what are some good and healthy distractions from my anxiety when it gets really bad?

Israel

Tali Weiser, M.A DRAMA THERAPY

Therapist

I am a social worker and drama therapist emphasizing deep relationship and a dynamic approach.I believe that therapeutic relationship is a ground for new positive reflections

Anonymous
This is highly individual and in the end, you'll probably have to figure out your own thing, but keep trying and you'll get there. Personally, I would get in the car and just drive around listening to music or go outside and meditate. A common denominator of successful anxiety coping strategies seems to be actions changing your environment and situation.
EdenT
Breathing exercises, drawing, walking or exercise, music, talking to someone you trust, taking a nice bath, meditation.
blissfulPeace72
Reading a book in a calm and quiet environment is a great way to distract your anxiety. You can also listen to calm and happy music or do a hobby that you love.
PrincessDove13
The first step to take is when you first start to experience anxiety, even when it is very small and maybe not a big deal. Distraction is a great method, as well as breathing exercises. If it gets very severe, you can still use these as well. Try watching a movie or listen to calming songs. Snuggle a pet, read a book or play a game, cook, anything that might taks your mind off of it. Talking to a trusted friend or family member might also be helpful, as they might be able to help talk you through it and provide distractions. You can also try affirmations, such as "There is nothing to fear" "I am safe", etc.
Anonymous
It may sound strange but if I develop mental and physical symptoms of anxiety while driving, I pick two large random numbers and try to subtract one from the other in my mind. Don't make them too easy - you need to really focus and concentrate on the equation to distract yourself from the anxiety but it works every time!
Maddiek05
Color, look around your room and really notice and describe things, draw, listen to music, put a ice cube in your hand
Anonymous
Things that make us feel good and give us the potential to calm down, such as reading, writing, or listening to good music.
Anonymous
A method that I've found works really well is trying to count from 1 to 20 in your head, but with all the numbers out of order. You'll be too focused on what numbers to pick that you won't notice tour anxiety fading.
Anonymous
Take some time or min to breath an air outside, makes you to calm a little bit. Drink water , jogging
Ruek
Breathing exercises, yoga and meditation. I also find coloring and painting to be great activities that distract you and help you cope with anxiety.
empathicSunset87
Breathing exercises are good. You can also try focusing on things that make you happy. For some it can be reading or writing or even watching their favorite movie. Whatever it is, that can be a great anxiety minimizer for you.
LoveAndLemons11
The best distraction that I've found, is a hot shower and upbeat music! if you like painting your nails, or pampering yourself in any other way, that helps too! It's good to have some "you-time" to put things in perspective and remember that anxiety does not have the power to overcome your achievements. You have power over anxiety!
Imhereforyou6
Good distractions that can work. Are the following ones 1.takind a warm shower: its us believed to be relaxing 2.Cleaning up : By cleaning you are focusing on what you doing 3.walk : clears your mind and think clearly
GentleOwl19
Take part in some breathing exercises, colour a picture, take a walk in nature, meditate, drink some water, listen to music, talk to a friend, engage in a hobby, light a candle, read some uplifting quotes, take a hot bath etc. These are some of the things I do. :)
BuniCat
Squeeze something, like a ball. I personally like to draw, you can also just draw lines, express yourself, write down your concerns and then destroy them
Anonymous
I've found that personally, listening to music I really enjoy and that makes me feel happy or at least calm can be really helpful. Finding a quiet space can also help, but sometimes I find I need some background noise like a TV or peoples' conversations to help fill the space. I've heard that music also helps a lot for many people. Going for a walk outside can also be refreshing and help relieve some tension. Hope this helps, take care
Sunset316
Take deep breathes and calm your thoughts down. Think happy thoughts. Try doing things that you like. Sit outside on a nice day and read a book. Try cooking. Or simply sleep. Haha, this method always works in relieving stress.
VeeNess
Music is a great distraction from anxiety, during the dark days, try to put in some headphones and drown out the noise of your thoughts.
mysteriousOcean16
Some good distractions for anxiety is to try and get your mind on something else! Try doing something you like, Listen to some calming music or do something with your hands to let your mind concentrate on something else.
Anonymous
Doing a lot of outdoor activities like sport (cycling, jogging), read a book or listen to music in a nice green area, go for a walk and cut off completely with the daily routine (work, study and even family sometime). Just find some time and space only for yourself.
JJspacedoubt
Healthy ways to soothe yourself: 5GUM (Stimulate your senses) - Focusing on an activity and fully engaging one sense is an adaptive distraction. Try sucking on a piece of candy, really listening to a song, petting an animal, lighting smokeless incense, or looking at pictures of things you enjoy.
Anonymous
Try breathing or muscle relaxation techniques. Listen to soothing music. Close your eyes and think about a happy place or a happy time.
Z3rocool
I would prefer to indulge in things that makes you happy. Focus on good things. It is hard but we have to try. Talk and share with people close to you. Writing your thoughts will help you, too
cuddlyForestl75
One way of dealing with it could be fiddling with small objects that have interesting texture and trying to imagine how it was created, eg., pasta shells, how each ridge was made, step by step. Personally, I like to meditate while burning insence and candles, the aroma is calming and it is a general relaxation technique.
LotsofLove92
A great way to distract yourself from anxiety is to do something you know you enjoy and that relaxes you. I find reading a book, colouring in (you can get some awesome colouring books these days!), or something else that requires some concentration really helps. Allocating some time each day at the same time means you will get into a routine and you will have something to look forward to.
HeyAnnieRuOKAY
When my anxiety gets bad I tend to drop everything and give myself some love. Focusing on myself and my needs, wether it be to shower, eat, rest or do something a little more active. Talking to others helps too, sometimes bottling up your feelings and thoughts is stressful. Letting those feelings and thoughts out can be very helpful. =)
Maryska
Do something that makes you happy! Take a walk and listen to some music. Read. Take a nap if you need one. Take up a hobby or learn something new. These are all healthy and productive/helpful time consuming activities that help take care of you while not focusing on your anxiety. But anything that isn’t harmful and gets your mind off of it it’s fine :)
StephyC17
Calming music. (I recommend Weightless - Marconi Union) Focus on things particular around you. If you're having an anxiety attack and find yourself not being able to control it, look for sensory outlets. Tell yourself: name one thing I see, hear, smell, feel. Repeat until you've have come to a distraction from the anxiety in that moment. Hope this helps. Stay positive! :)
DaveMcGrath
Meditation, sit in a quiet place and center your thoughts on a fixed point. Breathe steadily and deeply in through your nose and out of your mouth. Exercise, get in 30 or so minutes of vigorous exercise to run down your energy that can be supercharged due to being in flight or fight mode.
ElleFriend
Effective anxiety reduction is often about distraction, since your mind can be your worst enemy when you have severe anxiety symptoms. A very effective technique is to talk to someone you like and trust, especially on the phone. Don't be shy about your anxiety - tell them you feel anxious and explain what you're feeling.Talking to nice people keeps your mind off of your symptoms, and the supportive nature of friends and family gives you that added boost of confidence. If you're suffering from a panic attack, it also helps you feel more confident that if something was wrong, you'd have someone that can watch over you.