How do I stop thinking about death?

How do I stop thinking about death?

Veronica Wade-Hampton, LPC

I enjoy working with individuals of all capacities as I view the role of therapist as one in which you help the client learn to cope with the pressures of daily life.

Jordynx
Try to preoccupy yourself with different hobbies to keep you busy. Maybe pick up a new sport, or an instrument. Anything to distract yourself from those negative thoughts and feelings.
CaringMike
Although many of live in societies where people not like talk about death, it is quite normal to think about death. If we lose a loved one we can be reminded that we too will have to face death one day. It can help put our life into perspective. However thinking about death all the time can be a problem. Perhaps we have a fear of death or the time leading up to it, that it will involve pain and suffering. Obsession with death can lead to depression and distract us from live full healthy lives. One way to avoid constant thinking about death is to use it as a reminder that we are finite and never know how we have left. This can motivate us to live fully in the present and take nothing for granted.
Anonymous
Start thinking about right now, focus on the present rather than the future, make the most of your time right now, fall in love with being alive
Anonymous
Death is the inevitable thing and the ultimate destination of all of us.whatever happens everyone born on earth will have to die one day.life is just a journey from birth to death.but for different people the duration and qualities wary.this journey is unprecedented no one can guess how long we will live but when you live leave all fears and be peacefull and spread happiness.make a mark of your own..so that your life will be remembered by few.stop worrying and chill.death is there and it will come.let us face it as it comes and nit before it.after all great lives need not be long and long lives need not be great.
delicateZebra
Try to focus on now, Focus on what you have and what makes you happy, The more you focus on being happy the more your thoughts of death should leave you
SuperSandi
I get in that mode every so often and it's hard for me to get out of it and I really really hate that feeling. What I found that helped me is going out and doing things that I like to do and having fun. Eventually I realized that I have stopped thinking about that and feel a lot better.
Positivityiskeyalways
August 3rd, 2018 1:43am
Death is obviously inevitable. You just have to come to terms that we all are going to experience death and live everyday to it’s fullest.
overtherainbow17
I'm sorry that's a topic on your mind right now-- That sounds stressful. I'm glad you've asked this question, though. It seems like you want to change something. So first off, after years of pondering what death would be like, it came time for me to change my mindset. I was not tired of life, I was tired about thinking of death. There's no immediate fix to things like this; It's much more on how you perceive things and changing your mindset. One way, one method I use is a DBT (Dialectical Behavioural Therapy) skill called "Opposite Emotion". This is basically you catch yourself having a negative or unrealistic thought. You change your thought to the opposite thing. It can also help some people with managing their emotions. Say, I'm having thoughts of yelling at someone who cut in my lane during driving. Instead, focus on something other than that. Think of the scenery, think of art, but try to shift your focus off the topic of whatever is troubling you. It doesn't work for everyone, or it might take time to work. There's no magic. It's a long process in retraining your brain to think different.
Anonymous
If an idea has a strong emotional tie, such as fascination or horror, it can become very compelling. On of the best ways to re-train the mind to turn away from a thought and attend to another idea, comes from Mindfulness Training. In this system of personal development, a person deliberately sets out to change the way Thoughts (and feelings) are dealt with. Meditation is considered to be the fundamental building block for Mindfulness training, for good reason: it works. However, not everyone find that to be available to them. So people have developed CBT, or Cognitve Behavioral Training. This is, essentially, learning to watch one's thoughts and change the way they are expressed, evaluated, and responded to, which in turn can allow for the replacement of a distressing thought with one of more neutral, or even helpful value. There is another kind of personal growth training, called DTB (Dialectical Behavioral Training) which adds Mindfulness, Cognitive Retraining and Social Retraining. These three together can be a very powerful tool for change. My personal favorite is the Recipe for Change that i was taught, in 4 steps: 1) DECIDE to change; 2) decide WHAT to change; 3) CHANGE as much as you can, whenever you can; and 4) PRAISE yourself for every bit of change you accomplish! This last step is very important, as it allows the mind to clearly understand what is desired of it. Most of us do not get enough Self Praise, and a little bit can have a lasting effect.
HappyPlaceRoomba
Through the patient practice of cultivating new life, one can stymie almost any thought. Be it a rescue, a child, or even some plants. Life demands out thoughts and attention, even though the ever present nature of death is inescapable. Against this omnipresent necessity we are kin and the camaraderie is comforting.
Anonymous
You should start thinking about brighter parts of life. I personally like to think about the good stuff and work on my dreams. I really want to visit amazing places and that keeps the thrill of being alive. Thinking in a good way seldom makes you worry about death :)
