Do I have the right to feel depressed even if I'm privileged?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

Anonymous
No matter who you are or what you have been through, no human being in this world is immune to mental illness. Don't ever be ashamed of who you are or feel like you do not have the right to seek help. Everybody deserves the right to be healthy.
amisfit
Yes you do. They are tricked into believing that they shouldn’t feel down because some people have it worse, but it doesn’t work and they can’t control the things that make them feel sad, they end up hating themselves because they feel like bad people. It’s true that whatever you may be going through, someone out there is going through something worse, but don’t confuse feeling bad with not being grateful. They are two complete different things that people associate with one another. Be grateful for what you have but know that feeling upset is absolutely fine, it’s something natural and never apologize or feel bad for the things that make you upset. 
Anonymous
Absolutely! When I was 13 or so, I was extremely depressed. Unfortunately, my family wouldn't let me get the help I needed. My parents believed it was impossible for me to have any problems at all. The thing is, I was privileged as well. My parents were together, I had my own bedroom, and I had food. I had problems too. My mom was verbally abusive, I was friendless, and I had a bad relationship with my parents. I was depressed, I self harmed, and nobody understood how horrible I felt. Everytime I had a problem, my mom would say I was just feeling sorry for myself. I feel like a selfish, worthless human being who didn't deserve my life. (I could go into detail about some other things that happened to contribute to my depression, but I'd get a bit carried away.) Listen, No matter what you're going through, or how privileged you are, you have the right to feel depressed. And you also have the right to chat with me anytime. @alexisheretohelpyou2
Anonymous
No one needs "permission" to be depressed - if you have depression, then you are depressed. But to answer your question: yes, you do. Depression doesn't take privileges into account. Even if you're privileged in other ways, this is one way that you are not.
Anonymous
Of course you do. Depression can affect anyone at all. Mental illness doesn't discriminate. If you feel depressed you should talk to your doctor about the signs and symptoms in order to find a solution. Good luck! All the best.
Anonymous
Yes you do! Just because you're privileged doesn't make you any different. You're still a human being with feelings.
Anonymous
Of course you do. Everyone has their high and low points in life and being "privileged" doesn't change that. In fact, it's kinda irrelevant. I'm fully aware that word is often thrown around by people these days to win an argument or to further depress / upset so I would honestly suggest ignoring anyone who tries to call you 'privileged'.
Anonymous
Feelings aren't about rights, they are not good nor bad, they just are. You can not control a feeling more than you control a sneeze. If you feel deepressed, you feel depressed. You will have better success healing from your suspected depression by acknowleding it head-on rather than trying to second-guess or judge it.
Anonymous
Of course! Life is not easier because you are privileged, it is just different. Everyone has the right to feel and sometimes the way that we feel is not always good. You also have the right to express your feelings. If you are feeling depressed, talk about it. Everyone feels down sometimes and having someone to talk to can really help. Sometimes talking to strangers is easier, sometimes talking to someone that we care about is. Ultimately, it feels good to get it off our chests and to be honest with ourselves about what we are feeling.
Stellis
Yes. Depression does not care if you are poor, it does not care if you are rich, it does not care if you are white, black, purple, orange, pink or live on the planet Mars. Depression is a flaw in our body Chemistry and that can happen to anyone from 90 year old people to little children. Money does not guarantee happiness and you have every right in the world to feel and experience what you are feeling.
Anonymous
Feelings are never something one earns; they simply are. And feeling depressed is not a pleasant thing in the first place; the right NOT to feel depressed would be worth fighting for! It sounds as if either others, or you yourself in your self-talk, dismiss your negative feelings by pointing to positive things, and suggesting that it is somehow wrong to feel depressed so long as anyone else in the world has things worse in some way. But this is not a very sensible view; it almost seems uniquely reserved to feelings of depression. For instance, suppose you were very wealthy and you broke your arm; nobody would even consider suggesting that you "have no right" to a broken arm, or to the feeling of pain that accompanies it. Someone might say, "At least you can afford a doctor" or "Broken arm or not, you're still wealthy." Neither of these responses, however factually true they might be, strikes me as particularly helpful or empathetic. The same is true regarding depression. It may be easier to understand why someone in a less privileged position might feel depressed, but that seems far removed from the fact of feeling depressed despite that, and useful responses to it.
