Why do I always say things I don't mean?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

Sometimes emotions have a funny way of taking over the person we really are or are really meant to be. It could be a difficult thing and difficlt situation especially if it causes pain or regret in the end to yourself or to someone else. If you feel this is something that is affecting your life or relationships, you could try looking into a counselor or therapist. Or even a support group like Emotions Anonymous to discuss your feelings.
ImyourFriend18
March 22nd, 2017 12:52am
Because in that moment when you say them, you don't think straight. You are angry, or broken, or hurt, anything, and you don't realize how much can words hurt. You probably have so many feelings inside of you, which want to get out but you hold them inside, and then you say words you don't mean to; it's how you deal with your emotions.
Anonymous
Because I cannot control my emotions and I do not know how I feel. And how to express myself. I am lost in my world of thoughts that does not make sense.
Anonymous
It could just be a defense mechanism? I used to say things to people and didn't know why because I didn't mean a word of it. Sometimes we say things so we don't seem vulnerable and to express false feelings to someone.
Glareofyesterday
Because you simply choose to. In my opinion no one can make you mad but you choose to become mad and speak without much thought
lovelyLynx18
Maybe you said it in the moment of a heated conversation. If you didn't mean it, tell the person that you didn't mean it.
AbsoIet
Maybe because you're scared of putting your true feelings and emotions out there because you think people might not understand, or might judge you.
Brittneym101
You usually say things you don't mean when you're upset or agitated at something or someone. So instead of saying something nice and respectful, you end up saying negative, harmful and/or things that you don't mean and also to keep from accepting or telling the truth for example If I say that I hate my ex boyfriend when I know that I don't I just don't want to accept the fact that I do still love him. It's basically a you laugh to keep from crying kind of thing.
Anonymous
Sometimes we don't want to hurt the person we love or we are just a people pleaser. Learn to say the things that you mean so that you don't hurt yourself. Love yourself more!
Anonymous
Sometimes we say things we actually don't mean.. Maybe because we are angry at someone or something. Thinking logically before saying things.. Giving a pause before saying anything may help
cristiana33
It might be a choice you are making without really having the intention to say them like that. That usually happens when we are trying to protect ourselves and our strong walls of protection tend to make us respond quickly in a hurtful way for others. Try to analyze why do you say the things you say, to whom and how you could change them. It will take a while to improve, but it only comes down to how willing are you to be more vulnerable/open to others.
iamia23
Sometimes, you might say things that you don't mean because your afraid (of something or someone) and not being real to Yourself.
GayGuyListens2975
Saying things that you don't mean to say usually are due to your brain being stressed and causing you to underthink what you are saying and not thinking of the future effects of the words which is why you typically don't realize the accidental comment is unintentional until after it is said and after your brain begins to focus back in. This is most common in arguments and moments of anger.
FlowerInDisguise19
You may be feeling anxious meaning that its stuttering your speech? Or maybe you get confused with your words? Hmm or sometimes we as humans dont know how to express ourselves in words, its true, so we end up saying things we don't mean by accident. You just gotta try and find your best means of communicating your feelings/thoughts to people :)
ChristineBernadetteScott
In a state of panic, people usually say the first thing that comes to mind. Which sometimes they don't mean. It's a usual anxiety response to do so.
Purpleauroras
Because when I'm upset, I confuse my feelings with my current emotion and I express myself incorrectly. Or I hide my true feelings behind indifference because I'm afraid of expressing myself.
LightAngel808
When you are out of control and out of your mind. Here what you call you do autopilot. That must be managed.
PixelPeculiarity
I say things I don't mean when I don't know what else to say. Sometimes, I say things that I shouldn't have said and I have to live with the fact that I did say it. It happens though.
Anonymous
In a fit of anger or in frustration, we say things we don’t mean when we lose control of our emotions. We act first instead of thinking it through, and hurt the other person with our words. We all say things we don’t mean - to our friends, family, or even strangers. What’s important at the end is to build up the courage to apologize and correct yourself when you have the chance. Your family and friends will only then understand that you didn’t mean what you said at first.
Anonymous
I say things I don't mean because I'm afraid of what will someone think if I say something weird, so I just go woth something easy and mostly false.
anonymousXangel
It might come out of anger. You might've been caught up in the moment, and the words just came out wether you meant them or not.
2cupsofteaa
It's most likely because you may have trouble portraying your real feelings because you're scared to, or you're worried about being judged so you say things that you think other people want to hear.
WaltDisneyAnimations
People say things they don't mean for a lot of different reasons, I think you might want to look at the emotions behind why you say the things you don't mean. Is it out of anger? Or sadness? Or so you don't get in trouble?
Anonymous
January 22nd, 2017 5:29pm
Maybe because we get frustrated by not knowing ourselves how to cope with a situation we are not used to. Therefore we are likely to snap sometimes but we dont mean to.
politeSun69
probably you say things when you are emotional and words come out wrongly.you could mean it at that time because you are feeling certain things but after realise you didn't mean it that way.good action, would be avoiding saying or responding to certain conversations when you are not in a good mood in that you won't regret bad words
Serenequeen713
I say things I don't mean when my feelings are hurt, I feel attacked, and I am in a state of range or fear. I try these days to remember my first thought is normally wrong and try to rethink my words before they come out.
Bloap
I do this when I'm really fed up with someone or when my feelings are so bottled up that I just explode
drowninghalo
This usually happens when you're at the peak of your emotions. At that point, your thoughts become muddled up and you will be unable to process them easily.
huggerLover14
It is very hard to control at times some emotions or thoughts you have, but have not been in a situation to express. At the time when you get into an argument with someone, along with the things you kept inside a lot of negative words can come out which often are not what you actually think. It happens to all of us. Be careful however, because sometimes you do mean them but you don't want to admit it.
Anonymous
If you feel stressed, angry, or you just don't know what to say you will always say some random things that you didn't mean to say and that is normal. It happens to everyone