Why do I feel depressed even though I feel like my life has not been giving me much to be depressed about?

Lindsay Simon, LMFT

I work from a holistic perspective to help my clients heal from various mental, emotional, and relationship problems. My style is direct,honest, supportive, and nonjudgmental.

chloaw
I asked this question many times and never understood it. The thing about depression is that you do want to do all the things that make you happy but the things that made you happy don’t. You want to appreciate the little things; the new cute guy in your class, bubble baths and painting your nails, wearing an outfit for the first time, sleeping in newly washed sheets, going for Sunday brunches with your friends or getting a new hair cut but all these things don’t take away the pain. And it hurts so badly because it feels like all the happiness has been sucked out of the world and it won’t ever come back. So please don’t tell me that it’s enough to think positive to cure it. It is an illness.
Anonymous
Often times depression isn't just because of a tragic event, divorce, break-up, etc. Depression can simply be a chemical not being able to be balanced correctly in your system. It's hard to understand. Life is hard and a lot of challenges come our way.
compassionatePillow21
Well you have to remember that depression fiddles with your brain too! It might not be any factors on the outside causing it, but your brain itself! For example, I am very blessed. I have great parents, I go to a private school, and I don't have any problems in my life. Yet, I still have depression! Your brain just might not be producing enough happy chemicals or maybe your hippocampus is smaller than other people. Even though your life can be awesome, you can still get depression.
cherishedJet13
People can get depressed for no reason sometimes it's chemicals in the bottom. When they are out of balance it can cause mood changes and depression. Also, depression can be genetic too.
Harry53
It’s not unusual to feel depressed at times, even when life has not been giving you much to be depressed about. It’s really not what happens to you that causes you to feel depressed, it’s how you think about what happens to you. For example, let’s say that you sprained your ankle playing your favorite sport, tennis. If, as a result, you think something like “This is really awful. I love tennis and now I can’t play tennis for a month. I am going to be so bored and lonely” there’s a good chance that you will feel depressed. On the other hand, if you think something like “Well, it’s unfortunate that I sprained my ankle and that I won’t be able to play tennis for a while, but it’s certainly not the end of the world. I’ll have more time to participate in other activities that I enjoy” it’s unlikely that you will find yourself feeling depressed. So, if you feel depressed when there doesn’t seem to be any good reason to be feeling that way it’s a good idea to examine your thoughts and identify the ones which may be triggering your depression.
igetcha
Sometimes it's not about what you have but what you're missing. Your material life could be fine but you could still be lonely. It could also be old feelings popping up. They tend to crop up later, especially if you don't aknowledge and cope with them at the time.
Freebirdie
May 3rd, 2016 11:14am
Depression is a real disease and may not a reason why you're depressed. You can have everything wonderful about life and then too feel depressed. It's good to seek a professional who will be able to give you a deep insight to why you're feeling depressed and what thought process will help you out of it
RationalOak
A big misconception about depression is that there has to be a specific reason to be depressed. This is not the case at all, and often time the people who have the most to live for end end up having some form of depression.
Anonymous
You dont always need a reason to become depressed, it may be because of genetics. you do not always need to have a reason to become depressed.
StudentNurse
It may be due to the way you think. Negative or unhelpful thoughts can affect your mood. Another factor is not recognising your qualities and achievements. Refer to this website for more infomation which may help you: http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/depression.asp
LeonMcLion
You can have everything in the world and still feel unhappy and depressed. A nice car, great social life, complete family, proper education and meals, they are all nothing if you feel dead on the inside. You might feel that you're being ungrateful for being depressed despite having a good life but it is not really your fault, this really happens. It is important to acknowledge your true inner feelings and why you are feeling depressed like if there is something missing.
FromDrewWithLove
Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. While it can be strongly connected to things going on in your life, this isn't always the case. There are plenty of people who feel that they have "no reason" to be depressed, but depression doesn't discriminate. You can have depression regardless of current financial state, friendships, relationships, etc. Since depression is a mental disorder, and triggered by chemical imbalances, it sometimes happens that the chemicals become imbalanced without pressure from outside stimuli; more so just from typical brain functions. It may feel a bit strange, but it's actually quite common and quite normal.
