How can I distract myself in healthy ways from negative thoughts?

Brittany Kelley, MSW, LCSW

I am a psychodynamically trained clinical social worker. I find assisting women and families through difficult times an extremely rewarding and collaborative process.

knickknacks
Surround yourself with good people, people who lift you up and bring out the best in you. Dont settle for people who just makes you feel terrible about yourself, they dont deserve you. Think happy thoughts!
AskingAriel
Exercise. Write. Dance. Sing. Laugh. Call a friend. Watch a movie. Take a bubble bath. Pet your cat. Pet your dog. Take a nap!
YourAngel22
I think trying to keep yourself occupied as much as possible would help particularly through pursing an interest or engaging in hobbies and doing more of those things that you enjoy/love doing. So long as you are busy and keep yourself distracted it should help keep your mind off those negative thoughts.
shoulderforu
gratitude is ur answer! it works like magic...grab a paper list down things u HAVE in ur life for which u are thankful for.... do write 3 each for a week and see the magic for urself.
Mark5
There are many ways that you could distract yourself: coloring, writing, going for walks, playing video games, watching TV or movies, talking with friends, sleeping, listening to music, visiting the 7 Cups group chat rooms, playing with pets, hanging out with family, meditation, deep-breathing exercises, exercising, painting, doing crafts...
mike251
Get more involved in hobbies is a great way. Also, traveling, being with friends, etc. Another good thing is to change the negative thoughts and start to replace and dispel them. You should not run from negative thoughts, but, rather, you need to change them, so they do not occur anymore.
Brichu
Exercise, go for a walk, talk with a friend and tell your problems, relate and cling more to your family. There are many ways to get distracted even watching a simple movie, when a person feels sad they are locked in a jar blocking all these options
FlowerInDisguise19
Well, you can always try writing a diary to get your feelings down onto paper and coming onto 7cups and connecting to a listener is a good idea, or popping into teen support..we're always here to listen and offer you a helping hand :)
Life705
What always helps me getting rid of negative thoughts is getting active. Whenever I feel like my negative thoughts are going to crush me I go outside for a walk. Meeting with people you like can also be helpful. You should however avoid talking to them about your negative thoughts...at least you shouldn't constantly talk about it with them if you are looking for distraction. Try to do something fun with them. I also find distraction by reaing a good book. It keeps my mind occupied.
calmsunshine89
When trying to get rid of a negative thought, we need to fill the void by replacing it with a positive, healthy thought. Otherwise, it leaves us wide open to more and more negative thoughts.
FT
Get hobbies, get other things to focus on - join a community online, browse easy-to-navigate sites like Tumblr and Imgur, just remember to reinforce the positive feelings and forget the negative ones!
Anonymous
Doing your normal routine, exercising, and adopting healthy habits! Also...it may sound scary, but allow a few moments in the day to rest and reflect. Think of something you enjoyed about the day, however small it may be. Talk to someone you love.
lovemuffin890
Read a good book or get into social media. That's how i distract my mind from "not helpful" thoughts. I hope this could help you.
nicole273
Exercise is said to be a very helpful technique as when you do, it can release endorphins and other chemicals in the body which help to fight sadness. Or if not, simply doing something that you enjoy, whether that reading, acting, listening to music etc.
lovelyTree31
I thinks it's better to face with it, Imagine the worst case scenario that might happen! but if you want to distract yourself I think: 1.You can do what you are interested in, Like playing soccer, listening to musics & etc. 2.Do what you are afraid of! This might sound weird at first but it really distracts you and makes you feel better, for example if you are afraid from asking a girl to a date, then do it, just ask her... 3.Listen to music and if you like dance with it and let go of things! 4.Have a nap, when you are emotional sleeping decreases them... 5.Learn a new thing/skill, for example learn a new food or register to a music class.
herefoyou
The negative thoughts come as a result of a idle mind. You should first find out what activities make you feel happiest and take part in them. Most importantly avoid being alone.
Anonymous
I find that a good way to distract myself from negative thoughts is by doing something that I love to do, for example if I am having a bad day and start to think about it then I will put on a happy movie or something that I am interested in, or I will cook something so that my mind is focused elsewhere instead of what is bothering me.
Shikamaru42
