What are some natural remedies for depression?

Lisa Groesz, PhD

With evidenced based therapies, we find the root of the problem together to implement solutions. We all face crises, transitions, or disorders at some time.

Anonymous
Some natural remedies for depression are exercise, and mind wellness and clarification such as yoga.
niamh333
It sounds silly but when you're depressed even a little lift in mood can make all the difference. Sometimes it's the little things in life - a nice cup of tea, a hug or a good chat with a friend, a giggle at a silly tv show or a bit of fresh air and sunshine :)
shadowrose
A good natural remedy for depression is to keep a journal. And write down your thoughts. From there you can try to find the positive in the negatives.
Anonymous
Exercise. I swear by this. Exercise releases endorphins in your brain that make you feel good and can help combat depression.
lyricalGrace
Exercise! Exercise releases serotonin which is a neurotransmitter that makes us feel happy. Also just smiling (even when you feel you have nothing to smile about) has shown to improve moods.
Haiqapervez
Talking to someone you feel comfortable with, yoga and trying to do what you love can really help open some doors of positivity.
poofinessence
There are so many natural remedies for depression! Essential oils, melatonin/natural vitamins, exercise, yoga, meditation, journaling, having a daily routine, being outside, even your diet! Consider plant-based whole foods. It's been known to reverse many diseases and illnesses. Science knows so little when it comes to psychology/depression, so there are so many things that probably make a huge difference in how you live your life that aren't "scientific."
Anonymous
Exercise, healthy eating, and getting enough sleep are the main ones. Lots of emphasis on the exercise though -- it's the only thing that has helped me.
Anonymous
A diet high in B vitamins and protein, like fish and green leafy vegetables, lots of fresh air and sunshine, and regular exercise. Also creative arts like writing, painting, and music are wonderful therapy for depression.
YourBestFriendRyan
I find exercise to be very helpful, as well as getting plenty of sleep when you can and eating right.
Emilytea
Meditation, exercise, yoga, aromatherapy and keeping a healthy diet are some natural remedies. Keeping your body healthy will be beneficial to the brain.
Anonymous
St Johns Wort is an herb that can help. Exercise is another way to help. During my most depressed times I would make a list of all the things I could do for myself to heal, and I would check off whenever I did something nice for myself.
Nithou
Wort is a natural remedy against mood changes and sadness, physical exercises helps also a lot by providing your body with good hormones and improving your self esteem. Stay away from alcohol if you can, as it only provokes more depression and takes a lot of your energy.
Aggie96
For a lot of people, including me, working out is a great natural remedy. I didn't notice just how much until I stopped working out for a couple of months and entered a downward spiral. It boosts your self esteem and confidence while also giving you something to do and possibly look forward to every day.
Justcallmyname07
Exercise! Moving around in some way to get your heart rate up or break a sweat are wonderful ways to kill depression. Eating a large amount of plant-based foods to absorb the vitamins you need and avoid carb diet sugar crashes. Meditation and yoga have been said to help with mood also!
Smilekid0808
I will swear by yoga until my final breath, but that's because yoga helped me through my very severe depression. Everyone is different, but exercise of any kind tends to work pretty well: get out of bed (I know it's really tough, but you can do it!), go outside, and take a walk. Other things that help are writing: putting your feelings on paper is really helpful when it comes to sorting them out and better understanding yourself. I know a lot of these remedies are easier said than done, but you're looking for remedies and that's a really amazing, huge step! :)
tresaben93
The most scientifically proven, natural forms of depression are: - Sleeping well - Eating well - Exercising It sounds so obvious, but as human beings these improving these habits have shown to improve both emotional and physical well being.
Endearingfriend
Exercise has been proven to be the most effective cure for depression. It's all about getting out and getting your heart pumping, anything ranging from an aerobics workout to yoga can help :) Exercising helps you boost your mood and releases feel good chemicals called endorphins, lower anxiety and immediately makes you feel better about yourself
daintydragonflies
To write things you like about yourself and happy memories down tand outting them in a jar so you can re read them when feeling down
KnightInWhite04
I find that a hobby really helps me manage my depression. It distracts me from the unhelpful emotions and grounds me in the now. Either rekindle an old interest or start something new. The possibilities are endless!
WildFree94
As much as we don't feel like it when we're down, a brilliant natural anti-depressant is exercise! It releases all of those happy chemicals in your brain.
VladZoran
In my personal experience listening to others with similar stories and empathizing with them and helping them understand that they are not alone helps me. Writing out your feelings and discussing them is something else I have done. I also make myself smile even when I'm feeling depressed because research has shown that physical actions like that can make you happier. Repressing these feelings by keeping a stern face or by frowning can intensify feelings of depression.
igotyourback97
Doing Spacial Body Awareness can help a ton! Also, I use an app called Calm! And make sure to write/type out how you are feeling every day, even every hour! Sometimes, getting things out on paper can release some of the hectic and worrying thoughts that comes with depression. And most importantly, NEVER apologize for feeling the way you do, no matter what comes with this depression, you are always still you.
Yati2
Sports and exercise, both will server you best. Making friends is first suggestion, but its harder than it sound.
Fruitybunny16
Lots of laughter, hanging out with friends and loved ones, therapy and doing what you love to do would be my remedy.
iLANsa
Changing your behavior -- your physical activity, lifestyle, and even your way of thinking -- are all natural depression treatments. 1. Get in a routine. If you’re depressed, you need a routine. Depression can strip away the structure from your life. One day melts into the next. Setting a gentle daily schedule can help you get back on track. 2.Set goals. When you're depressed, you may feel like you can't accomplish anything. That makes you feel worse about yourself. To push back, set daily goals for yourself. Start very small, make your goal something that you can succeed at, like doing the dishes every other day. 3. Exercise. It temporarily boosts feel-good chemicals called endorphins. It may also have long-term benefits for people with depression. Just walking a few times a week can help. 4. Eat healthy. There is no magic diet that fixes depression. It's a good idea to watch what you eat, though. If depression tends to make you overeat, getting in control of your eating will help you feel better. 5. Get enough sleep. Depression can make it hard to get enough shut-eye, and too little sleep can make depression worse.
Epikura
Exercise is actually very helpful to ease depression. The nature of the illness makes it hard to find the energy to go out and exercise but if you manage to find an activity that you enjoy, your efforts will pay off! Eating well and regularly also helps with the symptoms of depression. A very interesting approach, that I have found worked for me, was swimming in cold water. It has a noticeable antidepressant effect, because it puts the nod in a stress situation. But the fact that situation can be controlled and managed has a positive effect on the mind. But take care of yourself when you want to try this, it can be very helpful, but make sure not to stay in the water for too long!
thoughtfulSnowflake54
There are a few things i personally believe are helpful to deal with depression some remedies for at home when you are alone or even if you're not, like Doing something you love to do. writing down issues and burning it. spending time with loved ones. i also believe writing poetry or writing in general and focusing on the positive things in life can help. staying relaxed and doing yoga or working out. even going for a walk or run. getting a new pet may help and cooking and just staying focused trying to forget whats bothering you. helping others as well if they are going through things can actually help.
Anonymous
Sitting and feeling your feelings, trying to pay attention to the emotions underneath the mental chatter. Depression often has a lot of negative self-talk-- try and let that negative self talk go, acknowledge it is there but don't dwell on it, feeling the feelings and being able to identify them and the underlying causes. Even identifying the emotions can be really helpful, there is difference from anxious depression to helpless feeling depression. Understanding where negative self talk comes from helps to distance yourself a little from compulsive negative thoughts. This can lighten the pressure of the depression and help give you some energy if not relief.