How can I get what I need from my doctor?

Lara Gregorio, LCSW

Therapist

I believe that depression can feel all-consuming. I have a real passion for helping my clients to reclaim their voices and lives from depressive thoughts.

scotty4947
Talk to your doctor about all the problems you're having. If they feel as though you need it, they will prescribe it to you. If they don't think you need it, they won't give it to you. And, if that happens, you need to respect their decision.
SilentSerenityy
You have to tell them what you need. Do your research, see what's available and ask for it. They can't read you mind.
frenchiek
You can get what you need from your doctor by telling them what you think you need. They can use what you're saying and work off of that to get the best treatment possible for you.
Creativethinker2701
The best choice is to simply be honest with them. Your doctor is supposed to help you in any way possible. If it's what's best for you, they'll be just as willing as you to try anything.
dandelionwish
Come in with specific questions for your doctor. Write down a list of things you want to discuss and go over it with your doctor.
wonderousWaterfall34
The best way to get what you need is to advocate for yourself let them know what is bothering you and what you think that you need.
Anonymous
Why do you say this and what are you looking to get from your doctor? Please clarify so I understand better.
CastleQueen8
Telling your doctor what is going on is the first step. If they don't seem to be helping, however, there's other options. You could try talking to a different doctor for a different set of views. You could also do extended research and bring what you found up to your doctor. It shows that you know what you're talking about and some doctors will be more willing to take you seriously.
samanthajesp1
Be honest with what you are experiencing and don't be afraid to ask questions, voice concerns, or give suggestions.
Anonymous
Explain to them what it is that is bothering you and they should be able to help you out with your needs
FrenchThea
You can get what you need by explaining it to him in details ; whats and whys and he'll help you determine doses, and maybe he'll tell you to see specialists.
paperCrane15
Usually doctor knows best what is better for you :) Lying and cheating only leads you away from the progress
Anonymous
Be completely honest so he could determine what you need first...hell take it from there. Just be positive
ffmedic
This can be overwhelming for most people to get out what they need to say and try to sound "normal" while doing so. I have found over my years of having troubles, I do best when I trust the provider. The person I see now is someone I have seen for years and I trust her with everything inside me. If I am having anxieties or scared about what to say, she knows I will send her an email on the portal for the hospital system I belong to, or if I don't have that access I find its best to write out what is going on, or what is happening to you and how you feel out on paper. Calmly, and then write what your expectations really are for the issues. If its weight loss, be realistic... You're not going to lose a major amount of weight in a short amount of time with no effort. Its just not going to happen. When my experience has come in on this, I have shame and am scared about talking to people about my trauma as a child and the recent things that have happened to me. And with that comes the Depresison, anxiety, PTSD, and other issues. I get it out in writing. She has much better luck with me being able to express myself that way, than just waiting for me to speak cause sometimes that won't happen. Good luck in your endeavors to the Doctor. It isn't so bad. You can do it! I support you!
Sunflower20
Talk to your doctor and make sure you also ask questions because that way you will be able to get exactly what you need.
heartfulHeart81
Be completely open and honest with your doctor about what you are experiencing. Leave nothing out. The more they know about what you are dealing with, the easier it will be to help.
Maat7
Be open and honest about your feelings and your needs. Don't leave the doctor's office in doubt, ask as many questions as you need to be clear on how to better follow your treatment and what to gain from it.
Anonymous
You have lived with your body your whole life, if what a doctor says to you does not seem right then get a second opinion.
HereToHelpYou742
By telling what you need and if he goes off topic bring him back to why you came. or find a new doctor
HalcyonPhoenix
Let your doctor know what you expect from them. Just like physical ailments, mental issues require as much information as you can give for the best results. So make sure you communicate in the best possible way your wants, needs and lacks.
Anonymous
Be clear about what you want. Also gently demand help - be assertive about what you want, so they acknowledge you seriously need what you want. If talking is difficult, you can write your thoughts on paper. This way you don't forget to say anything, too.
Espirit203
By answering the doctors questions truthfully and understanding the confidentiality agreement between you and the doctor , the doctor will not share any of your information
Game0ver
Always be open and honest with your doctor about your lifestyle, medications, and any new issues. Keep them in the loop if you are seeing another doctor, such as a therapist or psychiatrist. Honesty is key to ensuring your doctor understands what you're going through and can more accurately judge the best way to proceed.
RachelHenrys31
Try writing everything down before you attend the appointment. Sometimes seeing the doctor can be quite an anxious situation so it can be better to have a set of the questions you want to ask beforehand.
Anonymous
Schedule an appointment. Talk to your doctor about whatever you are having trouble with, or whatever you need. If it is an option, they will tell you. If it isn't you'll just have to find some other way I guess...
Anonymous
You talk to you doctor and tell him everything that is going on.. what you say will depend on the help they will give you
strawberrySoul15
November 2nd, 2016 9:56am
Make an appointment with a doctor to see what is concerning for you and/or what you need help with. Your doctor is like your best friend. He/she is there to listen everything that has been going on with you. Don't be nervous, they're there to help people. That's just what they do.
royalApple76
it can be a real struggle. what ive started doing is writing out all my symptoms and when they happen, so if i feel like the doctors not believing my, i have something to back up what im saying. the main thing is, if your doctor is not giving you what you need, try to stand up for yourself. you have rights, and you deserve to be treated with respect.
GingerCatGirl
If you have a lot to say or you are unsure that you will remember things, it's ok to write things down and take notes in with you. If you have some ideas of what you think you need, it's ok to tell this to the doctor. The more you can tell them, the better they can help you. If you find you have a doctor who you don't think fully understands you or doesn't give a good reason for going against what you want, them there is always the option of asking for a second opinion. From my own experiences, I've found that being open and honest and giving your doctor as much information as possible is a good way to go. If you have an idea of what treatment would benefit you, most doctors will welcome that input, although they should weigh up the pros and cons with you.
Anonymous
Be assertive! Do your research, write down/print off your research, and make sure they know you've done your research. If all else fails, it's time find another doctor. I felt really bad for years with one doctor, I went to a different doctor, and he diagnosed me with celiac disease within a matter of weeks! You have to know what you need, and you have to make sure the doctor knows what you need as well.