Well, I guess we've all heard about thinking of more positive things, figuring out what you like about yourself or your situation in general, zooming out and appreciating the bright parts of the big picture. If I hear you correctly though, that's not what you want - which makes sense 'cause these things still require that extra push to redirect your thoughts and you most likely won't always have the power for that. However, there's some things beyond that I personally found to be helpful, like meditating and working out. That's still big words, I know - but if you don't feel ready for it, just start on a lower level. For example, meditation can also mean nodding your head whilst listening to a good song on your headphones. What I'm trying to say is, whether it's a predominantly mental or physical activity, just do stuff you like - read a book, go play with your pet if you have one, train with your team if you're in some sort of club - but also try out little activities you normally wouldn't - for example, you could call a friend you haven't seen for some time, ask them how their day/week/year has been and try to focus on their story for a moment instead of yours. They're probably going to be pleasantly surprised and you will have something for your mind to play with. I hope this is of some help to you - or that at least reading this response distracted you for a moment ;)
insightfulBeauty28
December 22nd, 2015 7:07am
Its all about you .Its so simple what you think is what you become there's no line between you and your thinking and i guess you always feel disturbed, helpless, you don't have to worry at all you have to start thinking positive by all your own. I can suggest you music and some good movies, Spend time with your family,friends or love ones or by doing the things you love is the greatest way. You have to defend yourself from negativity. You don't need to worry at all. Believe in yourself and always remember the best is yet to come. Stand up every time you fall Wipe your tears every time you cry, Find yourself every time you feel lost, Love your self every time you feel ignored. as its all started with you and only you can end up these things.
optimisticForest99
February 1st, 2016 6:16pm
When negative thinking comes to my mind and it depresses me, I love to hear music , cooking foods, making new things, share my feelings to my close friend.
OrchidSpring
March 22nd, 2016 4:38am
Surround yourself with positive people and doing healthy activities. Mediate and or listen to music.
seventyninedays
I like to think that the best way to distract yourself from negativity is it focus on the little things in life! ~ the colour of the leaves, the ripples in water, the clouds moving in the sky.. When you think about how huge and beautiful the world is in comparison to us, you realise there is no reason to dwell on such tiny problems!
gracefulHeart44
Picking up new hobbies is a positive way to get away from negative thoughts, also talking to those who are close to you (if you feel this is an option) is another way to get things out. Venting is very important in my opinion.
picturesque03afterthought
From my personal experience I can say that writing them down does help a lot. It's similar to venting your thoughts out, except here they are on paper but I've also met people who don't find this helpful. So, if you don't want to try this, you can maintain a list of things you are grateful for, things that make you happy and smile, and re read that list (and maybe add more items to it) whenever you want to distract yourself from your negative thoughts. Try engaging in activities (the best way ) that make you happy,like listening to music, drawing, running, baking...anything that works for you. I hope this helps.
BlissfulShower
As a student,i would want to engage myself in studies. Apart from that,when im stressed i may play music which gives me a great relief .it gives the brain a good excersise but never tiresome! Aesthetic side of one can be ameliorated by doing so and he/she will be kept away from any negative feeling!
Anonymous
There are many things you can do. For instance, doing things you love and enjoy, like your hobbies.
Maarschalk89
Do something you feel comfort about. Something where you use your mind and body. I often take a walk, go out fishing or using a warm shower. Other times I am calling a friend, just for a small talk. The most important thing is, you do something to distract your negative thoughts. A way I find comforting is by talking openly about my feelings, to my closest friends- Knowing they do not judging me. Sport is also a great drain for negative thoughts. It do not necessarily need to be a team- sport, like football or rugby. It can be geocaching, chess, meditation or yoga at home. You need to find the techniques working for you!
Rogue1234
Something that yo like. I.E. reading ,writing, exersise , anything that you like to do try to do it ven if you dont want to
Anonymous
I have found that for me listening to positive music and painting is a good way to keep from negative thoughts. Hanging out with friends and family is also a good way. Watching funny movies can also be helpful.
Anonymous
By doing something you enjoy, such as, drawing, cooking, running, listening to music, cleaning, etc.