Why can't I force myself to go to class?

JaNaè Taylor, PhD, LPC

I work to provide culturally tailored services to my clients through support, advocacy, and reflection.

thirstycrow
Some tips. Know why are you doing whatever you want to do. This is extremely important. You should have one motivation. It could be just the happiness of getting good marks getting a job and eventually buying the things you always wanted. Remind yourself. This will help in you not going back to your old self. Have a diary or a note that reminds you of what you are doing. Upto you. What worked for me was writing a journal as soon as i woke up. If it seems scary. Just relax and try to make it interesting in someway. I used to look up videos of a topic i found boring or tough or called a friend who knew that to make him clarify it. Gamify it and make sure you have a reward in mind. Mine included one hour of playing skyrim :D. Hope this helps. Trust me it may sound intimidating but it can be fun. When you know most of what is on a test. You can feel like a god. Also is getting more marks than everyone :p
Anonymous
Everyone has days where they have little motivation to complete daily tasks. However, it is okay to take steps to ensure you are safe in that situation
ShannonLstories1
Maybe there is something in about the class you don't like it makes you nervous when your mind and body don't want to do something it will do everything in it power to no do that one thing.
AprylFools
Perhaps you're feeling axious about it. Try taking some deep breaths and writing down why you don't want to go to class. Then look over your answers and see what the problem is? That way, you can narrow it down and address it accordingly!
liveloveandplay
May 3rd, 2018 12:27am
There maybe any number of factors impacting your ability to go to class: 1) To what degree is course content and the way it's being taught tapping into your learning strengths and interests 2) What time of day are the classes being taught with regard to your natural sleep cycle and are they in alignment with your peak energy state and 3) Are you consistently eating, exercising and getting the amount of rest you need each day in order to function at the highest level? These are just a few things to consider beyond other personal factors that may be happening in your life that could be affecting your ability to attend class.
Anonymous
When you feel anxious about going to class it's hard to participate in them. Maybe in school is something that's causing you stress?
BrandonCares1074
Sometimes you may fear of grades, mean peers, or boredom. But it is important to remember that education is important and will help you later in life.
RagaHere
Human brain is a fantastic computer and tells us what and what not to do every single time. This decision is taken based on the past experiences. When we love something, brain entices us to do that by releasing hormones which makes us feel good, which is not the case when we do not like something. It all comes down to loving the things that we do. Going to class can be made as good experience by finding out all the positive things about it which you love. And looking forward to it.
musicalEnergy94
anxiety can cause a person to not go to class, you may not feel like you can pass the class or it's too early in the morning to go. there are so many distractions now in this world so it hard to force yourself to go to the class. success comes when you put in the effort and push yourself to make it to that class. if you envision yourself at the end of the class with an A or B it may help you be successful
slimreaperr
Good question. By using the word "force," you're implying that you WANT to go to school, but there's something that's blocking you. Any ideas what that block might be, and where it might have come from?
SuperSandi
Judging from my experience when I was in school, I didn't want to do anything that I wasn't interested in... And when my parents weren't around 2 make sure I'm doing what I need to do, it really wasn't any motivation or consequences. If I didn't want to go, then I didn't go.
dzhfjhelper
Because you won't be really happy and live successfully. It was like being forced to bully and if you force you won't be able to concentrate same as bullying. I experienced forcing myself to try to make a random question and everything was all messed up to ask.
Allears247
You could, you are just choosing not to. You probably have a lack of motivation thats holding you back. Think of your goals as a reminder to keep pushing.
Anonymous
There may be something within the classroom environment that is deterring you. Perhaps a pupil or a group or pupils? The teacher? The work? Or maybe worries about your own performance?
Anonymous
You need to feel motivated to learn and grow into your own individual and persevere through the stress and hard times to reach a goal.
comfortableRiver97
The use of the word forcing is a strong word. Sometimes going to school can cause nervousness or even anxiety if there are underlying issues such as peer issues or school work issues etcetera.
Anonymous
Your having a hard time going to class, what do you think may be giving you a hard time getting the motivation to go to class?
Anonymous
It could be a mix of laziness and depression. If you feel like you would rather sleep all day or just stay in bed, than go to class then that's a sign. Some things that are helpful to get you to go to class are, making a friend in your classes so you can hold each other accountable, introduce yourself to your teacher/professor so they can put your name to a face and take notice when you aren't showing up, talk to your school counselor about why you aren't showing up for classes and set up weekly meetings so they can help you stay on track. Those are just a few things that might motivate you to go to class.
MarianaBessa
Forcing ourselves to do certain things rarely work. We only do things we like or that will bring us some benefit in the long run. So instead of forcing yourself to go to class you could try to change your perspective about it. Question yourself why you want to force yourself, why it is good for you, why it will help you accomplish the future you aspire to achieve. Think about the things you like about school (even if it doesn't seem like there are many) and focus on them. Try to target the things you don't like about school and identify the ones you can change. Sometimes small changes do a lot for us. Good luck!
BlackPumpkin
