Why do I feel that I am rejected or neglected by people?

Sandra Butler, AOD, DV counselor

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Experienced in understanding how emotions and feelings affect our lifes in every aspect of interacting, not just with others, but how we process those emotions. I can help you

Happiecmon
Just see you in a mirror so you could reflect, and then move on. You couldn't make everyone happy with you.
nightchanges
It is because you do not have enough confidence, try to interect with people as much as you can. try to improve your knowledge about think to make an impression on peopke
kindHeart32
because you feel like you to be accepted to fit into society .. in reality .. society needs to fit you in ..
Anonymous
This could mean you are distancing yourself from others or feel like they are doing this to you. You should consider talking to those who are close to you and try to figure out a solution that works best for you.
divinewillpower86
it's kind of negative thinking and outlook. actually one or more would tend to behave but based on some personal opinions which may or may not be right. however, based on that and after going through such experiences mind thinks every is only after me. and that is the source of root cause. just change thinking and be a Stranger. and see the difference.
zainishere
Act as a lady, think as a man! I also such experience since elementary school. But, luckily, I "dropped" it there, and became extroverted since then. However, we are not kids anymore. I suppose that people around you do not actively ignore you. You are all adults, it is childish to ignore someone or exclude some. I wonder if the situation is like this: They were thinking of something else, absorbed in their own world while you were talking to them. They didn't give you any feed back because they didn't hear you. Then you thought, oh, I was being ignored again!
Anonymous
many people feel this way. It may be because you feel like you don't fit in or you are different to everyone else. Just accept everything and talk to them again
Anonymous
Firstly, most of the time that is not 100% the case. I don't know if it's like that with you or not. Sometimes there are groups of people that reject or negletct specific person. I'm not trying to say that you are making things up or anything, i just want to help. There are periods in your life that you'll feel like you're rejected and/or neglected, it's about what you do when you do. You can choose what to do about that and how will you act. If there are people that reject you, maybe you should confront them, if you believe that you will be safe. of not, you can bring someone with you. If you're shy or don't feel like doing that, try to see why they reject you. Maybe it's just not the group of people that you are meant to be friends with. Maybe you're not the same, and don't do things that people in a certain group do together. You should find your own company and people you can be friends with. Someone you'll feel comfortable with. Maybe you just haven't met then yet. Maybe it's just that these people don't see your qualities and are not open to trying to understand you. There are a lot of people like that. But eventually you will find someone ou share interests with. Try to be patient, and a bit more open to meeting new people (or you already are). It can be just that people are very close minded, and rude. So please stay the way that you are and don't change yourself for other people. You will find people that won't reject you, and people who you won't ever neglect. Maybe you're searching at the wrong place. I don't want to be boring, but you can find help here, and talk to anyone even more, and try to solve your problems, and get to solution. Good luck :)
ItsAlyssa
Just be yourself around people and stay true to yourself and talk to people and if your shy start by making small conversations by saying "Hi"
Anonymous
Some of the things I say come across as mean and angry but I just want to be needed and appreciated
Anonymous
I would find someone I'm comfortable with and slowly start to introduce myself to more people. Of course this may not be a comfortable way for you to get involved with people and that's okay because i'm sure you'll find some way to engage with others. You may have social anxiety though and you may want to discuss that with someone so that you can receive the help you need. I hope all goes well for you.
Anonymous
Sometimes the people around us are not fully aware of our needs or of what we are experiencing which makes communication difficult. In social places, confidence is what makes you stand out, as well as standing up for yourself when people are in the wrong, but only safely.
Anonymous
A lot of times, it's in your head. Just close your eyes and think about all the people who try to contact you without a reply. They love and care about you.
Anonymous
One main trend I've always noticed with myself is that I will look back and remember almost all of my embarrassing or cringey moments. Yet when I try to look back and remember the embarrassing/cringey moments of others, I can only recall 3 or 4 at most. You'll notice your own negatives or bad moments much more than others. This holds true to others as well. You may find that there are parts of you that you absolutely abhor, but to others, it might be but a small issue or not an issue at all. So people are probably not rejecting/neglecting you as much as you are just too caught up with your own flaws. Accept your flaws and work patiently to fix what you want to fix.
healwithlove
Maybe you are approaching the wrong people? Or maybe you do not feel ready to accept the people in your life? like you feel you do not deserve their friendship? or maybe you are just trying too hard to be liked for what you are not.
Strivingforzen
It sounds like you are experiencing some social anxiety. This is normal to an extent, we all feel as if we are being judged at one point or another. If it becomes overwhelming you could seek assistance from a qualified therapist.
RobinAureliaMae
Sometimes a sense of rejection or neglect comes from childhood relationships, or from low self-esteem. No matter how much love people show you, you have to be willing to trust them and accept it for it to be beneficial. If you are struggling with self-esteem try positive self talk and calming mantras like "This is a bad day, not a bad life", "I am stronger than these feelings", "I am worthy of love, even if I make mistakes" Posting positive self-loving notes around your apartment or bedroom can help
originalbraveheart63
Maybe you just want their attention and that's the reason, sometime other people have their problems and might just not want to talk .
sunshinesmiles11
I think you are looking too much at outsiders for a barometer on how you are feeling. If your focus is on making yourself happy and responsible for your happiness you won't feel neglected or rejected.
Anonymous
This usually happens from past experiences with regards to self esteem. It is something that you aren't ware that can last for a long period of time. Due to past experiences it seems that you have are constantly having that mind set.
Anonymous
Feelings of rejection and neglect come from insecurities within oneself. The best way to overcome these feelings are by learning to live yourself and stop looking for appreciation outside.
Donutgirl68
First, you have to analyze you. Are you a positive or negative person? Are your conversations are good? and not uncomfortable?
Anonymous
I feel this happens sometimes because I do not stand up and insist on being seen, being an important presence. I let things happen around me.
Anonymous
I feel that I am rejected or neglected by people because of the way I look. I have never been the most pretty girl, or the most popular. But its what's on the inside that counts. I am very understanding and caring if you give me the chance.
rabbit2017
I feel rejected or neglected by people when I have unrealistic expectations from them and when they fail to deliver, I imagine it's a form of rejection.
Anonymous
That must be very stressful, but you are definitely not alone in feeling this way. Sometimes, I feel as if no one accepts me for the way I am and no one wants to spend time with me (this isn't necessarily true since I do have friends that care, but my head likes to turn against itself sometimes and I take the slightest rejection as a sign that I am not "worthy" enough). I think it's important that, no matter what other people may really think of you, you have to love yourself first. You have to believe that you are capable of being loved, and that you are fun/interesting to be around first before you seek acceptance from others.
Anonymous
Ouch! That sounds like a painful feeling. Has something happened recently that's led to how you're feeling?
Notflawless
You feel that way because you not prioritizing yourself, learn to love yourself first, cause when you show yourself some love, it will reflect on your personality and this will help you feel better and those who really want to mingle or be involved with you will come on its own.
caringSound12
Your differences in beliefs and behavior might give you the feeling of rejection. We cannot avoid this feeling but we should learn how to get up and do not let it feel you down for so long that it affects how you socialize with others.
ASilentObserver
August 3rd, 2017 7:10am
Because the attention you provide isn't reciprocated by people. Generally we expect that if you helping someone in their need, they will also help you in your need. It's the expectation we all have. But when such event not take place and it remains one-sided only, then it feels rejected and neglected by others. To avoid it, accept the fact that you can't control other's thoughts and actions but you can guide yours. So, try to do what seems best to you!