I feel sad a lot, unmotivated, and I often can't stop crying for many hours. But I sleep and eat decently and I also can smile or laugh sometimes. Am I depressed or just sad?

Jui Shankar, Ph.D

My worldview offers a systems perspective that values diverse clients and their struggles. I believe supportive and nonjudgmental therapeutic relationships empower clients.

Anonymous
It depends on how long you've been feeling this way. If it has been for more than 2 weeks, you may be depressed. Just because you have normal eating and sleeping habits doesn't mean you're not depressed. Go see a doctor if you are very concerned, medication and professional therapy can help with the sadness and motivation.
Rakune
This generally depends on how consistent those feelings are. Do you feel this most of the time? How intensely? According to the psychiatrist, who gave me my medication, even if I eat and sleep decently and can be happy sometimes, the underlying emotion is still sadness, and I still dragged myself through the day. I was diagnosed with depression. However, as I've said before, whether you're depressed or feeling sad, it doesn't matter. Either way, you should help yourself and get support from friends and family. If this works out, but you go back to being unmotivated and sad, you should probably seek professional help.
Valkyrie13
It is best to see a doctor if these moods are concerning you. As we are not doctors, there is no way for us to determine whether it is merely sadness, or depression, ensure you let someone you trust know about how you are feeling as well in case youd like someone to go with you to the doctors appointment, remember you are not alone
Anonymous
Depression comes in all shapes and forms. If this feeling has lasted more than 2 years it is almost safe to say it could be depression. Also it would be good to take into account things that might possibly occured in your life leading up to you feeling this way. For your best interest, if you think you possibly have depression, I would get a test done to be sure of it.
ingeniousBerry82
It's likely that you are just sad. But the terms is not the issue here. If you're feeling sad and unmotivated, we need to look into ourselves and understand why that is. Understanding the reasons is the first step towards fixing a problem. Sometimes it's an event or a person that makes you sad, other times it's a compilation of many situations that happen in the past. Now that you have a slight idea of why you're feeling the way you did, we need to look into what we can do to improve or get rid of your negative feelings/thoughts. It can be direct actions to fix the problems or it can simply be ways to self-care such as yoga, meditation, shopping, hanging out with friends, music therapy, etc. Whatever it is finding someone you can trust and is supportive to talk about it is really helpful in my case.
oreosauce
You seem to have symptoms of depression. Depression doesn't mean you cannot laugh or smile. It's a state of being and often prohibits your ability to motivate yourself independently. What may be causing you to cry or feel sad? Reflecting on what may be causing this sadness by writing your feelings in a journal or speaking to a professional or friend may help you come to terms with your emotions and move forward from there.
Anonymous
You are depressed. Depression is more than just sadness. It feels like you have this horrible weight on your chest and your mind is racing. You just want to cry for no exact reason. I have depression, and I know what it feels like. Even if we don't all have the same symptoms or thoughts while we are depressed, it still is horrible for all of us. I hope you get better soon, love.
comfortinghours
I don't think depression is just a label you can put whenever you feel down. Depression can be a constant feeling of emptiness but it can also hit at the most random times, like when you're with friends and you're halfway through a laugh and you just stop. Depression is personal for everybody and can be experienced differently for anybody.
Anonymous
It sounds like you are depressed to me. Sometimes people with depression don't feel all the symptoms of depression, just some..which is why you are sleeping and eating but struggling in other areas. I would strongly suggest seeking professional help if you are feeling so down that you cry for long periods of time and are always sad. Help is out there.
Anonymous
You are showing some of the major symptoms of depression and people who are depressed often do smile and laugh but do not mean it fully. I have gone through what you have and it is really aggravating not knowing what you're dealing with. I think the best thing to do would be to get diagnosed by your doctor
Anonymous
Depression affects everyone differently. Not everyone gets all the symptoms. In fact you often found the people that are depressed are the ones that do smile and laugh. Whenever I first realised what I was feeling was depression I was sleeping all the time as opposed to not sleeping. Perhaps go to a GP and discuss how you're feeling and see if they can give you a dignosis
Anonymous
I can not diagnose you, but if you are concerned about your emotional wellbeing you can always seek out a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist who can provide a diagnosis.
glowingshadows213
I'm not a specialist so I can't diagnose much, however it could be the beginning of it. Everyone has a different experience with depression. Physical symptoms are just a part of it but emotional symptoms count for a lot too. If you think it's impacting your daily life then get evaluated by a psychologist ASAP. It's better to treat the problem before it gets worse, that applies to ALL illnesses and especially mental illnesses. Some other things you can do is try taking a break, focusing on improving your diet and exercise, working on things that you enjoy or used to enjoy. Travelling or spending time with friends. Goodluck and I hope you feel better!
HungryAlpaca
The fact that these feelings do affect your life and cause you distress is enough to cause concern, even if you can still do some things normally. You can still have good days and happy feelings even while depressed. What makes depression significant is that your negative feelings become overwhelming, whereas sadness is a passing emotion.
