I feel sad a lot, unmotivated, and I often can't stop crying for many hours. But I sleep and eat decently and I also can smile or laugh sometimes. Am I depressed or just sad?

Jui Shankar, Ph.D

My worldview offers a systems perspective that values diverse clients and their struggles. I believe supportive and nonjudgmental therapeutic relationships empower clients.

helpyou
You are sad. You need to pamper yourself. Love yourself. Take care of yourself. Do things that make you happy.
LeonMcLion
Think of depression like an unwanted visitor. It is not always there, when it's not there you can still manage to laugh along and smile to other people like you're perfectly fine but when it comes to visit you, that is where everything seems to break down.
Anonymous
You may be feeling sad and low at this time, from my own experience - during bouts of depression, the person can't find one thing to smile about and feels nothing to look forward to.
royalWillow84
You might have a mild case of depression but mild does not mean less serious. Contact a doctor and seek help. It wont make you weird or less amazing. Over half the population deals with depression.
Anonymous
It could be bipolar depression. I've struggled with this for quite awhile. It gets easier and you can get through it
Anonymous
it is probably both. It could be like times in my life when this happens and I am just low or depressed and at other times I am able to see some hope.
ennaeyx
You should seek trained professionals for help on this subject, however in my own opinion, a lot of these signs seem to show as symptoms of depression.
brickbrickandtheocean
You may just be going through a bout of sadness, or you may have a serious problem. Just because you can smile or laugh sometimes does not make your problem invalid. Also just because you sleep and eat does not make it invalid. If you need any support do not hesitate to contact me
WorkInProgress11
No one can diagnose you as depressed other than a doctor. However, apathy, lack of motivation, and extended periods of sadness can be indicators of depression. I recommend going to see a doctor if this lasts longer than two weeks to get a professional opinion and hopefully some help.
Anonymous
its hard to know if you're clinically depressed without an official diagnosis. it could be depression; just because you smile and are happy sometimes doesn't mean you don't have depression.
NyxCain
Depression isn't necessarily a constant thing so it's entirely possible you are depressed. Everyone depression looks different. I'd recommend you consider seeing a therapist or psychiatrist to figure out if you need help
CopperSkies
This is a very difficult question and the answer could be either. If you feel that this is a problem for you, i think that it would be best for you to visit a doctor and they could better help you.
sereneHoliday36
Does the label really matter? Call it depressed; call it sad, or call it anything you like. You are concerned right now about how you feel. It's important to sleep and eat decently but what emotions cause you to cry for many hours? Sometimes sadness is "situational" because something terrible has happened. Someone you love or your long time pet has died. That's to be expected. Sometimes we can feel unhappy for seemingly no reason at all. It is probably a wise idea to check that sort of sadness out, especially if it lasts for quite a while.
PkyuuCookie
To be depressed doesn't mean you can't be happy sometimes. I'm a really depressed yet cheerful person and I always laugh when I want to. You are a really honest person when it's about your feeling and that's good! Being depressed i's a feeling to you have to deal for a long period of time while being sad it's almost just a short phase.
Anonymous
you are depressed, because depression is a long-term sadness causing to not eat and sleep. Sad is a short-term feeling unmotivated.
Anonymous
Not clinical depression, but maybe slight depression with bi polar. You should get checked up. Sadness won't always affect how you function.
TheIrrationalBuddhist20
This sounds like you're battling some mean depression. I would suggest talking with a psychiatrist and see what can be done to get you some relief!
Valueyouheart13
Ask yourself why am i feeling this way. Write down a few things to make you understand whats getting you down. tick the box and move forward. You deserve happiness and depression is a choice, you can get up any day
BigHeartBetty
Well, there are lots of different types of depression. One is dysthymia. Dysthymia is a milder form of depression, it lasts usually around two years, and fluctuates. Don't be worried even if it is depression-- depression can be beat with support, love, and a listening ear.
Anonymous
You sound like you are depressed, try talking to friends/family/your doctor/your therapist, you will get better, good luck!
RobinAureliaMae
Sometimes sadness and lack of motivation can come from other causes. For instance sadness can be situational, and if you address the situation the best you can, or disengage from harmful situations, the sadness will be lessened (although slowly). Sometimes we need to find things we love - volunteering, hobbies, reading, journalling, or just walking with music in or enjoying a cup of tea to motivate us. Having a void of things we enjoy can cause us to feel at a loss. But if sadness and lack of motivation are chronic, and you're in a reasonably healthy environment and try to engage, than yes - this sounds like depression and therapy, workbooks, talking to social supports, medication, or talk therapy may be useful. Book an appointment with you doctor!
strangePerson
December 2nd, 2016 9:43am
Sadness is periodic. That means you usually are happy and respond in sadness only in situations that provoke a reaction like that. Depression is the overhanging sadness that is always above you. You can sometimes look out from that shadow (laughing smiling), but the shadow is still there.
Anonymous
Even depressed people can still feel positive emotions. It just doesn't seem to last. Or provide the comfort it used to. Only a professional can really diagnose depression, but you know what your normal is, and if this is it, it might be time to get some help.
Anonymous
I think you're just sad. I sometimes feel that way too when various things in life aren't going my way. I get stuck in a state of mind that makes me see things negatively. Try to focus on what is going right and know that your perspective can change.
Maxwallride
Any depressed person can sleep and eat decently and smile and laugh. Just because someone is depressed doesn't mean they cannot do these things and many more things normally. The symptoms you are describing are symptoms of depression and you should definitely see a health care provider if you are concerned. They can help you figure out this answer. Good luck!
Anonymous
Feeling sad can be a common emotion. However feeling sad a lot of the time can mean something is troubling you. Signs of depression show sadness also loss of appetite. However feeling sad and crying for hours can also be a symptom. I used to cry for hours and I was very unsure of whether I had to depression or I was just sad. There is a lot of information you can find online to see. If you are feeling worthless or sucicidal the chances are you are suffering from a form of depression. If you are, see a doctor or your GP as soon as possible to give you specific advice.
Anonymous
That is a difficult question because depression is different for everyone. For me I shut down and was very withdrawn for many months, and still have draw backs to this day. This may be depression, lack of interest in things that used to bring you joy and constant down feelings are signs of depression. Try something new, see if that brings feeling and joy back into your life.
strongforce
You might be depressed. Depression isn't always constant. You might want to talk to a therapist about how you feel.
Anonymous
Being sad and depressed are two different things. You know yourself better than anyone else. You are your own expert. You don't need someone to diagnose you with something to be sure that's what you are. I'm not saying that's what you're looking for just kind of thinking aloud. Anyway, sleeping and eating fine is good at least. Try and notice of those habits start to change such as: being able to fall asleep, but not stay asleep, oversleeping too much, eating habits changing, eating very little during the day and self-gorging in the evening, as well as eating disorders. Just keep an eye on your habits and your physical representation and actions. How much work do you do voluntarily? How much thinking about random things do you do? You are the only one that can determine if you are depressed or not.
Anonymous
There are a lot of factors to consider. But imo, when this feeling of being unmotivated and sad goes on for more than weeks or even months, to the point where it destroys your life, it definitely warrant a serious consideration for treatment (be it by medication or changing in lifestyle or counselling)