CopperSkies
Whether or not you are privileged in any way, it makes no difference to a persons mental health. A lot of people say "Money can'd buy happiness" and i think that they do have a valid point with that :)
bubblegumStar74
Anyone can get depressed, just like anyone can catch a cold. You can be depressed no matter how much or little you have, and no matter who you are, you deserve to get help.
HopieRemi
Anyone can be depressed. Depression doesn't discriminate. It's alright to be depressed and you shouldn't feel ashamed that you are. Just because you're privileged, doesn't mean you can't get depressed.
YourSanctuary
Yes. Everyone feels some sort of depression. Even if you may have everything you ever wanted in the world, there are still things that will prevent you from being happy.
Anonymous
From personal experience, I believe yes because although you may not be facing the same trouble as someone less privileged, you may have other worries, other things that get to you. Depression is an illness that can be cured. People don't believe privileged people don't break bones so why would you believe they can't get depressed? It's like the saying 'money can't buy you happiness' and it can't cure depression either, in my opinion anyway.
delightfulOasis62
Of course ! We all are humans, and humans have feelings. Depression is a big mix of a lot of emotions, and being privileged doesn't make your emotions less worthy. No problems aren't important..
Anonymous
Yes. Depression is an illness, and privileged people can still get sick.
omica
Yes, of course, anyone can feel depressed for their own personal reasons. Being depressed is not designed only for lower people.
Anonymous
Sweetie, everyone has the right to feel however they feel. If you feel you're suffering from depression, you should consider the help of a mental health professional. As for being privileged, I'm assuming this means nothing "went wrong" in your life; while this is really good and isn't something to be ashamed of, this suggests that your depression may simply be a chemical imbalance rather than a situational result. Best of luck to you in your progress to recovery!
Anonymous
Yes, you have. Feeling and emotions are different for anybody so they might suffer from things other persons would not even care about, because everybody has different views on things and struggles. Just because you have it better than other people you are still allowed to be sad.
Anonymous
No matter how many things you have, or how privileged you are - you will always come across a low point in your life. You have every right to feel depressed, your income or your material items should not determine your emotional rights.
Pandette
Depression can hit anyone at any point in their lives, if they are privileged or if they are not. Don't ever think that you are not allowed to feel depressed no matter the situation. Certain circumstances or chemical imbalances can lead to the occurrence of depression. If you feel like you are depressed, please seek help and know that we are here to help as well.
smolbirb
Yes you can. Depression can be caused by all sorts of reasons. If your privileged, poor, in the middle, or anything, any person some all sorts of backgrounds can have distressing emotions that can cause depression. .
Anonymous
Everyone has the right to feel depressed. Being privileged has not got anything to do with it. You could be the richest person in the world and still be depressed.
Anonymous
Sometimes it is even more the case. Everyone expects the priviledged just to be happy and enjoy what they have. What if I do not? I can feel bad and low and depressed like anybody else. It is not a matter of being priviledged or not. Things happen to different kinds of people. I have the right to seek help too
Anonymous
Yeah, there's no such thing as having the "right" to a mental illness. It's not a one-size-fits-all type of thing. Anyone who comes from any background can have clinical depression, just as anyone can just have the blues or break an arm or have anxiety when speaking in front of a class.
Akadaniella
yes,because we all feel feel depressed for a reason even if any of us have everything we want still theres things we cant get so
Anonymous
Of course you do. We can't choose how we feel, so we certainly shouldn't feel guilty about it. Depression can come to anyone, privileged or not
MeganL91
Absolutely. It is good to be aware of your blessings and to practice gratitude, but your privilege does not dictate how you are "allowed" to feel. You are human and deserve to acknowledge and work through your emotions in the same ways as everyone else.