Is appetite loss common in depression?

Lisa Groesz, PhD

With evidenced based therapies, we find the root of the problem together to implement solutions. We all face crises, transitions, or disorders at some time.

Saltedbythesea
December 22nd, 2015 2:37am
Yes - very common. Try to eat at least an instant meal shake or bar during your rough times. These are easy, low effort ways to get at least the minimal nutrition you need. Also - be aware that if you are undernourished, it actually makes it easier for the depression to overpower you in your weakened state.
Anonymous
Loss of appetite is quite common in depression. Due to the loss of appetite the individual suffering from depression can grow weak or get into poor and faulty eating habits.
supportiveFish77
Yes. For some people it is. If you are facing severe weight loss, i suggest you seek help from a professional immediately.
beautifulFreedom65
yes, very. I didn't even care about eating and your body begins to notice. I don't know why it happens but its common in most cases. It's like eating is a blur and you'd rather not have your stomach full. Actually not eating cases you to become more depressed. It's like the depression is taking over your body and making you feel more miserable....interesing isn't it?
FadingJoy
Yes! Many suffer an increased or decreased appetite when suffering from depression or it's aftermath
Anonymous
It's common for people to lose interest about a lot of things, including eating. It's just part of the process
Anonymous
A lot of the time, yes, but it depends on the person. Some eat more food to deal with it while others stop eating.
PrincessDove13
Yes, it can be a very common thing to deal with when you are depressed. I know when I was, I lost my appetite quite a lot. For some, it may be the opposite and they might binge eat, even when they are not hungry.
Anonymous
Yes, because scientifically, you lose your rightful amount of neurotransmitters, which causes behavioral issues. But eating less is also common because when you lose interest in other subjects, you begin to start caring less about vital parts of your life, like eating. Losing your appetite is simply you feeling not up to doing something, which is part of the unbalanced neurotransmitter situation. To help this, antidepressants are a great way to go, along with counseling and self help, since you know yourself the best.
Anonymous
In my experience, it is a very common symptom. The depressed feel like they can't do anything and neglect to take care of themselves, often going for weeks on end without eating. I have personally experienced this, going for a whole week and losing 15 pounds due to my depression.It is not healthy at all, and yet, is still and huge problem facing anyone with depression. Recently, a coworker confided in me that their medicine for their depression caused them to lose almost 20 pounds from not eating. Sometimes, it's not the depression that causes not eating, but the medications that are taken to try and overcome depression.
mysteriousWillow50
Appetite loss, or increased appetite are both common in depression. However, not everyone will experience the changes...but it is one of many common symptoms.
Charysma0417
From my experience it can be... it differs from person to person and from situation to situation. The severity of the depression also seems to have an effect on it.
sadietricia
Yes! There have been days when I don't even feel like eating my favorite foods. It is a real thing!!
miraan3
August 2nd, 2018 1:18pm
Yes it is often a difficult side effect of depression. I struggle to try to eat every day to prevent further weight loss. I have read so many suggestions about eating when depressed but none of them help me. I am hoping that medication will help me soon.
Anonymous
Depends on the person. When I was in my darkest place with depression I was eating like crazy. I couldn't stop eating but there are people who cannot eat anything, barely a full meal a day when are depressed so...it all comes to what tipe of person you are. Depression like any other disease, has different takes on differend people. If I have an appetite and still be depressed, doesn't mean that the person next to me should be the same. So... it all comes down to what tipe of person you are, if you usually cannot eat when you are sad and stressed, definitely you won't have an appetite when depressed.
Kaiweena
Definitely. During my depressive episodes I didn't feel like getting up, moving, or doing anything. Eating was a constant struggle because I either ate too little or ate way too much in a little time. Over time I found foods that I'd enjoy anytime, no matter what I felt or how I felt. That way, when I did have another depressive episode, I had something to eat or snack on so I don't completely get drained of energy and get sick. I hope your journey gets better, don't forget, healing is a process! Find those food items that you love and try to eat a small amount periodically. You got this!