Is it normal to miss the feeling of missing someone? And how to stop that?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

Anonymous
Saudade is used to explain the feeling of missing something or someone. It is used to tell about something that you used to have (and liked) but don't have anymore. ... In a whole bunch of clumsy English words, Naturally, missing your SO is a totally normal reaction to being separated from them. Whether you're apart for weeks, or if distance is a constant fixture in your relationship — we can all agree that pining after someone who isn't physically with you really sucks. In a sense, the feeling of missing someone isn't actually about them. It's about you. When you miss a person, you miss being in their space, sharing their experiences, and if you stop feeling this way, you'll stop feeling like you're missing a part of yourself. .
Ayethere
Yes it's normal to miss someone. But that doesn't mean you gotta stop it right away. I mean you cant just stop your brain from thinking of them and thinking of the memories you have. Sometime its always healthy for our brain to reminisce happy moments. It's not the person totally that we miss but the moment itself, the feeling. But.. If you got a conflict with this person you're missing, you have to divert your attention to other things like engaging in your hobbies. Like watching movies. And also if you're in good terms with this person, why not text or call them so they would know.
supportiveHeart444
To think of the grieving process when someone is no longer a part of your life. We go through stages and sometimes those stages do not make sense. To really embrace what you might be feeling this way and what you feel like you need to take away from these thoughts and feeling. Also, to define to word normal, is there a true thing as normal? What does normal mean to you. So what may be normal to you may not be normal to someone else. So to look at these feelings and question why you may be having them and to understand that this may be normal to you.
hellohiangel
Ofcourse it is. Even though how much hard time they made us feel, we always have that thought of missing them. And it is normal. You may not only miss the person but also the memories you have with them. It is because somehow they became a special person to you. And you may also find yourself, looking for that particular someone even though there are many people who surrounds you. it is because they still have that special place in your heart. Although it's hard to stop that, if you are really desperate, you need to think about some things. Distract yourself go to parties, watch movies. But becareful on meeting someone, or looking for someone just to forget him/her. Because you may make them a rebound or a past time unintentionally. But to sum it up, you need to try new things that isn't related to the person you want to forget. Like the things you never tried with him/her. But hey don't rush things, everything takes time. Healing takes time. And in time, all will be alright. In time, you will just find yourself, looking at that certain someone, without a hint of pain in you. I wish you happiness:)
FloraisonLuv
It is completely normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. We've all experienced that certain feeling once up a time. There's no real way to stop it,but what you can do in efforts to minimize it is by finding ways to help distract yourself like taking up an old or new hobby or hanging with friends or getting lost in a long book series. Having healthy distractions can eventually take way that certain feeling that you miss and to help cope with things as a whole. What are some of your hobbies that you enjoy doing or hope to eventually pick up?
Pxidis
Missing someone is very normal. Not missing them is also normal. Feelings are addictive, just as any drug is addictive, and food is addictive. We become addicted to feelings such as joy, sorrow, meloncholy, being elated, depression, hating, loving, and yes, missing. If we have missed someone for a long time, and then stopped missing them as we move on in our life, we might occasionally miss the missing just as a reformed smoker misses a cigarette even though they quite 10 years ago. Missing is normal, as is not missing, as is the feeling of missing the missing.
AllNaturalMary
Yes, it's normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. I'm learning to call a thing a thing to stop it. Start by inhaling (choosing to release the name of person) moving your face to the right, and exhale all the way to the left( releasing the name of the person you missing) back to the center. You do this every time you start to think about that person through the day. Did you could also journal your feelings each day. Take a few minutes out of your time to start working on yourself. Over time it will help.
Anonymous
Yes it is normal to miss someone. Naturally, missing your SO is a totally normal reaction to being separated from them. Whether you're apart for weeks, or if distance is a constant fixture in your relationship — we can all agree that pining after someone who isn't physically with you really sucks. So it's not surprising that the chemical reactions and what happens in your brain when you miss your partner can explain many of the feelings that may come up. As humans, we are often driven by brain processes we have no idea are occurring on a conscious level, but that doesn't mean that the feelings arising from these processes don't affect us in very real ways
Anonymous
well missing someone is normal it happens more when you have less people around you and you are more like attach to one person only. Being close with one person only and not being able to have friend circle of many have this effect more according to attachment theory. Though missing someone is totally common you do not have to feel that you are all alone with this unique nature that no human does. Just remember if you do not wish to mish someone so much and feel sad and lonely without him you should just start new hobby for eg you can join book club.
DennisJanse
yes, of course it is, try to seek out to them, show that you have been missing them, for example message or call them on a social media, start out a conversation, just talk with them, then you could ask for a meet up, see them in person, and talk to them or see them regularly so the feeling of missing them doesnt come back, try to keep contact, go out and do fun activities like golfing, bowling, just chilling and watching netflix, playing video games, listening to music, or something else you would like to do with the person youve missed.
