Community /
IDG 7 Cups Hub Forum
Quick links
About Us
Get Started
Talk to an expert therapist
I am finding Smita to be very inciteful and reasonable. She explains things to...
Reviewed Sep 23, 2026
Talk to Smita Now
Create a New Thread
Gif
Photo
Link
Evolution of Values: Embracing Change
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
October 1st
October 1st
...See more
Values are fundamental beliefs and principles that guide our attitudes, behaviors, and decision-making. They play a crucial role in shaping our identities and influencing the way we interact with the world. It's fascinating how these values can transform throughout our lives due to a variety of factors.
Life experiences often serve as catalysts for changes in our values. These experiences can be both positive and negative. For instance, personal achievements, such as landing a dream job or achieving a long-term goal, can lead to a greater emphasis on values like ambition or perseverance. On the other hand, facing adversity, loss, or hardship can prompt a reevaluation of values, placing greater importance on qualities like resilience, empathy, or compassion.
Cultural exposure and diversity also contribute to the evolution of our values. Interacting with people from different backgrounds and belief systems can broaden our perspectives and lead to a deeper appreciation for values like tolerance, inclusivity, and cultural sensitivity.
Moreover, as we progress through various life stages, such as adolescence, adulthood, or parenthood, our priorities and values often shift to align with our evolving responsibilities and personal growth.
Think of a value that you have now that you did not used to have, or one that has become more important to you. What life experiences led to this value changing? How does this change affect you now?
Please share your thoughts and experiences on how your values have evolved.
Reflecting on the evolution of our values can help us embrace change while cultivating the Being (Relationship to Self) Dimension of the Inner Developmental Goals.
Cognitive Skills Activity: Future Mental Health Scenario Analysis
by SoulfullyAButterfly
Last post
July 20th
July 20th
...See more
Ready to develop critical thinking, complexity awareness, perspective skills, and long-term orientation? We have an interesting activity for you!
Scenario: Imagine a future where the prevalence of mental health challenges continues to rise due to various societal factors, such as increased stress, social isolation, and economic uncertainty.
Instructions:
1. Research the Scenario: Gather information from credible sources on the factors contributing to the projected increase in mental health challenges. Explore different viewpoints and expert opinions on this issue.
2. Identify Key Factors: Identify the key factors and driving forces that contribute to the complexity of the scenario. Consider both short-term and long-term factors, such as the impact of technology, healthcare policies, and social support systems.
3. Create A Scenario: Develop 1 more future scenario that envisions how mental health challenges might evolve over the next 5 years. The scenario should cover a range of possibilities, from optimistic to pessimistic.
4. Analyze and Evaluate: Apply critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate each scenario. Assess the credibility of the evidence and assumptions underlying each scenario.
5. Complexity Mapping: Create a visual representation (e.g., a mind map or diagram) that illustrates the interconnectedness of factors and causes within each scenario. Highlight potential cause-and-effect relationships.
6. Perspective Consideration: During your analysis, actively seek and incorporate insights from diverse and contrasting viewpoints. Consider how different stakeholders, including individuals, healthcare providers, and policymakers, might perceive and respond to each scenario.
7. Long-Term Vision: For each scenario, explore the long-term implications and potential outcomes for mental health and society as a whole. Formulate a vision or commitment that aligns with the broader context and takes into account the extended future.
8. Compare and Reflect: Compare and contrast the different scenarios, considering their complexity, credibility, and long-term implications. Reflect on what you've learned about the future of mental health and your ability to think critically and anticipate future developments.
Share your brainstorming, analysis, or reflections in the comments to this post!
Courage and Its Power
by GoldenRuleJG
Last post
1 day ago
1 day ago
...See more
When I think of a symbol of courage I think of a lion.
A lion is fierce and powerful!
A lion is willing to protect their cubs and at the same time provide a safe space with warmth.
Courage can be about making the decisions that are not the most popular ones. It is about staying true to your values. Your mind say "I'm afraid this might not be the right move."
1) What animal or symbol to you reflects courage and why?
2) What other qualities for you do exist with courage, reflecting on how you applied this to your life?
3) Can you think of time you were courageous? What were the sensations before you experienced in your mind before being courageous and after being courageous? Did you feel better or did you regret it?
