Why do I always say things I don't mean?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

MandeeS
February 1st, 2018 4:44pm
There could be various different reasons! You could be on edge and want someone to feel what you're feeling. also, when we're angry it is very common to say things we don't mean.
Angelsupporter9
Sometimes we don't think about what we are going to say, and that's just humane and part of us. You can always apologize after saying things you didn't mean to.
ConnerAlexzander
When we get angry or panicked, we say things that we think will end the discussion quickly; but those things can be hurtful. We just have to be more conscious of what comes out of our mouths; in other words: think before you speak.
Imperfect84
Sometimes our emotions get the best of us and we end up acting and behaving in ways that we never would have imagined. It happens to the best of us, don't worry.
Anonymous
Because you are mad and you say stuff that makes the other person feel bad but you dont mean it.....
bouncyBraid80
Sometimes we temper our words and say what we think others might want to hear instead of truly saying what we feel. We do ourselves a disservice when we don't speak our truths.
SpontaneousDragonfly
In my experience, people say things they don't mean because they are either scared of what may happen if they say what they truly think, or they don't know what they mean. People are always scared of what others will think of them and that's one of the driving forces behind saying things people don't really mean.
Anonymous
Based on my personal experience I don’t always mean things I say. I have anger issues and because of my rude and bluntness I often drive people away. But what they don’t realize it is if I say things I don’t mean and fight with you that’s just my way of in a way of showing concern. Sometimes our anger gets the best of us and I believe that for me personally if I am angry and say something harsh you should look at the character I show every other day rather and know I have good intentions instead of basing judgement on what I say. I never mean it.
Anonymous
sometimes we don't think about the things we say before saying them we just say it in such situations one should remain calm and think before saying things
jessi13
maybe you are just confused about your feelings or maybe you just express your self in the right way i'm sure people who loves you will forgive you if you made it clear you didn't mean what you said
Anger and upset can cause people to say or do may things that they should not or would not say normally. If u feel that what you are saying is hurting someone learn to tone down and find out where it is coming from.
BeautifulOutlaw
You might be saying them because you're hurt or have regret. Could also be, because you have a guard up and don't want people to know the real you?
blissfulForest67
I think sometimes the world puts this pressure on us to act a certain way or to say certain things even if we don't mean them. I think that is why I say certain things.
Gladdy
There could be many things that stops you from saying what you really mean. Was it due to the fear of embarrassment, not knowing if you shared certain things and how the person will react? Not sure if the person would accept your vulnerability. Then again, what will happen if you are more genuine to yourself. Give it a try, if it brings you closer to what you want. Maybe, saying what you meant is what both you and him/her really need. It takes time. Persevere.
Hikushi
Perhaps because your intentions don't match with your words. Perhaps you're hurt in the moment and want to retaliate.
Anonymous
Sometime we say things in the moment, without thinking through the way it may affect someone else! Our feelings take control and we say the first thing we think of!
Sunshine201
It's basically ,a wrong choice of words, a habit can replace a habit, repeat and practice the process of thinking for few seconds first, and then saying anything, think about respectful and kind words,
Anonymous
Because you're human! Part of life is making mistakes, saying things we don't mean, hurting people we care about. What defines you as a person is how you learn and grow from these experiences and how you fix your mistake. A heartfelt apology can go a long way but not if it's the same apology for the same mistake over and again.
Craig123
Fear in my experience is a powerful driver to make me say things that I don't mean. If the fear is so strong then my subconscious I think can do anything to try and get out of the situation. In a way trying too hard to be perfect makes that other part of me lash out in self defence, when with more self awareness, the simple answer could have simply been to walk out of a conversation or say I wasn't comfortable.
Anonymous
Sometimes if you are worked up about a problem and you are just trying to make a point you can say things you don't necessarily mean or think are true.
YourCanadianFriendEm
This just means you you impulsively speak. It's ok. Everyone does it, some more than others. I find that it helps to rehearse in your head first and try to think of the outcome and how the person is going to react. Even bite your tongue if it helps, but not hard of course. This happens more often when someone is mad, upset, frustrated, or even just blatantly tired. Don't put yourself down for it. My friends know not to continue arguing with me when I'm mad because I always say things that I don't mean when I'm upset. It helps instead of trying to avoid saying things that I don't mean all by myself. Just try your best to think before you speak. I know, it's hard, but you can do it.
Racheal36
It's important to think about our words and actions before we do or say them. Of you are very passionate about certain things, this can happen to anyone. Try to really listen and meditate on a response before saying it.
benevolentPanda11
From my own personal experience, I feel that we mostly end up saying what we don't mean when we are angry and want to hurt the person at the receiving end. But such thoughtless utterances give only momentary satisfaction because the moment we are calm again, we end up regretting every word we said when in anger.
Anonymous
You may not be thinking before you speak, this is ok as a lot of people make this mistake. Try to think things through more :)
ImaginationIsKey
Sometimes it's hard for you to show your true emotions. It's easier to lock it all inside. Try to let it go sometimes.
ingenioussunshine26
sometimes people say things they just don't mean because they have not looked at the whole picture. I say things i don't mean because i don't realize my comment may affect the other person, It is human nature to say things you don't mean because you may not have the time to think before you respond. people understand you if they know you well. for example, you may be having the time of your life and you are on the phone with someone you love but they are not there with you so they fell left out and you don't stop to say hey wish you were here with me.it may not be enough and they end up feeling sad. You have to look around but thee is nothing to say about it so you say the wrong thing because saying the right thing is difficult to figure out. you could say i will make it up to you somehow. it is decision making and decisions have to be made fast sometimes. look inward or change the subject.
InSync
Because we often don't realize the the real worth of words. That's why being mindful is a great asset.
Anonymous
Sometimes our emotions make us saying things we don't mean in the moment. Taking a moment to breathe and reflect on how you would feel hearing that comment can help when unsure of what you are saying is good to say.
Anonymous
When faced with a hard situation where a decision has to be made, normally people tend to say or do the first thing that comes to their mind. Most of the times, it's not even what people mean, but they said or did that in a spontanuous way. In my opinion, before you say anything, you should take a step back, take a deep breath and think about the whole situation and about your possible responses. Have always in mind that your words and actions can effect other people.
Anonymous
Because in the heat of the moment, my mind is telling me that those things are true. It is when things calm down and I reflect on what was said, that I realize I said things that I didn't mean.