Why can't I force myself to go to class?

JaNaè Taylor, PhD, LPC

I work to provide culturally tailored services to my clients through support, advocacy, and reflection.

Maradudin14
December 2nd, 2020 3:25pm
Well, surprisingly, it may not be about a lack of willpower. Think about why you don't want to go? Do you not like the teacher? Does the material confuse you? Do you just not enjoy the class? Once you have established a reason for why you are not going, it will be far easier to find a solution. If you are in high school, you may be able to talk to your parents about this class, and they could switch you out of the class, or perhaps change teachers. If you're at university, you may be able to drop the class if you find that it's in your best interests.
StargirlTina
Well, here's what I've experienced..If you're not in the mood for class or feel unwell, it's better to stay home cos otherwise it gets difficult to concentrate:( Sometimes we need breaks to get back rejuvenated:) I have often gone to school on days when I dont feel like, and it hasnt been the best experience..On the contrary, I have found on many occasions that when I take a "well deserved break" as I call it, I feel so much better getting back to studies or classes! So here's the conclusion: Never force yourself to study or work when u dont feel like..Instead, just rest for a while or relax by shifting your focus to other activities and then get back when your energy bar is full!Lots of love and strength to you :)🧡
Anonymous
Forcing yourself to do things isn't always the best way to get yourself to do something. It can help to think about it a couple of different ways. One is the positives: What good things do I get out of going to class? What is going to be easier for me if I go to class? Another is to figure out ways to make it easier: What are the steps I need to go through to go to class (get dressed, get on the subway if it's physical or turn on your computer if it's online, etc)? What would make it easier for me to feel okay with going to class? Another is to figure out what is hard about it, so you can address it: What makes me feel bad about going to class? Is it that I don't have time to make the assignments? Is it that I don't feel safe? Is it that I feel lonely in it? Is it that I feel sick? It's not going to be easy, but it can be more manageable if you try to think about a task in its easiest possible terms and in ways to make it easier for you.
KatieAListener
Sometimes we are experiencing a day where even walking to the bathroom feels too strenuous. We may not even understand why sometimes. It is not necessarily being 'lazy,' but rather your body's energy feeling as though it has been completed expended by being drained in other ways, such as ones mental health for example. If someone is feeling down, for example, they may feel completely fatigued and unmotivated, which is not something that can quite be forced. This is why we as human beings must engage in self-care activities so that we can recharge and work on our healing.