I feel that courage takes risks and spontaneity in action! For example, you notice someone is not standing up for themselves when someone is speaking negatively about them. Because you know them well you might support them because you see them as a friend.
Stepping in too often can be something a rescuer does, which drama triangle theory [https://clarenormancoachingassociates.com/drama-triangle-winners-triangle/] explains.
Small Steps, Real Change
by LopaConnect
Last post
2 days ago
2 days ago
...See more
Change, I’ve learned, doesn’t always happen in big leaps, sometimes it’s quiet and personal, one heart at a time. When I started Lopa Connect, it wasn’t about changing the world all at once. It was simply about creating a space where people could talk, reflect, and feel supported. But over time, I’ve seen how even small actions, a message, a check-in, or a shared story, can start ripples of change.
This domain, Acting : Enabling Change, reminds me that action grows out of care and purpose. I’m not just connecting for the sake of activity; I’m connecting to help others find a bit of light, and in doing so, I find my own strength too.
Sometimes, change also means standing up for positivity, setting examples, and showing that kindness can be powerful. Through Lopa Connect, I’m learning that enabling change doesn’t mean having all the answers; it means being willing to start, even if it’s small.
I would like to have a few suggestions from you all:
*
What’s one small action you’ve taken (or could take) that makes a positive difference for others?
*
How do you find the courage to keep creating change, even when it feels slow or unnoticed?
perseverance ; if a butterfly cannot find anymore pollen in a flower, should it stay or move on?
by emilystar
Last post
2 days ago
2 days ago
...See more
perseverance is definitely one of my favorite concepts under the acting dimension of the inner development goals! in the IDG framework, perseverance refers to "the capacity to maintain engagement and commitment despite delays in the achievement of desired goals." however, i feel like perseverance gets portrayed in a way in which it seems inherently good, which i don't entirely agree with.
while i absolutely understand that persevering through a struggle does teach many valuable lessons, there are instances when perseverance does not always mean that one should push forward. struggling to learn a challenging concept, training oneself to learn a certain skillset, forming connections with others, and pursuing a distant objective certainly require perseverance–patience in particular! there are moments when it is incredibly difficult to witness progress each day.
however, i feel like the problem lies within this attachment towards believing that giving up means admitting defeat. the world does not stand still for anyone. there are going to be days when you must adapt and move along since circumstances dictate that your original goal was not meant to be anymore. this is where i struggle to define perseverance.
it makes me realize how perseverance might not function alone and needs the help of other IDG skills. knowing ourselves is important because sometimes self-awareness lets us understand what drives us to persevere with our actions. critical thinking allows us to understand if we use the appropriate strategy in our endeavors and helps evaluate them objectively. an internal guidance system allows us to assess if the thing we work towards matches our moral and ethical views. perseverance could mean continuing; however, it also implies taking different ways towards achieving one’s goal.
sometimes there lies this big distinction between "i haven't made it yet" and "this isn't working anymore," which i believe should become a significant step in growing up personally <3
discussion questions !!
* how would you know whether it is healthy or not to persevere?
* does quitting one’s goal sometimes imply perseverance of something bigger?
perseverance skills are part of the values taught in the inner development goals course, you can learn more about more such values in the course here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/academy/AcademyPrograms_2311/InnerDevelopmentGoalsCourse_318284/].
the butterfly searches for flowers with pollen, but when a flower has none, it knows when to move on rather than continuing to stay. like the butterfly, we may need to recognize when something no longer has what we need and have the perseverance to keep searching rather than remain where we cannot grow.
~ thank you!
Difference between growth and waiting
by Bhrigs
Last post
September 9th
September 9th
...See more
Sometimes we tell ourselves we’re growing, when really we’re just waiting.
Waiting for the right person.
Waiting to feel confident.
Waiting until we’re “ready.”
I’ve been wondering whether inner development is less about waiting for life to change and more about becoming someone who can make decisions without needing certainty first. Maybe growth isn’t found in having all the answers, but in learning to trust ourselves enough to keep moving anyway.
The future is always uncertain, but our ability to respond to it doesn’t have to be. Sometimes that’s the biggest goal of all.
