Why do I wake up feeling sad sometimes?

Tracy-Kate Teleke, M.A., LMFT

I assist adults and couples in CA experiencing relationship challenges and interpersonal struggles including anxiety, depression, and a myriad of other life challenges.

BetterHalf
it usually happens if you had a bad dream, you slept in a uncomfortable place or if somehow you didn't had enough sleep.
onedirection1213
Maybe its because of your thoughts, or something sad that you think about in your life. or a bad dream, it can be any reason.
Anonymous
Depression can effect how you sleep and with sleep can bring forth many thoughts. In a way, sleep is a "distraction" because your mind shuts down for the day but the thoughts still exist in your subconscious.
AubriePevensie
That's because we all have good days and bad days. On the better days we wake up feeling refreshed, however it's not the case for every day. Sometimes we wake up and we just don't feel it and it's okay to feel that way. Just don't forget to really wake up and do things that might turn the day around.
Anonymous
Sometimes it can depend on your sleep hours or what you ate or did before going to sleep? Maybe take a look at your sleep routine? sometimes oversleeping or watching something unusual can cause one to wake up unhappy. Also, try to remember if you had any dreams, that could also be another precipitating factor.
Anonymous
It can be because you are worried about something ( that happened or anxious that it will happen) . You can try starting your day by saying " you are the best" and whatever that'll make you feel energized
iGetiT
This is only one of many reasons a person may wake up sad. When we first awake, things aren't always set in stone or planned out for us. Even if they are, it can become taxing and repetitive. This can cause a sad feeling or frustration.
Anonymous
You could wake up sad because of a dream, an experience that has happened recently or just your general thoughts. Talk to someone who will listen, like us on 7 cups.
sweetDreamer
for a mixture of reasons, the human body is weird. it could just be hormones or it could be something more serious, keep checking up on yourself! x
Anonymous
It could just be the weather that day! Before you go to bed try to watch your favorite movie or read your favorite work. If you are religious, praying is a great feeling. Open up a window, so when you wake up you see outdoors! Always try to get pleanty of sleep and drink water.
Anonymous
Because you may have depression or just having a off day. Things like this happen and it's completely normal
happySnow73
You may not remember having a sad or bad dream and your body is just reacting to it. also you may have had a bad day yesterday, and your body is not done feeling those emotions.
Anonymous
December 2nd, 2016 6:48pm
I think we have all swings in our mood. If it happens more regularly and you feel worried you should talk to someone about it.
Hope
If you feel sad without any reason and this is a reoccurring thing then it might be a sign of depression. Only a professional like a therapist can be sure of the reason. You can try doing some activities that might help improve your mood such as meditation. You can give calm.com a chance.
OliviaTheSoothingComforter
You can wake up feeling sad sometimes for different reasons, maybe your having a hard time in your life right now, maybe you are depressed and maybe you plain want to give up on it all. But no matter what it is just pick yourself up and think "Todays going to be different". Reach out to friends, believe in yourself and reach out to friends and family.
DavidT85
I think we are naturally predisposed to feel sad and unsatisfied, much more than the opposite, often even when everything seems "fine" with our lives. Which is why we need to learn how to change our natural predisposition in order to gain a fuller and deeper happiness coming from our inner world
Anonymous
I sometimes feel sad as a result of being depressed the other night . Or sometimes because I feel like I didn't get the fill use of yesterday or if there was something I did and could've done better . But yesterday is gone and we cant change it so lets just think of today
Proactiveandre
Everyone feels sad on occasion. Sometimes there's just no reason. Sometimes you had a bad dream you can't remember. The biggest thing is how much this sadness effects you. If this is just something that you're okay with, and just wondering about, you're probably okay. If this is something that's really bothering you, try talking to a therapist or doctor.
Heather83
Sometimes, if you have a dream where something happened that upset you, you can wake up feeling down Or, at least that's what's happened to me. I've woken up feeling down. Then, I'll remember a dream I had, where I was upset. After I remember having that dream, I feel better.
ElephantTiger1
Sometimes there isn't really an obvious reason to why we feel sad, whether or not something bad is going on in your life or there was a trigger to make you feel this way, what you dream about may also be a factor to you waking up being sad; for example if you dream about something bad happening you may even cry in your sleep and that could be the reason behind you waking up feeling sad.
PeacefulFruit
Sometimes the mind just needs to be sad for a while, its like a cleansing of the mind, it is just using up the sadness that has built up over time. It is a totally natural process, it is quite nice to just let yourself be sad, being kind to yourself and letting your mind be sad. Soon it goes away and you can go back to normal.
Anonymous
Because feeling sad is a part of being alive. We wouldn't know what happinnes is when we don't know what feeling down and sad is.
Anonymous
Sometimes we can wake up feeling sad because of a bad dream or a bad event that has happened to us in the past. It's easy to dwell in sadness, however, it's harder to seek the will to get better, but remember that the longest journey starts with the first step.
Kevan
When you wake up, you realize that you are back to all the worries and stress and nothing has changed. Sometimes our worst flashbacks come back to us during mornings and make us feel down throughout the day. And it might also be due to any sorrowful dream u just experienced during your sleep.
Anonymous
just pray everyday and when you going to sleep please forget your problem remember sleeping is the best way to cure what you feeling (temporarily) so you should sleep and wake up happy feel the ground again fight on your life
bazinga22
Maybe you are in depression. Or you are constantly thinking about the same thing. It can happen with anyone. So don't worry. And dont overthink on any topic. Remain happy and stay strong
SteadfastStatue
February 1st, 2018 9:32pm
It sounds like you aren't sure why your day begins with feelings of sadness. In that case, I am curious what you went to sleep feeling like? I know way back when I worked in jobs that required a lot of answering to regimens and I had little to no time to myself, oft times, I would wake up feeling like moving wasn't an option, that feeling sad was something to be expected..it was really not getting any easier with each passing day. Waking up and feeling sad sometimes is okay. It is okay to feel sad sometimes. There are times and places to be sad, and sometimes, it is a maze upon maze to figure out why. There are many external reasons for why one may wake up sad. I wonder how you would feel opening up to someone in real life to determine external and or internal factors as to why you may be waking up feeling sad sometimes. I hope this helps. This is what has worked for me when I sometimes wake up feeling a little lost for words about my mood.
A1b1c2d2
March 23rd, 2018 1:02pm
Sometimes you just have bad nights. It could have to do with how you slept, your dreams, or something that happened before you went to bed. If this is a consistent problem then it is recommended that you talk to a professional about the issue.
ImyourHope127
Maybe of what you dreams or how you felt but you don't know what is it and how to express it. Sometimes it's maybe you're lonely or feeling down. Anxiety can make you sad but every problems has it ways to solve.
departedspirits1
Waking up sad is.. in a simple way we can put it like this. the ultimate achievement of a human being is to make their life better, so we strive for happiness in our lifes, most of the times we get a lot of opposition and we do fail or break during those big battles we have in our lifes, so Faith in oneself plays a big role.. and positivity is a key factor, but I know that its easier said than done. Of course, this is just a small part of the many other psychological issues out there.