What are the main symptoms of panic attacks?

Amelia Winsby, PsyD

I often work with clients who experience a wide range of emotions and difficulties. I am non-judgmental and enjoy working with individuals from all walks of life.

MusicGal
For me, I get a really speedy heart. I often vomit, or black out. My chest also gets all rashy. I often will say and do some stupid things, well anxiety does that. The blood at the front of your brain gets pushed away, and all your smarts are at the front of your brain, so when your in panic, and you say and do not smart things, you don't have the blood flow to the front of your brain #FunFact
Anonymous
Sweaty palms, sickness, feeling like something bad is going to happen. Like you have done something wrong or hurtful.
Anonymous
June 22nd, 2017 12:43am
Difficulty breathing. Pounding heart or chest pain. Intense feeling of dread. Shortness of breath. Sensation of choking or smothering. Dizziness or feeling faint. Trembling or shaking. Sweating.
MistyMagic
t the feeling they can bring is really frightening. The words 'panic attack' almost sound like they belittling what happens, but they are just words. The main symptoms that I have experienced are a racing or faster heartbeat or a heartbeat that feels like my heart is going to jump out of my chest. My vision goes blurry or fuzzy, I can't swallow properly and my tongue suddenly feels too big for my mouth. I cannot function I feel terrified and panicked all in one. Once I realise what is happening I try to control my breathing and think of all my training. But sometimes the only way is to get out of the situation rather than cope with it. So look for help, move away, tell someone. An attack can feel like a heart atttack is happening, but if you can get reassurance that you will be ok then that will really help things to pass.
Dylan999
November 1st, 2014 8:35am
Rapid heart rate, shallow breathing, sometimes feelings of heat or cold, numbness or tingling, nausea. You might feel like you're having a heart attack or dying but a panic attack won't physically harm you.
Dresden
Panic attacks manifest differently for everyone. For me, panic attacks make my chest feel tight, and make my stomach really upset.
Anonymous
People who experience panic attacks often struggle breathing, and feel a sensation of great fear for no specific reason, both of these aspects causing them to tremble.
StormWilliams
Panic attacks can be noticed by a rapid heartbeat, sweating, shaking, and a feeling of impending doom/terror.
Scaredtopieces
I feel like I have to get up and get away from it.. whatever 'it' is at the time. My heart racing is usually the first symptom. Like from 85 to 120 in a matter of seconds..from there it's shaking hands, cold or hot flashes, feeling like I'm gonna have a heart attack and die. Intense fear of this.. I check my pulse alot, the higher it is the higher it goes.. And my attacks just come out of the blue usually..no real fear trigger ..at least nothing rational.
Livvy14
Feeling like you cant breathe, sweaty palms, sweating, racing thoughts, feeling like there's a bump in your throat
Gracey
There are many symptoms of panic attacks, these are some of the main ones; raised levels of anxiety, shaking, sweating, chest pain, rapid breathing, heart palpitations
branka88
Shortness of breath or hyperventilation. Heart palpitations or a racing heart. Chest pain or discomfort. Trembling or shaking. Choking feeling. Feeling unreal or detached from your surroundings. Sweating. Nausea or upset stomach.
gentlePrince55
Panicking. There is no way to tell what you may feel under a panic attack, it's very person depended. But some key symptoms could be: increased heart-rate, faster breathing, shaking, hard time concentrating, feeling ill and so on.
Caringmemory98
Hypersensitivity, feeling of breathlessness, fast heart beat, shivering, feeling of helplessness and utmost fear
JessicaThinksYouAreAwesome
Shortness of breath or hyperventilation. Heart palpitations or a racing heart. Chest pain or discomfort. Trembling or shaking. Choking feeling. Feeling unreal or detached from your surroundings. Sweating. Nausea or upset stomach. Feeling dizzy, light-headed, or faint Numbness or tingling sensations Hot or cold flashes Fear of dying, losing control, or going crazy.
Anonymous
Racing heart, chest pain/discomfort, sweating, trembling/shaking, shortness of breath, feeling dizzy or lightheaded, chills or hot flash, numbness or tingling, etc.
Anonymous
Personally I struggled with panic attacks on a daily basis for many months during a very rough time in my life. It would start with the butterflies in my stomach associated with a nervous/ overwhelming feeling, then it would begin to effect me physically. My hands would shake, I'd begin to cry and hyperventilate. Then the worst happens, the feeling like it can't get any worse as if you are dying and the whole world is spinning around you.
Anonymous
Shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, feeling dizzy/nauseous, tingling hands or feet, chest pain, feeling like you are out of control.
Anonymous
I start to feel my heart race and then I begin to shake uncontrollably and I feel like I’m about to cry?
aeris156
panic attacks present themselves differently in different people (we're all different, after all), but these are some of the more common symptoms of a panic attack: a "racing" heart, feeling weak, faint, or dizzy, tingling or numbness in your hands and fingers, a sense of terror, or feeling like you're about to die, feeling sweaty or having chills, chest pains (a lot of people having a panic attack feel like they are having a heart attack, myself included), having trouble breathing, and feeling a loss of control or feeling distant from one's surroundings. not everybody has all of these symptoms when having a panic attack, but these are some of the more common ones.
Artemis6
The main symptoms are usually difficulty in breathing, dizziness, loss of balance and loss of feel in the body which could be describe as the pins and needles feeling.
TellMeAboutIt
usually something like your heart starts to race and then u want to vomit or maybe even u shake and blackout it all depends about how much of a panic u are in
sheIby
The main symptoms are dizziness, sweating, chest pain, fear, nausea, palpitations, shaking/trembling, trouble breathing, etc.
Aviendha
They can vary from the most common symptoms- hyperventilation, racing thoughts, twitching, chest tightening, to less common symptoms like racing speech, anger or irritability.
Sky0
These are my symptoms: hyperventilation racing heart shaking feeling like I'm in a dream feeling like something terrible is about to happen
Difficulty breathing, loss of breath, dizziness, choking, crying, panicking, fainting and even at times vomiting.
cscooldod2g
Feeling like you can't breathe, hot/cold flashes, fear of losing control, sweaty hands, noises around you are heightened, tunnel vision, wanting to get out of the situation you are in etc
pizzadonald1
A few of the main symptoms, from my personal experience are; -Sweating -Heart racing -Shaking -Crying
Kiki2145
Feeling like you can't breathe, almost like you're choking, and shaking is a thing I do. Usually mine lead to crying, but not always. Sometimes I just feel intense fear. Everyone is different too, so your main symptoms might not match up with someone else's!
PracticalMaple
shaking, your heart may start beating quite fast, struggling to breathe and hyperfentilate, sweating, nausea, feeling detatched from your surroundings