GreyStar751
Sometimes feeling depressed isn't about things that are going on - sometimes it just comes upon you for seemingly no reason, or because you're entering into puberty and that's changed your brain chemistry a little which could also be causing your depressed feeling. However none of this means that the way you are feeling isn't important - everybody's emotions matter, even if it seems like there's no reason for them to be the way that they are. If you ever need any support please feel free to message me or one of the other wonderful listeners on 7 cups. Love, Kit x
hannathehero
Depression can sometimes be chemical. Your life could be wonderful, but you could feel lonely and unfulfilled and sad, even though you know you shouldn't be! It is completely normal. If you want help, I would suggest reaching out to a trusted adult and telling them how you feel because you are not wrong! You can live an amazing life and still be sad! It can be a caused by chemicals, traumatic experiences, environmental factors or even your genes! Don't feel alone or wondering why depression is present, it's not in your head. It's a real thing, and it's serious!
Anonymous
I feel like that too sometimes. It just seems to happen. Maybe try listening to your favourite music, go bike riding or something that you enjoy :)
TheLizzyMonster
Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain causing your brain to interpret events, emotions and thoughts differently. It is not necessarily caused by life events. In this case, talk therapy may not be useful and I would suggest professional help to determine the best way to help you. That doesn't mean you can speak with us or share your story because I think it is important that people realize that you can be perfectly happy in your life and still be depressed.
MishAJ
I used to get depressed a lot, despite the fact that I had a loving family, supportive friends, a well paid job, mostly every luxury. But I was always under depression, especially in the mornings when I would get anxiety attacks. The issue was that I had a boyfriend who was bipolar and clinically depressed and would rub off the negative energy on me which made me sulk. I tried helping him in every way possible and later I had to space myself out with positive people to get out of depression. You necessarily do not have to have a rough life to be depressed, its the weak will power and pessimism that makes you depressed !
bestTruth96
Depression is a chemical imbalance of the brain. A of people feel like their depression is some how their fault (I have nothing to be depressed about), but the true is having depression is not your fault.
Anonymous
Feelings aren't rational, if you feel something there doesn't always have to be an explanation for it. It's always many little things that lead to depressed feelings.
AmmiZL
Although depression is triggered by environmental stressors, depression is much more than just a situation. So many factors tie into feeling depressed that even people living an ideal life can have depression. Depression affects people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, religions, classes, and lifestyles. Please remember, even if there seems to be nothing depressing about your life, your depression is real and you deserve the help you need.
Camamam
You don't need to have any type of reason to feel depressed. Its an illness that often comes and goes. People don't have to have a reason to get cancer etc
Anonymous
Depression is a chemical and hormonal imbalance in the brain. It can be caused or triggered by event(s) in ones life, but not necessarily. Depression is different for everyone, so don't assume that your feelings are invalid because you don't conform to a certain standard set by society on what depression may or may not be.
lovelyCandy8
Maybe you're going through something that is giving you stress and wanting to solving it plus not knowing how makes you feel depressed.
Samalyn
Depression is also biological. It may be something you have do to the balance of chemicals in your brain. It is nothing to be ashamed of and something that can be treated through therapy or medication.
Anonymous
Depression does that sadly. It makes you feel down even if there isnt a reason to be. Just surround yourself with happy people and things and remind yourself that things are okay. (:
IntuitiveDrops
That´s because depression is about feeling, not so much about logic or reason. Our feelings have their inner reality and reason. Instead of trying to measure yourself by logic and objective reason, try to understand yourself and try to guess why that depression would make sense from your inner reality. That is most likely the key.
Anonymous
because of mood swings, if you feel depressed when there doesn’t seem to be any good reason to be feeling that way it’s a good idea to examine your thoughts and identify the ones which may be occur depression.
Anonymous
Depression has different causes for different people, and many feel guilty for being depressed, especially when they see other people who have 'more reason' to be depressed.
Anonymous
I think an idle mind is a devils playground. I also believe many celebrities have depression due to over exposure and mass manipulation.
Anonymous
Because sometimes not everyone can see what is really there, so they become depressed. All you have to do is look at what is there and take off the chipped paint to see the true color of the beautifully colored room you're really in.