Does anxiety run in families?

Christine Tronge, LCSW

I help those with depression, anxiety, and phobias develop coping skills to improve their lives and lessen their suffering, if not eliminate it.!!

Anonymous
From observations in my own life, I think anxiety certainly can run in families. I have a diagnosed anxiety/panic disorder, and I also see anxiety and depression affecting aunts, uncles, cousins, my grandma, mother, and sister. We don't necessarily talk about it much, but I see how anxiety is a shared struggle that many of my family members deal with.
Anonymous
Anxiety does happen to have a biological basis, sorta like allergies and whatnot. It can be inherited, but that's not always the cause of it.
Poppies
Not necessarily, but anxiety can be learned and picked up on from family members. Living in a tense environment can be a factor to being more anxious.
Alecia
Genetics and biology play a role in the creation of anxiety disorders. Not only does anxiety appear to run in families – if you take two people with similar experiences, one may have an anxiety disorder, one may not, and the only difference between them may be genetic, or at least influenced by the body more than the mind.
Dovah
Research shows (just like with depression) anxiety can be a genetic thing, meaning it certainly can run through the family! This doesn't mean though everyone in a family will have an anxiety disorder, a gene can lay dormant (inactive) until there are the right environmental triggers for it to kick in (I.E bullying/Traumatic event).
ThePoet
I honestly believe it does. Its something Ive noticed in high stress familys. If parents are Anxious, their children are more likely to pick up on that and feel it, even if they dont know what the anxiety is about.
remnantshadow
Anxiety can run in families because certain types of genetics can make us more susceptible to stressors in our lives.
heavenlyDreamer57
Yes, you can be genetically predisposed to anxiety and depression. If you are experiencing either of thee and know someone in your family has dealt with it, try to talk to them about it.
Megan45
If a family member has anxiety, there is a higher chance (but not a 100% guarantee) that you may also experience it.
ItWillBeOkaySarah
It certainly can run in families, but it doesn't have to. It's more like if a parent or family members are anxious, children pick it up. Personally, my grandmother and I both have anxiety. I know this is late but hope it helps!!
Anonymous
It can. I got anxiety from my dad, and he got anxiety from his dad. My brother also has anxiety. So I think it's possible that anxiety can run in a family, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to for an individual to be diagnosed with anxiety
Anonymous
In most cases yes. but I have seen many that haven't it is a factor, bu happens none the less
Anonymous
Yes, because there are different types of anxiety. They aren't contagious but they run in your genes. It differs between each family member because no ones genes are exactly alike, some are more immune, some are not.
TayPrianggono
No. I have Anxiety problems. But my mom and dad has a very calm personality. They never panic or anxious about anything. So I don't think it runs in families.
Anonymous
I would like to believe it does, like depression. Because I feel like as children growing up we like to model after our parents.
Anosh
yeah,i think anxiety is the part of human , life, it create due to liking,disliking, also depend on losing and wining game in the life, human has unlimited desire with limited age ,all desire are not achieve able in the life,and there is always a corner of anxiety in the human body.
thequietone13
October 22nd, 2014 1:44am
I think it does. My grandmother had anxiety, my mom has it, and so do I know. I really think that it is a gene passed down in families.
Kelly9294
October 22nd, 2014 2:23am
Research has shown that anxiety does have a biological basis. However, more research is necessary. Anxiety could be due to genetics.
Zora17
There is a genetic component. Some people might inherit more stress-reactive alleles, for example. However, genetics is not a determining factor. Anxiety might also run in family by anxious attitudes and behaviors being modeled and passed down, such as distrust and avoidance tendencies. Overall, genetics and environment interact for anxiety to manifest.
AlwaysJen
It seems to, in my family. I have dealt with anxiety issues, as have my mother and my older sister.
NikiTaylor
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that anxiety is something that you can have a genetic predisposition to and then you get it if something happens to trigger it. Which would mean that yes, it does run in families, but doesn't necessarily have to.
peachicus
Yes it does, Researchers are learning that anxiety disorders run in families, and that they have a biological basis, much like allergies or diabetes and other disorders. Anxiety disorders may develop from a complex set of risk factors, including genetics, brain chemistry, personality, and life events.
Anonymous
Yes, there are a multitude of studies showing a relationship between anxiety and genes. This does not always mean it will be passed on or even "activated" so to speak! A variety of psychosocial factors and life experiences can trigger the emergence of anxiety, although anxiety can develop even without a genetic background.
Anonymous
i believe that anxiety can very well come from the way families treat their offspring. i am not entirely if the genetical implications can be related.
CorvoHaze1111
I don't believe anxiety runs in families, it is something we all experience in our lives, it can stay or fade eventually,but with dedication and a strong will you can overcome it.
PeaceTrain
Some genetic factors have been attributed to anxiety attacks, but even a relatively unhealthy socioeconomic conditions can naturally contribute to anxiety within the family. So, yes it does run in families, quite a lot. But, again, it's not universal.
ChaiChelsea
Yes, many research studies have been done that show that anxiety can be genetic. This is especially true for immediate family members. I have personally experienced different kinds of anxiety disorders than some members in my slightly extended family have, but my psychiatrists have also said that this can also be due to genes.
sheIby
Anxiety can have a genetic root in families, along with many other mental illnesses. That doesn't necessarily mean everyone or one person besides yourself must have it. Mental illnesses stem from so much, it can even be randomly triggered by traumatic or stressful events later in life.
Anonymous
I personally think it can be passed on if someone is very vocal about their anxiety. Often vocalising a problem makes it more prominent for yourself and the people around you which may cause your family members to pick up on certain fears or worries. Also if it stems from a specific environment then people in that same environment could pick up on that. Genetically, anxiety can be passed down but personally I've not seen that happen and don't think it's that frequent.
hellopomegranate4772
April 22nd, 2015 1:28am
It can, but it can also be how you were raised and experiences when you were a child can have a huge play in it.