when I notice small positives, even briefly, it changes how I feel and helps me cope better .
I’d really like to hear how others relate to this😊
🌿When things feel difficult, what helps you notice or feel appreciation?🌿
🌿Has appreciation ever changed how you saw a situation or what felt important to you?🌿
Empathy & Compassion – Just Being There
by SimplyCompassionate
Last post
March 23rd
March 23rd
...See more
Empathy is feeling with someone, understanding and sharing their emotions. Compassion is feeling for someone and being moved to act to help relieve their suffering; empathy is the understanding, but compassion adds the motivation to alleviate pain, preventing the burnout that can come with pure empathy. I’ve noticed that empathy is not about having the right words. It’s more about how we listen and how present we are with someone. Many times, when a person shares something difficult, they don’t really want advice. They just want to feel understood.
I’ve caught myself wanting to fix things quickly, offer solutions, give reassurance, or change the topic so it feels lighter. But over time, I’ve learnt that simply staying with the feeling can be far more comforting. Empathy is about allowing space for emotions, even when they feel uncomfortable.
Empathy doesn’t mean taking on someone else’s pain or ignoring our own limits. It just means showing up with care, respect, and honesty. Sometimes, that alone can make a person feel less alone.
Compassion shows up in small ways. It might be listening completely without judging them, saying “that sounds really hard,” or just letting silence exist. I also feel compassion is something we often forget to give ourselves. We expect ourselves to be strong all the time and feel guilty when we struggle. Being kind to ourselves is just as important as being kind to others.
What makes you feel truly heard when you share something personal?
How easy or difficult is it for you to show compassion to others or to yourself?