What age is too young to leave home?

Lisa Meighan, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

CedarSapling99
I think that the right age to leave home is all up to subjective experience. It's up to the individual to evaluate where they are in terms of their maturity level and decide for themselves as to whether they are ready to live on their own or not. It also depends on their current living situation. Some family homes are volatile and toxic spaces. If one's space inhibits their growth and ability to feel secure more than it enables their happiness, then it may be time for them to leave. Each individual must know themselves and their situation in order to make an informed decision in the end.
Anonymous
I believe when you're above 16 you are technically able to work and you should be able to leave home so anything under is too young. I believe if you have an idea of where you want to go out of life and if you have a career plan and an apartment you're planning on going to then you should be able to. But if you don't have a job and you are failing high school then you really should not be planning on running away. Because if you can't support yourself on your own then wait a while until you can.
Anonymous
I do not think that there is a set answer for this question, or a specific age that should allow for a child to stay home by themselves. You should never leave an infant toddler, or preschooler home alone, but once they get into mid to late elementary, it depends on their responsibility level and the knowledge they have. For example, do they know not to turn kitchen appliances on, do they know how to call 911, etc. If they have this responsibility, it is probably okay to leave a mid-late elementary schooler home alone for only a little bit.