How to get rid of self harm scars?

How to get rid of self harm scars?
★ This question about Self-Harm was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Linda Miland, MA

I have a passion to help individuals address and challenge thoughts ,feelings and lifestyle factors that are contributing to mental health issues.

Anonymous
scars can just fade overtime, but to quicken it bengay can help and you can use concealer for cover up
Anonymous
It all depends on what self harm scars there is. Mentally, and emotionally; you can overcome. Physically, just have time, and heal.
PatriciaHerman
DermalMD Stretch Mark serum is really moisturizing, but without being greasy! It's very light and doesn't have a heavy or displeasing scent either. I'm really pleased with my results so far. I've only been using DermalMD serum for a few days, but I honestly already see my stretch marks are fading somewhat. I believe with more use they will lighten much more! I have both light and very deep dark stretch marks, and the darker ones are considerably lighter. This doesn't burn my skin or cause any other discomfort.
beautifulFaith33
To get rid of self harm scars you should use bio oil or cell tone oil it will help you get rid of scars
Anonymous
Seek help, and realise that you are not alone. You are better than you think you are, and you deserve better than this.
Anonymous
Alot of patience, scars fade eventually. And if you cant get rid of them with patience then my suggestion is to use make up to cover itbup.
CaptainBatkat
In some ways it's not possible to get rid of self harm scars, people defienes 'getting rid of' in many ways, but instead of trying to hide the, you should maybe try to embrace them, because they are a part of you, and they show people that you have had a hard time, and you have thought you're battles, they are a part of you, and they only show the people that, even through you have been to a hard battle, you also won it with only scars!
mysteriousSummer25
You can use medicated creams available in market and if it's deep you can consult a doctor as well. There are certain surgeries for deep scars. And you can try home remedies also
UnlitClouds
Using bio oil regularly will help any scars or marks to fade a lot more quickly, in the meantime you can cover them up with foundation or concealer. If they are very bad and stay for long time after you've stopped, you could talk to a doctor about it if you feel comfortable doing so, and you might be able to get laser scar removal
Anonymous - Expert in Self-Harm
Fraxel Dual is a skin resurfacing laser treatment that can get rid of scars. It can be pretty pricey, but it works. Scar creams may fade scars, more likely if they are newer. Some people also choose to tattoo over the scars as a cover up. Some makeup made for covering tattoos might work for scarring as well.
Anonymous
Getting rid of self harm scars were always a question for me and earlier today I actually looked up a video for it. If you put 2 spoons of baking soda in a bowl and put vitamin e (liquid) into it with it and then stir you can then apply it to the scarred area. Make sure you put water on the scarred area before applying. When you apply it you have to scrub it for a while and the rinse it with water. The first time makes a huge difference and if you keep doing it you will barely notice it is there.
Kaaaatie
I've found that putting on a skin-colored foundation and setting it with pressed powder clears up the appearance of scars.
skydrews
I think it's good to let them heal, and when they are fully healed you can look at them, as a battle you fought, and won by stopping.
Anonymous
Aloe Vera is always good against self harm scars! Maybe together with propolis which is produced by bees and supports the healing process.
Anonymous
Personally, I would try Bio-Oil. This oil is applied directly to the surface of scars to reduce their appearance. It also helps smooth out uneven skin tone, useful when your scars are pink, red or brown. A 2-ounce bottle of Bio-Oil costs about $10 and is available at drug stores and online.
twelvetigerlillies
I find Jojoba oil is terrific, as much as everyone raves about Bio oil - or other similar oils, they actually contain mineral oil - a cheeky way of saying there is petrol in it!! I stick to all natural 100% jojoba oil, rub it on the scars day and night - keep at it, they begin to fade! This is also pretty useful stuff for dry skin, stretch marks or uneven skin!
amazingHoney22
Your scars will eventually disappear. Do not be ashamed of your scars, if you are then cover them up.
UJF81092
YOU CAN TALK THE PERSON THROUGH THE SITUATION AND IF THERE STILL NOT LISTING YOU GIVE THEM THE SUIDE HOTLINE NUMBER AND CHECK UP ON THEM AFTER
Anonymous
wear them like battle scars, you have overcome so much
Anonymous
Bio Oil or Mederma both work really well. Bio Oil is more oily and Mederma is more of a cream, but both work. It really just depends on what you like better. Good luck! :)
Anonymous
They go away over time I self harm before so I know how it is. Patience and trying not to do anymore harm
LynetteSky
Make sure to exfoliate your skin regularly; if self harm is inevitable for you, do make sure to take the proper care and disinfect any open cuts or burns. Once a scar forms, exfoliation and moisturising are vital in reducing self harm scars. Take care!
peacelovemusic03
I use aloe Vera after sun gel- works very well. Other methods could be something like Mederma scar cream, baby lotion or lotion with aloe or Shea butter.
Anonymous
Hi! I've recently faced the same problem and I did some research on that. I found out that you can buy some special creams to conceal the scars and make them smoother in the long term. You can also have a laser operation to remove your scars permanently, although it costs much more. Hope it helps! Good luck!
Anonymous
They have cocoa butter lotion and that gets rid of most scars over a certain period of time as long as you apply daily.
Dee95
I used to just wear lots of bracelets but the truth is I wouldn't know how to get rid of them.. I plan on getting a tattoo to cover them tho!
NetworkedNine
Sadly, scars are tough to get rid of. However, cocoa butter cream can help reduce the appearance of self-harm scars as well as other things like stretch marks. You can also (lightly) apply green/blue eyeshadow/makeup along not fully healed scars, or darker-than-normal foundation over healed scars - usually over cream foundation but under powder foundation, if you wear both - to reduce the appearance too.
hayl
Cocoa butter is a good one! make sure the scars are well moisturized 24/7. also dont let them get damaged by sunburn or anything, itll prolong the scarring!
LucyCat20
love your body as you are,scars have built you to be strong, also there is cream at target helps....
LucidDreamer17
Well, sometimes you can't. I tell all my friends that have self harmed they are their battle scars. . They don't mind seeing them because they think of how bad their life was back then, and now when they look at it, they smile because they see how faded they are and how far they have come!