Resilience
by inesllorens
Last post
September 3rd
September 3rd
...See more
Something that stuck with me in the guide is resilience or the ability to move forward and keep going even when we are in pain, stressed, disappointed, upset, ... I think resilience sometimes gets misunderstood, with people looking at it as never struggling or failing while instead, failure and struggle are central to resilience, especially facing them and growing from them. It is also not a weakness but a strength to ask for help and be able to receive support from others when needed, letting social support guide you thorugh difficult times.
In the most difficult times of my life is indeed when I have learnt the most. It can feel almost impossible to overcome certain things but once you realize you can overcome those difficult things, you feel like you can almost overcome anything. And it is important to sit with these difficult times and learn from them and observe how you act trying to learn how to become better at confronting hard things.
To become more resilient I always encourage positive talk, always reassuring oneself that we can achieve the impossible instead of having limiting beliefs telling ourselves we are not capable of something.
The questions I would like to suggest for discussion are 1. What does resilience particularly mean to you? 2. what is something that has made you more resilient?
Learning to act before feeling ready
by HeartyAlly
Last post
August 12th
August 12th
...See more
Hi there everyone! Another dimension I have been thinking about is ‘Acting’, which is about turning our awareness into real steps. It is about taking initiative and following through even when feeling unsure. It is taking action before waiting to be ready. This is something I resonate with a lot as a recent shift in my life. For so long I waited to be ready until I realised that I need to take action to see anything happen. It can take a lot of courage to act, to decide to show up even with so much uncertainty. I find that everyday this courage looks different, but the growth in action is still present because the mindset shift changes your approach to life.
I am proud that I have been able to show up on 7 cups, not knowing but trying anyway. I am proud that I am setting small boundaries, even when it feels like new territory.
What actions have you taken recently that you feel proud of?
What has helped you overcome the fear of acting before feeling ready?
Enabling Change: The Courage to Step Out of Our Comfort Zones
by sarakind
Last post
June 15th
June 15th
...See more
Hi everyone! Making a change in our lives or systems is a big challenge. Through the IDG framework's "Acting" dimension, I've realized that driving change requires the courage to challenge our routines, and the optimism to believe that positive outcomes are possible. Breaking a habit is uncomfortable, and because change doesn't happen overnight, it requires a lot of perseverance to keep going when progress feels slow. It often starts with internal shifts, like changing our own thoughts and perspectives, before we can achieve external results.
* What internal changes or mindset shifts have helped you find the courage to step out of your comfort zone?
* How do you maintain optimism and perseverance when a change you are trying to make is taking longer than expected?
Staying Optimistic in Challenging Times
by Karroo6785
Last post
May 31st
May 31st
...See more
Optimism can be defined as the ability to maintain and convey a sense of hope, a positive attitude, and confidence in the potential for meaningful change. This can be difficult to achieve during challenging times whether in your personal life or in the world as a whole. However, maintaining hope and a positive mindset can make a significant difference in how we cope with stress and adversity. This does not mean ignoring problems or pretending everything is perfect. Instead, it means believing that difficult situations are temporary and that we have the ability to overcome them, learn from them, and ultimately grow from the experience.
One useful tool for staying optimistic is positive self-talk. The way we speak to ourselves has a powerful impact on our emotions and confidence. During hard times, it is easy to fall into negative thinking patterns and become overly harsh on ourselves. Replacing thoughts like “I can’t handle this” with “I will get through this one step at a time” can help build resilience and reduce feelings of hopelessness. Although it might not stick at first, repeating this type of counter-thinking can eventually turn into a positive habit! Positive self-talk encourages self-compassion and reminds us that setbacks do not define our worth or future.
Gratitude Journaling is another powerful practice that can help shift our perspective during difficult moments. Taking time to write out what we appreciate, even small things, can help us focus on what is still good in our lives. Journaling these thoughts allows us to look back and reflect on what we are thankful for and reminds us that not everything in life is dragging us down. Gratitude does not erase or diminish hardships, but it can create balance and remind us that there is still hope, joy, and meaning even during our worst moments.
What are some things that you are grateful for in your life and how has recognizing them helped you cope when life gets hard?
Creativity as a Place of Personal Freedom
by Kindheart4u2
Last post
May 29th
May 29th
...See more
Hi community! For my second post, I wanted to reflect on Creativity. I’ve always felt that my art is my freedom—a place where I finally define the world on my own terms. Whether I’m drafting a Southern Gothic script or writing poetry, creativity is the tool I use to process my experiences and turn them into something meaningful.