Sometimes, we get so emotionally, physically, and mentally overwhelmed that we hit what is known as 'burnout'. This is a psychological state of complete exhaustion. Now, you may not have hit the burnout stage, however exhaustion levels may be a reason why you can't seem to go to class. Other factors that could contribute to your attendance are motivation and drive. If you aren't motivated to learn a certain subject, you likely won't feel self pressure to show up to class. My advice would be to attempt to motivate yourself to attend classes. For example, pick something you love (i/e running, grabbing some ice cream, etc) and reward yourself with this behavior after you successfully attend class a few times. This will cause reward pathways in your brain to activate, and over time you could 'trick your brain' into believing the class is fun (there's your motivation!) and worth going to.
Anonymous
I don't know your full situation so there could be endless possibilities. However, the most likely could be you don't feel safe in the classroom. Maybe you dislike your teacher, or don't feel you trust anyone in the class (like friends) It could also be that class stresses you out. For example, an overload of work or you have anxiety. You possibly feel afraid you'll say something wrong or mess up. I'm no professional, so don't take my advice to word but it could possibly be one of the things mentioned.
Maryska
Well sometimes with our mental health struggles, we find it difficult to be motivated about much of anything. I often find with depression that I can’t force myself to do much of anything besides the absolute basics of functioning through life. This is more than worth discussing with a professional if you can access one. There is no need for you to feel bad or guilty for not being capable of going to class from time to time. Just make sure that you’re completing what you need to get your credits and continue your scholastic life without too much impact.
WinglessYetFlying
Hello there.. As a student myself, I understand exactly how this question appeared.. Now perhaps you're facing hardships at school, like bullying, not doing well enough, or being alone.. Or generally not feeling motivated to go at all.. And thats understandable, really. But remember that nothing goes right when you force yourself, because you'll only screw up more. Think of ways you can motivate yourself to just go through with it. If you are facing problems, reach out further to someone. Be friends with a person you'd be willing to see everyday. Or motivate yourself by imagining the beautiful future you'll have if you just go through the years. Its hard, yes, but not impossible, and we all understand you ^^
Anonymous
It can often be extremely challenging to will yourself to go to class, or even get out of bed. Perhaps you feel stress or pressure from a friend, family member or colleague. Maybe you feel scared of socializing or embarrassing yourself. Honestly, it could be any number of things - have you got any unfinished deadlines? Are you able to get a full night's sleep? Don't let yourself think you are a letdown, it is completely natural to feel scared of going to class. Please talk to someone, whether it is one of us here on the site, a friend or someone in your family. Your health and happiness is so important x
TheHappyZone
Nothing is rarely ever as simple as to just "force" yourself to do it. Most things need purpose and motivation. This way it feels good before, during, and after you've done it. Have you set a path for your future? Is there clarity about who you are and want to be? Do you know how you want to proceed? These are all questions one can ask themselves in finding out if they have the motivation needed in accomplishing things. I recommend searching on websites, such as YouTube, for "study motivation" or "motivational stories". Maybe that could be a start. Another way would be to seek out a school guidance counselor that can set you on the right path of success, motivation, and purpose. Good luck!
Pianorose
There are all kinds of reasons why you might be unable to force yourself to go to class; the best way to determine the cause is to do an honest assessment of your physical and mental health. Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating healthfully? Are you drinking enough water? Are you taking time for yourself to unwind from stress? Have you been exercising regularly in a way you enjoy? Are you feeling unmotivated for classes alone or for other areas of your life as well? Are you avoiding class out of fear or frustration with the material or professor? Are you working yourself too hard between classes, work and other activities? Take a few minutes for some self reflection and assessment, then once you’ve pinpointed the cause take time for some self care in whatever area you’re struggling with, and if it’s too much to handle on your own consult a health professional for extra help.
beautifulsoul247
I am studying French simply because it pleases me when nothing else does. I have been doing so since 2016. Many I started with already finished the course. I am halfway through. I only go once a week because daily classes are too overwhelming. I dread leaving the house, rubbing shoulders with people and having to talk when I'm not in the mood. It frustrates me that I have to push myself every Saturday. But I remind myself that I love it more than I hate the discomfort. It works sometimes. I have missed classes for months at a time. But I've managed since the year began.
chocoholic2401
Reading your question , it seems as though you do not like attending classes. I didn't like it too. if your just in middle school, its necessary for you to study each and every subject which might seem quite disheartening and frustrating for you. but trust me knowledge will be handy in the future. middle school education is primary and basic. after that you can choose your subjects and learn what you like. remember that if you want to be successful in life. school is the first step. good luck for your future. try to enjoy studying .
Anonymous
Sometimes it is hard to find motivation to do things that you aren't excited for. Perhaps if you started setting goals for yourself such as go to class, go for a walk, sleep early, etc. then going to class may seem more bearable! Along with this, when you attend class you will feel better because the anxiety of missing class won't be there, along with an improvement in your grades! Perhaps even making some new friends in your classes could be helpful. Set SMART goals for yourself, and do not be hard on yourself if you happen to slip up some days.
Bpdbex
Going to class is never going to be something fun you do. School in reality is a chore, but much like brushing your teeth; you gotta do it. Many classes are boring and tedious, however if you can find motivation for yourself to go to classes it might improve your attendance rate. Finding friends in classes is a huge motivation to go to class because you will miss out on fun opportunities if you are not there. Also if you just go to class now, you won’t have to worry about things like summer school and detention. Going to class is worth it because you get the education you need to set yourself up for a successful future.