Anonymous
Depressed , Go to a doctor as soon as you can and I mean it ! Good luck love ! ๐Ÿ’–โค๏ธ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’˜๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’š
SoulHealing
Consider to see a professional that can determine if you are depressed or not and advice a good treatment.
niamh333
If you think you may be depressed it would be best to see a professional about it as I am not trained to make that diagnosis. However, feeling sad, unmotivated and crying a lot are signs of depression, and someone with depression can still smile, laugh, sleep and eat. It affects everyone differently and people cope in different ways. If in doubt, it is best to speak to someone about it! :)
Streudel
You may be in a bit of a middle ground of sadness and depression. This case sounds more like sadness because of the fact that there is more crying involved. Some people who are depressed feel like they cant cry.
LJBedardMACounsellingPsychology
September 22nd, 2017 12:50am
There are varying degrees of depression, from mild to moderate to severe. If you are not sure it might be a good idea to talk to your doctor. Sometimes in life, situations make us sad, like losing a friend, losing a pet, etc., in which case sadness is appropriate. We are supposed to be sad sometimes. Other times there are hormonal, genetic factors or trauma from the past that contributes to our overall sense of not feeling well. That's why talking to a professional can help to sort things out and determine what's going on, why and what to do about it. Hang in there, and please try to be kind to yourself :)
LotsofLove92
Depression is a funny one because we picture someone who is just eternally devastated and constantly sad and basically checked out of life. But the reality is that people with depression are not always 100% sad. Of course they have a genuine mental illness, but it's like when you have food poisoning, you feel extremely ill but you can still have positive points during that time. However with depression being something so serious, it's best not to be idle when it comes to your mental health. Seek help from your GP if you feel like your sadness and down periods are getting more frequent or are concerning you. There's no shame in asking for help, your mental health is just as important as your physical help.
SalParadise
Depression takes many forms, one diagnose doesnยดt fit all. If you can identify the thing that makes you sad, its usually a good sign because a known threat can be worked with, either with professional help or with support. But if you feel like that and donยดt know the cause, maybe its best to consult with a specialist. In doubt, dont be afraid to seek professional help, they are there to assist you
samsagaz
Depression is not just being sad, not eating at all or not sleeping well. There might be an intense sadness or something that is worrying you more than you would like to. To be sad more than the usual and unmotivated are signs of moderate depression. You can read more online here: https://www.helpguide.org/articles/depression/depression-symptoms-and-warning-signs.htm.
gracefulJoy29
You are sad and As well as moody... I guess u r alone and no 1 there for your attention so by that u r not able to sleep do t worru
Licomysterious
You are missing someone may be yourself. You have forgotten how you use to be. Or may be you are too emotional
beautifulGrace82
It might just be sadness. Do you know whether you struggle with โ€œwinter blahsโ€ or other seasonal depression? Did something bad happen very recently? Are you a young female whose hormones are maturing? If you can honestly answer yes to any of the above, those clues can help you uncover the why behind how you feel.
Anonymous
Definitely depressed. Why else would you feel so sad while everything seems to be going peachy in life? Its more than just sadness thats causing this...
Will22
It depends. Being depressed requires certain symptoms to happen over a period of time. Eating, sleeping, motivation, and feeling down are all aspects of depression and to be considered. Ultimately, more information is required to determine if one is depressed based on the information given.
Imgentlesoul
Do you know the specific reason why you are crying? Is it just a general feeling , or are there certain factors in your life that contribute to it, such as a divorce, loss of a loved one, losing a job, financial stress, etc. I think knowing that will help with the answer to this question. I hope you are having more happy days since writing that.
LimpyT
Speak to a doctor, something is likely to be underlining the reason for your current state of mind. Talking about it may help identify why its happening and will help promote a better quality of life.
Anonymous
Well, I cannot diagnose you with depression or anything else since I'm not a professional. And I'm not diagnosed with depression myself since I am too afraid to talk or be around people- but I can at least say I totally get what you're feeling. Depression is feeling low if we try to put it to words- but you must remember there can be good days along with the bad ones. Feeling unmotivated, having a lack of concentration, feeling like you have no energy to complete simple tasks are some of the symptoms of depression. If you are experiencing them, I suggest you see a professional in order to understand yourself better. But I understand that you may have worries- for example I get worried and feel bad sometimes because I have a good day. Am I faking? Am I mentally healthy, or am I doing this for attention. I just went out and had a good time- does that mean my depression isn't valid? I like to think have a decent relationship with my parents and they do not abuse me, I don't get bullied at school, and even though I have my concerns about how I look or what I eat, I still eat pretty decent- so what's with these depressive episodes? But when I think back with a healthier state of mind I can say that it's okay to have a good day. It's normal behavior to laugh about things and have fun with friends. If you really feel the need to get help, please do. Don't let the thought of "What if I'm just sad and don't need help" stop you from getting it. Everything is better when you have some nice little help- please be safe.