Anonymous
It is normal to miss the feeling of someone, and it is totally ok. There may be a reason you're missing them, you miss the memories, what went wrong and so much more. What you can do it understand, and to understand what went wrong and to accept. If you feel like you made a mistake, you can be the bigger person and apologize, and it may help you get over them. Accepting what went wrong and not being in denial is also key because if you went wrong and refuse to accept it, you are creating a toxic relationship with not only them but yourself. You can do this :)
AllEars777
One should never try measuring their feelings on a scale of normality. Every feeling you feel is normal because you are a human being and feelings are what keep you alive. While you should not be driven by them, reflecting on why you feel a certain way is healthy. From personal experience I can say that yes it is normal, I have missed a person immensely for a long time and then stopped eventually. And I missed that space inside my heart, the vacant feeling that missing someone gives. I asked myself- Why dont I miss the person now? Why do I miss missing the person? Your reason can be different but mine was simply time. Life goes on and I simply got busy feeling other stuff from other people somehow that one day missing that person took a back seat. About how to stop it, don't stress too much about stopping it. If you don't miss someone, tell yourself its okay...its just one of those feelings out of hundreds of other things we feel. Focus on your other feelings maybe and let it just naturally take its course.
courageousWords5138
yes it is normal to miss someone who was close to you again and again even if you don't want to. You just have to distract yourself from that thought instantly and think about something else, basically take your mind off tht topic and let that thought pass. I hope you are able to forget that person since you want to! because i know its hard to forget people you have built so many memories with or it could even be a thing but you have to let go off things and start thinking that there is something better in store for ya!
Allearsdrew0517
What about them do you miss? It's hard to answer this question without the context of who you miss, why you miss them, the relationship dynamics etc. This is a very complex question, but I'll try and answer it in a short and sweet way. Missing people is completely normal, we are social creatures after all. There is nothing we can really do to minimize the hurt of missing someone, and even If we could, would that be healthy/would we really want that anyway? The experience of missing someone or something is what makes us cherish it so much when we have it. If you are feeling like you miss them in an unhealthy way, such as an unhealthy attachment style (seeing them every day and being in extreme distress during short breaks in contact, constantly thinking you'rer "missing" them when it's really just attachment anxiety in disguise). sort of way then that's something that you need to examine with or without a therapist and get to the root of. I have a feeling the situation is more complicated than the simple question but I tried my best to summate a few different points.
Anonymous
Of course it's normal! I'm not sure how to stop it though. Focus and work on yourself and the feeling will get smaller and smaller. It hurts sometime losing someone or having to cut off someone for your own health but it does get better. Pain is not an everlasting thing and it will not be a burden for you forever. Find things that make you happy and try your best to move forward. Everything will be okay. Look for people in your life that will support and love you. I can't tell you how to stop missing someone but I can tell you that it get's better. It will really help. You're amazing!
Anonymous
I know it may feel strange to stop missing someone but it means you have moved on. To stop that you could try and do activities that make you happy so you can get your mind off the person. Eventually, by constantly doing other things you will not miss them and you will move on. If it was an ex partner you can think it wasn’t meant to be and if it was, you will cross paths again. Moving on and stop missing someone is a normal part of life to be able to grow as a Person. So it is normal.
Greenshoots0101
From personal experience, it is normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. Having lost a close relative a few years ago I went through the various stages of grieving and it was a challenging time for me as I missed this person so much. It was like a huge empty hole in my life which I couldn't cope with. But over time, normality of life did return despite me thinking it never would. However, I still missed them despite some sense of normality returning and it was very comforting to me to have a feeling of missing them. A few years down the line, and I would say that I remember this person fondly and will always love them but I no longer have that feeling of 'missing them'. And this is a comforting feeling that I do miss actually. So, I no longer miss the person, but I do miss not having the feeling of missing them.
Anonymous
It is completely Normal and acceptable to have feelings for someone and to also miss them dearly! We are human beings who derive off of intercultural communicational techniques of empathy and interaction and when someone important in our lives is no longer apparent well then it’s painful to go through but ITS OKAY TO FEEL THOSE FEELINGS! The BEST possible way to stop feeling those feelings is by not avoiding them because burying them will regurgitate them out later when you would least appreciate it, but by facing yourself and being completely honest and open with YOURSELF and have that inner dialogue that really speaks about how you’re thinking and feeling about this person and work through your feelings. When you do this you start allowing yourself to heal because you are facing the issue and then you address why they aren’t in your life anymore and why they don’t need to be and if they were good in your life then address that too and include the positive impact that they had on you and why they are no longer needed to be in your life anymore.
Anonymous
Yes it is normal to miss that feeling! I think I use to do this because I would enjoy the thought of someone more then the actual person. Learning to love being alone is probably the first step. Enjoy you’re own company! Next honestly just build friendships. Make sure it’s people you enjoy to be around. That way when you hang with them you enjoy the time with them but when you’re not with them, you still feel happy. If this doesn’t work try to figure out what it is you really miss. Is it just the fact that you use to have someone worth missing? Go to the root of the problem & work from there!