How to get rid of self harm scars?

How to get rid of self harm scars?
★ This question about Self-Harm was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Meredith Seltzer, LPC

The therapeutic relationship can assist you in accomplishing your goals and clarifying your wants and needs. As a skilled counselor and therapist I will help you along the way

LauraMSW87
I think it's important to consider why you want to get rid of self-harm scars. The reasons are as varied as the individual circumstances that bring people to self-harm in the first place. As far as I know, the options for scar removal/fading are as follows: products containing vitamin E, coco butter lotion, scar removal creams, scar removal sheets that lay directly on the skin, and laser removal. It would be a good idea to consult a doctor to find out what the best option for you might be as the treatments vary in success depending on type and severity of scar.
Bella26
Bio oil or tissue oil really helps, but you have to stick at it. Rub it in every day and don't expect to see results straight away. But if you give it time, it really does help.
Anonymous
Bio Oil or Mederma both work really well. Bio Oil is more oily and Mederma is more of a cream, but both work. It really just depends on what you like better. Good luck! :)
kirsteng123
Self harm scars are tricky to get rid of and hide so it's much easier not to self harm at all. Now I know hard to do sometimes because life gets tough and i've learned some tricks throughout the years. Mederma helps a lot with new scars, though it is expensive. Also for scars that aren't too deep, going out in the sun and tanning makes them harder to see. You can also go on pinterest or something and look for home remedies that may help! Good luck!
llamasandalpacas
Try bio-oil, its specially meant for healing scars, ive used it many times and it works wonders
FutureSocialWorker
Bio Oil or Mederma works really well. For a long time I wanted rid of my scars, and was embarrassed, but overtime I have learned that they are a part of me. I have learned to love them, they are part of my story of survival.
Anonymous
You can't. Let them remind you of how far you've come, and that you are always a work in progress. :)
Anonymous
They go away over time I self harm before so I know how it is. Patience and trying not to do anymore harm
LynetteSky
Make sure to exfoliate your skin regularly; if self harm is inevitable for you, do make sure to take the proper care and disinfect any open cuts or burns. Once a scar forms, exfoliation and moisturising are vital in reducing self harm scars. Take care!
peacelovemusic03
I use aloe Vera after sun gel- works very well. Other methods could be something like Mederma scar cream, baby lotion or lotion with aloe or Shea butter.
Anonymous
Hi! I've recently faced the same problem and I did some research on that. I found out that you can buy some special creams to conceal the scars and make them smoother in the long term. You can also have a laser operation to remove your scars permanently, although it costs much more. Hope it helps! Good luck!
Anonymous
They have cocoa butter lotion and that gets rid of most scars over a certain period of time as long as you apply daily.
Dee95
I used to just wear lots of bracelets but the truth is I wouldn't know how to get rid of them.. I plan on getting a tattoo to cover them tho!
NetworkedNine
Sadly, scars are tough to get rid of. However, cocoa butter cream can help reduce the appearance of self-harm scars as well as other things like stretch marks. You can also (lightly) apply green/blue eyeshadow/makeup along not fully healed scars, or darker-than-normal foundation over healed scars - usually over cream foundation but under powder foundation, if you wear both - to reduce the appearance too.
hayl
Cocoa butter is a good one! make sure the scars are well moisturized 24/7. also dont let them get damaged by sunburn or anything, itll prolong the scarring!
LucyCat20
love your body as you are,scars have built you to be strong, also there is cream at target helps....
LucidDreamer17
Well, sometimes you can't. I tell all my friends that have self harmed they are their battle scars. . They don't mind seeing them because they think of how bad their life was back then, and now when they look at it, they smile because they see how faded they are and how far they have come!
beautiful5oul
The best cure is time. Scars will get better over time, and maintaining care for them through ointment and bandages. If you feel uncomfortable with anyone seeing your scars while they are healing cover them with bandages.
Anonymous
First of all, congratulations for having enough courage to stop. Second, sometimes you can't really get rid of the scars. But learn to appreciate how far you came instead =)
UniqueLife
If it's not too big or deep, it'll usually heal over time. But if it turns out to be a keloid, then you'll probably have to laser it
Anonymous
Those scars at first can be a painful reminder, but eventually they become something that show what you survived, that showed your strength. Do not be ashamed. However if you want them gone, depending on the severity, you can have gorgeous tattoo covers, and you can get good creams for scars, or go speak to your doctor. There is a different solution for everyone, I hope you find the right one for you
ImmaMonster
I am an addicted self-harmer and I find it very hard, especially when there is high scar tissue on obvious parts of your body. I wear sleeves majority of the time and long pants but you obviously can't do that every day for the rest of you life can you? When I'm not wearing sleeves I often wear make up, water proof spray tan (if I'm going in water) and for the places with high scar tissue Ii sometimes use liquid layex. It's just like another skin and its clear. It's also extremely easy to apply. The only negative is that it can be quite expensive. Nowadays I tend to not actually bother with any of this though because it takes a lot of time and effort to do it. Also I found that I was constantly stressing over if they were properly covered. It's not like Ii didn't do a good job or anything it's just that Ii was constantly paranoid about it. So i told my family and closest friends, and now I don't really worry about it too much, and it's not like I advertise it. Also I'm not saying that I don't get the sideway looks or the constant questions but I do feel better about not having to hide that part of myself anymore, and I think it has made me stronger.
Anonymous
there is no real way to get rid of them besides time. you can buy all the creams and pills in the world but the best thing out there is just time & patience. one day your scars will fade but they'll never leave.
bigjumpersbighearts
lemon juice bleaches them if they're dark n i've also found that pure coconut oil works wonders! i'm not sure why it works, but mine are hardly noticeable now, so maybe that's something y'all would want to try x but also, unless you feel they have to vanish, don't be ashamed of them, they show that you fought your way through a bad time in your life
peacefulMusic4
Like others have mentioned bio oil can help reduce the appearance of scars. Another option (although it is very expensive) is the creme de le mer (I'm sure that's what it's called). Apparent,y it was designed by a man to help reduce his wife's scars - I don't know what type of scars but there you go!
AlanTheKeeper018
Cover it up with a nice tattoo or go to a plastic surgeon, there's not much you can do. If you feel ashamed of it just lie about what happened and say it was an accident. A white lie is nothing to be guilty about or you could just be honest. After all, you are who are in this life and what's done is done. Regrets can be a bummer but only if you let them be that. I've done the same to myself several times and I understand, it can be embarrassing to share with others but you shouldn't be too hard on yourself regardless of what the other person's reaction is.
Anonymous
You can talk to someone you trust about them, it'll help more than you think. However if you have no one you trust, you can also call a hotline.
Anonymous
I recommend applying and massaging the area with extra virgin olive oil along with a snail extract cream. They're efficient if used over a longer period of time. You could also contact a dermatologist about this as they will give you proper medical advice.
katelyn12
you can fade self harm scars over time, by using bio oil on the Healed scars. make sure that it is not a fresh cut. It won't help. Hope this helped
Anonymous
Unfortunately scars do not heal. However, they can be a pain or a memory left on one's body to remind that individual of a harmful event. They best way to get rid of self-harm scars, is to not look at them, ignore them, and think about the good things about your body or yourself.