I believe we all have a unique "signature strength" in how we see the world. For me, creativity isn't just about making things; it’s about perspective. It’s how I find balance between my responsibilities, like my animal rescue work and caring for my community, and my own personal growth. It’s a way to honor the parts of ourselves that often get lost in the busyness of life. When I write, I’m not just telling a story; I’m exercising my right to be heard.
Reflection Question for you:
Do you have a creative outlet (writing, art, music, or even problem-solving) that makes you feel free? How does expressing yourself change how you handle your daily stress?
Perseverance
by gentlemelon85
Last post
May 19th
May 19th
...See more
Perseverance is defined as the ability in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success. The ability to keep going on without an end in sight sometimes. Persevering is always related to "pushing through" something.
At one point or another in our lives we have had to push through some experience we don't like, whether it lasts seconds or minutes or hours or years sometimes. These experiences for most of us end up remaining as a miserable phase.
We think "How on earth did I get past that?" or "I'm glad that's over". A lot of people grit their teeth and get things over with, they somehow get through it but disliking every second of it. Persevering is seen as an uphill battle.
But the thing about perseverance is, it forces you to look away from the end and enjoy the journey. Or rather it forces you to look at the journey and make peace with it. Many of us run around with the end being the ultimate goal. Subconsciously we put the end in a higher position and take any journey as a start to end process.
Perseverance forces us to experience everything in between and prolongs the end. But the thing is, it provides room for questioning ourselves. In the space between start to end, it allows growth. We can ask questions like "Why does this trigger me?" "What could I have done better?" "What about this place don't I like and why?".
These questions teach us to find meaning in the journey rather than always running to an end. While the end is important as the culmination of all efforts and an ending point, the journey is equally important as that's where we spend most of our time.
Rather than always looking forward, we can look around too. Finding joy or sometimes growth in the journey and learning to accept it or get out of it is the true lesson of perseverance.
I'm curious to know
1) When was one point in your life where you were stuck in a situation and you changed your view of it or flipped it for yourself?
2) How do you frame or reframe perseverance?
Making a change
by yellowflowersinthedark
Last post
May 9th
May 9th
...See more
Making a change in a system is a big challenge. It is something I failed to do too many times. With the IDG Course, I had gained valuable learnings, that it is important to have the courage to speak out, the creativity to solve complex problems, the optimism that goals will one day be achieved, and the perseverance to keep going even when things are tough.
Making a change means going out of the comfort zone and willing to experience some discomfort. Routine is especially hard to break, especially since it is what our system is already used to. So change is not an abrupt process and it does happen overnight. It takes a significant amount of effort and persistence. Motivation plays a big role as well.
What I realized is that change is more effective if it is a collaborative effort. Internally, it could mean not just changing one aspect but all aspects that will harmonize well-being. Thoughts, actions, feelings. We have to ensure all three are on board for the process, as they are interconnected. Change happens gradually that it might not even be noticeable unless significant differences have been made. One thing for sure, change is not easy. It is a challenge but it doesn't mean it's unachievable.
What internal changes will be helpful in making external changes possible?
Perseverance, to me at least
by Mimefish
Last post
May 4th
May 4th
...See more
Hey there. I went through the IDG framework, and since I have to make a few posts about it, I might as well make them about the things that were really notable to me
For me, perseverance was actually one of the most stand out skills in the IDG framework. It was the one that I felt actually fit my life. Many years ago now, my health just suddenly got poor enough that it stopped almost everything for a very long time. I had to slow down, accept what was happening, and figure out how to live around it instead of ignoring it and hoping for things to go back to how they were before. Sucks, but that was something I had to learn.
Right now, I see perseverance show up in small and practical ways. I push when I need to (sometimes too much), and I rest when I get the chance. If something doesn't work out one day, I try it again a different time. I think that's perseverance. Also, I get told that I'm someone people can talk to and open up to. I honestly think that comes from having to deal with difficult things in my own life and learning to stay in the moment when things get hard. Pretty much, when something matters, I try, even when it feels slow or difficult. That is what perseverance looks like to me. Nothing dramatic or too out there, just trying.
Kind of curious if this is how others see perseverance? Mine obviously can sometimes be bad.