How to get rid of self harm scars?

How to get rid of self harm scars?
★ This question about Self-Harm was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Linda Miland, MA

I have a passion to help individuals address and challenge thoughts ,feelings and lifestyle factors that are contributing to mental health issues.

beautiful5oul
The best cure is time. Scars will get better over time, and maintaining care for them through ointment and bandages. If you feel uncomfortable with anyone seeing your scars while they are healing cover them with bandages.
Anonymous
First of all, congratulations for having enough courage to stop. Second, sometimes you can't really get rid of the scars. But learn to appreciate how far you came instead =)
UniqueLife
If it's not too big or deep, it'll usually heal over time. But if it turns out to be a keloid, then you'll probably have to laser it
Anonymous
Those scars at first can be a painful reminder, but eventually they become something that show what you survived, that showed your strength. Do not be ashamed. However if you want them gone, depending on the severity, you can have gorgeous tattoo covers, and you can get good creams for scars, or go speak to your doctor. There is a different solution for everyone, I hope you find the right one for you
ImmaMonster
I am an addicted self-harmer and I find it very hard, especially when there is high scar tissue on obvious parts of your body. I wear sleeves majority of the time and long pants but you obviously can't do that every day for the rest of you life can you? When I'm not wearing sleeves I often wear make up, water proof spray tan (if I'm going in water) and for the places with high scar tissue Ii sometimes use liquid layex. It's just like another skin and its clear. It's also extremely easy to apply. The only negative is that it can be quite expensive. Nowadays I tend to not actually bother with any of this though because it takes a lot of time and effort to do it. Also I found that I was constantly stressing over if they were properly covered. It's not like Ii didn't do a good job or anything it's just that Ii was constantly paranoid about it. So i told my family and closest friends, and now I don't really worry about it too much, and it's not like I advertise it. Also I'm not saying that I don't get the sideway looks or the constant questions but I do feel better about not having to hide that part of myself anymore, and I think it has made me stronger.
Anonymous
there is no real way to get rid of them besides time. you can buy all the creams and pills in the world but the best thing out there is just time & patience. one day your scars will fade but they'll never leave.
bigjumpersbighearts
lemon juice bleaches them if they're dark n i've also found that pure coconut oil works wonders! i'm not sure why it works, but mine are hardly noticeable now, so maybe that's something y'all would want to try x but also, unless you feel they have to vanish, don't be ashamed of them, they show that you fought your way through a bad time in your life
peacefulMusic4
Like others have mentioned bio oil can help reduce the appearance of scars. Another option (although it is very expensive) is the creme de le mer (I'm sure that's what it's called). Apparent,y it was designed by a man to help reduce his wife's scars - I don't know what type of scars but there you go!
AlanTheKeeper018
Cover it up with a nice tattoo or go to a plastic surgeon, there's not much you can do. If you feel ashamed of it just lie about what happened and say it was an accident. A white lie is nothing to be guilty about or you could just be honest. After all, you are who are in this life and what's done is done. Regrets can be a bummer but only if you let them be that. I've done the same to myself several times and I understand, it can be embarrassing to share with others but you shouldn't be too hard on yourself regardless of what the other person's reaction is.
Anonymous
You can talk to someone you trust about them, it'll help more than you think. However if you have no one you trust, you can also call a hotline.
Anonymous
I recommend applying and massaging the area with extra virgin olive oil along with a snail extract cream. They're efficient if used over a longer period of time. You could also contact a dermatologist about this as they will give you proper medical advice.
katelyn12
you can fade self harm scars over time, by using bio oil on the Healed scars. make sure that it is not a fresh cut. It won't help. Hope this helped
Anonymous
Unfortunately scars do not heal. However, they can be a pain or a memory left on one's body to remind that individual of a harmful event. They best way to get rid of self-harm scars, is to not look at them, ignore them, and think about the good things about your body or yourself.
Anonymous
Put coco butter on them it will help clear them up. Good luck
CastielsAngel305
Try a lotion containing vitamin E. Coconut oil is also good. Though be prepared, if the scars are deep they may not go away. I hope everything is alright and that you have stopped self harming.
MissLilith
There is no guaranteed way that I know of personally, however most people I know choose to instead get them covered over with a tattoo, or a small phrase that means something placed by the scars.
ItsOkayNotToBeOkay1
Well I have over 400 self harm scars, from Burns to cuts. I use scar gel, tea tree oil, African black soap, and shae butter. Most of them have faded quite a bit. And I've also covered some with tattoos. I hope this helps c:
forgivenessandlove
For temporary fixes I suggest makeup to blend that area of the skin or bracelets and fun accessories to simply cover it! Another really cool idea for a longer term solution is a tattoo! Beautiful body art to cover the scars, or simply to beautify the area, is not only awesome but can be motivating and inspiration to yourself and others. If you aren't up for a permanent tattoo, temporary tattoo's or something like henna could work as well!
Anonymous
You can't just get rid of scars. They will always be there reminding you what made you harm yourself.
easyapproach1234
You may never get rid pf them completley, but there are things that can help to reduce visibility of them, such ad laser removal and products which can be bought in pharmacies such as bio oil.
AtlasSparks
Well depending on what state they are in a layer of foundation/powder would work or a bit more clothing. Unfortunately if you're talking cosmetic it has been a year and mine are still visible, and when you touch the place you put them the space is left behind.
writingloveaddy
This is a really tough question. Scars aren't that easy to rid oneself of sadly. There are creams people have come up with but my point of view is that you can't and to accept them. It's a battle wound and you won.
AngleTYBarakatx
self harm scars can not be rid off, they are scars and will stay with you until they fade naturally,
heyitsvictoria
While there are some creams that help lighten the marks, there is no way to get rid of self harm scars (depending on how severe they are), and while they can sometimes be triggering, it helps to see them as battle scars. They are a reminder that you are strong and you fought and won against the negativity in life. It's hard, but try to embrace your scars and part of your past.
Gretellax
I've read a post once. The girl dealt her self harm issues by using pens rather than blades. The results were awesome. Her legs were drawn with patterns
Anonymous
To get rid of self harm scars I personally used a combination of lemon juice and vitamin E oil. If I had little scars that were just darker than my skin I would use the lemon juice to naturally bleach it a little bit, but if I had bigger scars that were caused by deeper cuts I would apply vitamin E oil to it every night before I went to sleep and the scars would gradually start to go away.
alliecat1901
Well first you should start by not doing self harm, and your just going to have to wait for them to heal on their own.
Anonymous
Bio Oil, Aloe Vera, Put the cut near a flame and it will close up faster, bandage, regularly treat or clean wounds. Or if all else fails - tattoo it over
Anonymous
coconut oil is great for getting rid of scars. it helps and your scars will fade very quickly. byee.
theknight1
يمكنني التغلب على كل المشاكل النفسية , بأستخدام التفكير المنطقي , وجعل الهدف في الحياة ليس العيش فقط , و إنما اكثر من ذلك ..