How did I get depression?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

Valrieee
I got depression from almost just being me. Its so common and pretty much everyone can get it. its pretty scared to be honest. Knowing that something wrong with you, that you arent "Normal" as everyone else. It tore me up completely. I got depression from being the girl that no one talked to, that always sat by herself. For being her. I hated that I have depression. But soon enough I choose to accept the fact that there was something wrong with me, and for that. I got so much better
DPate16
Depression is natural. Many people are born with it because it is very hereditary. But there are many things you can do to help your depression.
Anonymous
Depression is an emotion and a mental illness, but they are two separate things. Just because you feel depressed a few times in life does NOT mean you are already having the mental illness Depression. As well depression comes from an emotional transition we are not used to that is hurting us negatively.
Oreo
Depression stems from a lot of different factors. Some studies have found a genetic link to depression, so some individuals are more likely to have it. Events of devastation or loss can trigger the onset of depression; some women get depressed when they're pregnant or menopausal; some teens get depressed around puberty. For some it just comes along for no reason, for others it comes from abusive relationship or miserable living conditions. No matter how you got depression, whether it be from an bad experience or from a simple hormonal imbalance, your depression is no less important to treat or any less real than other people's depression. It isn't something you can use logic on to just say "Well my situation isn't that bad, I'll just cheer up" and it will be all better.
MissHedgehog
I sunk into a depression after I left primary school. I'd been bullied for years and I thought a change in schools would finally make my life better. Then it turned out that in high school, people were just as mean to me. On top of that, my grandpa passed away from cancer and my whole family was a mess. I didn't get any attention anymore and had nobody to share my new experiences at school with.
Extiaa
September 22nd, 2014 12:21am
well, while depression is something you're born with, it's hard wired into your brain, i feel mine was triggered but a bad relationship with my father. it first came to a head when i was 12 years old and i've suffered ever since.
FlickeringCandle
My depression started in 8th grade: I was quite lonely, and my main friend was the school librarian. Beyond that, I think I inherited the tendency itself from my mother, who has suffered from it all her life.
DevilDocWilson
You dont earn depression, you dont recive depression from someone else, you dont wake up one morning with it, you dont control when you have it, you cant will it away, you can work every day of the rest of your life and still have it right behind you, some times others can't remove it for you like a surgry, your depression isnt like anyone elses in this world or any other world, some days your depression feels like a ton of bricks, some days you wont feel it at all, but guess what, you dont ever have to face your shadows alone. you did not chose do get depression, it chose you.
theblackcat
I suffer from chronic depression because I felt unloved and alone when I was younger. I dealt with everything myself and keep it under lock and key. I suffered in silence for many years. I waited until it was terribly out of control to get help. I could had prevented my sufferings, but since I can't undo what was already done, I'll use this experience as a motivation to helping others. I don't wish this pain on anyone! Please talk to someone. Nothing is worse then being alone and feeling unloved!
AnnieElen
I was bullied. I never had experience with being bullied before. They spread rumors, and I started falling behind in work which made me get in trouble
Gemma8483
Depression does not discriminate, anybody can suffer from it, and it is very common. You're chances can be higher if it runs in your family or if your environment and situation is difficult to cope with.
Harri
There is no clear cut way to get depression, there are lots of different factors surrounding it including genetics, RNA levels and lifestyle
CHETAN
by continuously thinking on something which makes u feel bad for a long time. it starts with a conscious thinking about some negative thing then when we repeat it for so many times then this behavior actually gets on automatic mode. like u are free or u are doing something uninteresting mind will automatically go there. by doing this it meets one of the significant needs of human behavior which is called need for the variety.
Anonymous
Depression can come in many forms. Some by events in life and others by what we are feeling inside.
kittykat
There are a lot of ways somebody can become depressed! Sometimes it's environmentally caused, sometimes biologically caused, and sometimes a mix of the two. Major depressive disorder involves a lack of serotonin production in the brain. Serotonin is the chemical that helps us stay positive and productive, which is why depression saps not just mood, but motivation and energy and senses. The best thing to do if you're feeling depressed is to reach out to a mental health professional. However, if these resources aren't available to you, community support is great. There are also guides on ways to take care of yourself and increase your brain's serotonin production if you don't have access to medication. Environmentally caused depression can be a result of stress, guilt, or the negativity of others. If you're in a situation that's causing you a lot of stress, be it at home or work, it's easy to become consistently anxious and exhausted. In these cases, it's best to look into different self-care tips, and to try to work through as many of the environmental problems as you can.
Anonymous
Chemical imbalance in the brain caused by low levels of serotonin. How did you know I had depression?
amorphousheart
Depression is a chemical thing. Sometimes, external events make it flare up, but it's chemicals inside of your brain not doing what they should.
Asparagus515
Depression is different for everyone! Some people become depressed because something traumatic happened to them while for others it happens seemingly randomly because the chemicals in their brain are out of balance.
davesmithson
It is a chemical imbalance in your brain. It can be caused by a number of stressful things in your life, Hope this helps
sheIby
Depression develops for different reasons for everyone and usually it's not clear. Depression can be a chemical imbalance in your brain, which can be helped by anti-depressants. Depression can stem from traumatic events, poverty, hereditary, etc.
SeagullColin
A question to ask yourself, don't you think? Look at the past, and remember that the future will be different.
Anonymous
We can get depression from various sources from life circumstances, trauma and abuse to genetics and medical reasons.
TurtleTurtle
IT may be simply that there was a miswiring of your brain, and you were born with it. It could also be caused by diet, sleep, or stress.
Theda
Depression doesn't always happen for a reason, for many people (me personally) it seemingly comes out of no where and that doesn't make it any less valid that if it was happening for a reason. I've found there are many factors that can exacerbate it though such as not sleeping well, not eating healthy and being lonely.
Smilewhenitrains87
I really can't ethically answer this because it's different for every person and to give a broad answer for something like this wouldn't be correct or accurate
Anonymous
Our mind is a belief system. Initially , when everything is good, we remain relaxed. But suddenly when a day comes when our beliefs are tested against real world situations and we fail , it's a very big set back to the whole belief system. Might be because of that, our mind enters into a state of less external activity and high internal activity which we call as depression. And we remain in there as long as our beliefs remain the same. The moment we change our beliefs, we come out of it. But it's just my own perspective.
compassionatelife
i believe depression is an outcome of negative feelings. Life is full of twists and turns. And there is no particular reason that could trigger this feeling!
Pixiedust224
Well i was young and nothing ever semmed to go my way and i started losing everyone i loved untill i lost my best friend and i broke down
TobieEight
Depression can hook on to many situations, such as eating disorders, divorce, the lost of a love one etc.
Anonymous
You don't get depression it just naturally happens or if you have gotten bullied it's a whole other senario.