Anonymous
When you start thinking about your life, and all the things you can do and try. Life is all about experiences, so go and get some! We were not born to die, at least not today.
Prill
Try and get your mind off of that, and focus on other things. Being focused on something, can lead it getting stuck in your mind, and that's what I believe is happening right now. It happens to me a lot, and be quite annoying or sometimes even saddening, but if you can find something that appeals to your interests, and have a good time doing, it should spare you those bad thoughts! I wish you the best of luck!
Anonymous
Try to think about all of the good things in your life, Think about the people you are grateful to have in your life, Think about the things that you are grateful to have in your life. Think about all of the friends and family even your significant other and how upset they would be to lose you. Knowing that people love you and care about you makes life more living, As well as just being grateful for everything and everyone that you have in your life. Sometimes I think about death as well but I think about the ones I love who are there for me and love me more then anything, and the life that I'm grateful to be living with these wonderful people. It's about finding what your grateful for.
thoughtfulDreamer
Think about your loved ones. Are you going to allow your selfishness to make them suffer while you're gone?
CopperSkies
Maybe you should try to occupy your thoughts with something other than death. There are many distraction techniques out there which you could find very beneficial. For example closing your eyes and thinking of something more positive or even just listening to music.
miraculousPeace62
You can stop thinking about death by talking to the people who you love (only if they love you too).
BrilliantSanity74
It is both natural and scary to think about death. Becoming familiar with the fear and working on an acceptance of death can be a good way to reduce the anxiety of thinking about death.
SilentSerenityy
You need to ask yourself why you're thinking about death so much. Find out the cause and it can help to preventing those thoughts; it's the first step.
Anonymous
Think about life. Remember to appreciate all the things you have and the life you have. It's also good to occupy yourself with friends and family.
SaraSya
Love your life. And live the way you want to because at the end, everybody will face their own death.
TeenWolf
You need to find hobbies such as camping,fishing,hiking,hunting. It could be anything maybe even hanging out with friends
Anonymous
June 2nd, 2016 2:36am
Life is about building connections. Every move we make affects other people. Know that you are important
RedPandaz
Thinking about death is not inherently a bad thing. Many of us sooner or later will reach a point where we reflect on how fragile we are and the unknown. If you find that these thoughts become unhealthy and start trending towards somewhere unhealthy, it would be best to talk to reach out to someone so they can help talk you through those feelings.
Anonymous
maybe by thinking about death. see everyone of us has one such wild dream planned for life like i want to do bungee jumping at Royal Gorge Bridge, Colorado, United States, the highest bungee jump of the world so just think of what is yours and then just pledge to die only after doing and then just plan for it i know it wont be easy and that is why its a wild dream. so do whatever it takes to complete the mission.
Anonymous
By thinking about it twice as much to cover the whole subject. Once there is so few left to think about it, you won't think about it as much or the process will be much quicker.
Anonymous
Thinking about death and mortality is a very common thought and fear with people. Sometimes it is easy to become fixated on it and worry about what may happen, when 'your time' will be, what it is like in the afterlife (should you believe in one). Everyone handles the thought differently; sometimes people think that it is unavoidable, so make the most out of today while you can. Others just stop thinking about it. Often times one of the biggest hurdles to overcome is the thought of being human, being vulnerable, and being mortal. While it sounds cliché/undersupportive, the thought sometimes helps others wonder why they are thinking about death. If you are fixated on the thought of death or are worried about death and dying, speak with someone at 7 Cups or a mental health care provider.
Gladdy
I find what is most helpful to stop thinking about death, is telling yourself in your head, I really felt like dying right now, but not verbalising out in words. As you said that, move on forward with doing things that adds value to your life. The thoughts will always be there, but it's ok to feel like dying, maybe we aren't taught to think about living? :P
Maricellac
Think about life. You get one of each. One you can somewhat control and enjoy... and one is simply inevitable.
Silvumination
Up until just a little while ago, I used to be rather morbid. The theme of death seemed to surface often in my thoughts, conversations, and creative outlets. Everybody is different, but one of the things that helped me was just doing my best to surround myself with positive things. While I still do express my negative emotions, I don't encourage and embrace excessively death-oriented behavior. That translated more specifically as myself trying to limit the morbid side to my humor, artwork, and writing and also not reading, watching, or listening to really angry or depressing music. That might sound like I'm just shutting out my morbid side, but I think instead by doing so I'm able to focus on the more positive things in life :) .