What is the first step in self-care for depression?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

Aprildays2432
I think that the first step in self-care would be admitting that you are in fact depressed, and educating yourself on depression. You can educate yourself best by talking to a doctor or therapist.
Caringpotato
First step is acknowledging that depression is a chronic medical illness and not just a momentary ac feeling. Since it's chronic, it's very important to seek professional help to find out different treatment options and working with therapists or doctors to decide what's best treatment for yourself. Some people are able to manage depression on their own, however, since depression can be so disabling, many people struggle to manage it with lack of proper support and treatment and fall back into the cycle of hopelessness and helplessness. Being on constant emotional roller coaster can take serious toll on our life. So seeking out help is the most bravest and important step in the self care
Anonymous
It sounds like a cliche but, in my experience, realizing something is wrong is a really important first step. From there, you can begin to craft a plan of action that includes professional help, healthier lifestyle components, and a personal support network.
N0TW0RTHL3SS
To learn to love yourself. Know that Depression doesn't make you any less of a person deserving of love. Learn to love yourself by doing things you enjoy, however, if you can't pull yourself to doing things, try and just accept yourself. Don't beat yourself up. Don't be mad at yourself if some days you can only wake up.
Spiderman93
i believe the first step in self care would have to be admitting that you are depressed and that you need help. its ok to be nervous about reaching out. depression is tough and no one should have to go through it alone.
Zuttley
Spend some time every thinking about things in your life that make you happy, even the smallest things like the wind, or or trees can bring joy to your life and help lift you up.
therapinto
April 22nd, 2015 9:10am
Educate yourself about depression, sleep well, manage your diet and exercise daily. Start writing whatever you feel in a journal. Stick with the treatment plan you have adopted. Set goals for yourself.
katroses
Knowing what made you depressed in the first place and why. From that you could start evaluating yourself how to manage your depression
Anonymous
It's important to accept that you are suffering from depression, and that you deserve to find a way to ease your suffering. This understanding of your value as an individual with an emotional problem can lead you to solutions, like therapy, medication, and other methods of self-care.
Phoenix9
Natural health-mental/physical/spiritual, no drugs/alcohol, meditation, pets, exercise, talking to people/being with others, helping other people/giving, doing things that you enjoy, feeling stability on all levels, being kind to yourself...
Anonymous
Sometimes self help is better for some people. Start trying to do things that make you happier and avoid people, situations, things, etc. that might put you in more of a depressed mood.
becauseimhere
My opinion is that the first step in self-care for depression is believing that YOU deserve recovery!
CallMeRay
I think acceptance is always a good first step to anything. Also, ignorance isn't something that helps. When I realized that I could possibly be depressed, I accepted it and went to see a counselor. I know how hard and scary it can be, but in the end, it was okay for me. So, it could be okay for others too, even though no two people are ever the same.
Anonymous
The first step is acknowledging the issue and recognizing the need for change. Once you see the issue, you can work on dealing with it properly.
Anonymous
knowing that there is no true self care. you should seek out professional help or find someone to understand your feelings. it's same as trying to be a surgeon and operate yourself.
compassionateCat90
Personally, I think it's accepting it. It's a part of you and it can be managed. It could last a hedger from a day to the rest of your life. Some days will be harder than others. But you need to accept that it doesn't have to have a big impact on your life. From there, speak with close friends or family or anyone that you trust. Tell them about it. Let your feelings out. Don't keep it bottled up inside. If possible, speak with a therapist or any listner on 7 cups to help you cope with difficult days. In the end as long as you're willing to help yourself, take the first step and look for anyone who can help.
Immortalwolfieslyrics
The first step in self-care for depression is to tell someone. Tell a trusted adult that your not having safe thoughts and tell them exactly how you are feeling. I am bipolar manic and I was depressed for a very long time. It took all I had to tell my mom, and not cut. It still tries to come back and shove to the ground and feel worthless but I am not. I am trying to get new tools to help me with the horrific thoughts. And I have many of them here at use for me when I need to, no matter where I go.
Armanta
Understanding yourself and what you need the most, Also wanting to help yourself and allow others to help you. Knowing that it's not a weakness to ask for help.
Anonymous
Accept you have depression and start to distract yourself of bad thoughts, walking, reading, even watch movies can help.
Didara
Don't let your depression get you! Always try to send the bad thoughts away. Visualise your problem - your depression is like a big dark monster sitting on your neck, and it is up to you whether you'll learn how to live with it, or try and send it away.
Anonymous
Baby steps in everything. Taking care of your physical health is quite crucial and should be one's focus.
PeacockBlue
You've already taken it. You took the effort to come on here first of all and you are looking to find ways to accept & take care of yourself. Now, just try accept yourself the way you are. If you want to learn self-care, then you just learned a great big secret. - Accepting yourself! If you don't love yourself, it will be harder to find someone or rather believe someone when they love you
Anonymous
changing the ambience or atmosphere. the place where you think the most. you need to change the area.
ListeningOak
The first step is accepting that you are depressed. Accept that you feel bad and that feeling is temporary. Once you come to terms with your depression you can begin to heal
Ashiya
The first step for self-care in depression is to take time for yourself. Can't leave the house? Don't. It'll be a lot more painful leaving home than going out unless you have something to help distract you like drawing or music that can help put your mood up. If you have a job or school, make sure to make calls or send emails to ensure people know what's up and why you're absent. People are very understanding and will allow you to tend to your depression.
Anonymous
Identifying that a problem exists with which you need help from someone aside from yourself. As is often said, knowing is half the battle.
Anonymous
January 2nd, 2018 6:27pm
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can really benefit your mental health, such as a healthy diet, plenty of sleep and leisure activities for example.
MagnanimousSymphony
The first step is realizing that you deserve better. Depression can hit anyone, and it can hit hard. There are many approaches to dealing with your depression, but the first step is always realizing that enough is enough and that you want positive change. The next step is to talk to a doctor, or therapist, or counselour, or to go to 7 Cups. :)
RylieRae
Getting your self out of bed! This seems small but it is one of the biggest accomplishments to achieve with depression. Sometimes depression can make us feel sad and unmotivated or even unable to get out of bed. Push through that, jump up, and get going to a productive day that you'll be proud of later.
heyiamhere95
I would say, making a routine and take care of the human basic needs. I know it's not easy but I promise, build a habit and commit to it will be rewarding. Making one goal at a day, and taking small step is a good way to start, then adding it gradually until you become the person you want to be. The bad feelings might not disappear right away, but completing some goals in life always sparks joy, doesn't it? You can change and shower youself with love like if you taking care of a sick someone you love. Just be gentle.