What should I do when my depression starts getting severe or I start having suicidal thoughts?

Serene Sarah George, Diploma in Counseling Skills (DCS), Pursuing MA in Psychology

Mental health counselor who believes in supporting people to think through their emotional challenges and empowering them to find resolutions or effective coping mechanisms.

Anonymous
Please, please, please feel free to message me any time you like. I will do my absolute very best to help you out. (: Otherwise, talk to a real counselor or contact a suicide hotline. You are loved and I may not know you but I'd be sad if you died!
Tess1982
You're not alone; many of us have had suicidal thoughts at some point in our lives. Feeling suicidal is not a character defect, and it doesn't mean that you are crazy, or weak, or flawed. It only means that you have more pain than you can cope with right now. This pain seems overwhelming and permanent at the moment. But with time and support, you can overcome your problems and the pain and suicidal feelings will pass. Even though you’re in a lot of pain right now, give yourself some distance between thoughts and action. Make a promise to yourself: "I will wait 24 hours and won't do anything drastic during that time." Or, wait a week. Thoughts and actions are two different things—your suicidal thoughts do not have to become a reality. There’s is no deadline, no one pushing you to act on these thoughts immediately. Wait. Wait and put some distance between your suicidal thoughts and suicidal action. Even people who feel as badly as you are feeling now manage to survive these feelings. Take hope in this. There is a very good chance that you are going to live through these feelings, no matter how much self-loathing, hopelessness, or isolation you are currently experiencing. Just give yourself the time needed and don’t try to go it alone. Many of us have found that the first step to coping with suicidal thoughts and feelings is to share them with someone we trust. It may be a friend, a therapist, a member of the clergy, a teacher, a family doctor, a coach, or an experienced counselor at the end of a helpline. Find someone you trust and let them know how bad things are. Don’t let fear, shame, or embarrassment prevent you from seeking help. Just talking about how you got to this point in your life can release a lot of the pressure that’s building up and help you find a way to cope.
KKGunner
Get an empty box. Write down the numbers of suicide and crisis hotlines on notebooks you use frequently. Write a list of reasons to live. Fill a photo album of all the good memories you had. Write postcards to yourself. Fill the box with these. When you feel suicidal, go to this box. Next, make a safety plan. Write a list of all the things you'll do when you are suicidal. Go to the emergency room. Call a hotline. Talk with your friends. Tell your family about this plan. Tell your friends. Tell everyone you trust. And the next time you are suicidal, tell the same people you told your safety plan to and they will help to calm you down.
HANN1BAL
Suicidal thoughts can be dodged. I have been through the same thoughts. Walking helps alot. Take a walk outside with people around and let all that frustration flow out. Change of environment changes perception.
NikiTaylor
Talk to the important people in your life about this and see a professional. Depression and suicidal are really difficult to go through alone and it helps to know that there are people out there who are there for you and want what's best for you, even if you might not be able to see what's best for you at the moment.
jona20
Try for one last day... each day before you give it all up. When someone starts to feel it's the end, what he/she really want is to be saved and listened to. And many can relate to you so stay strong, you're not alone! Love.
smileforawhile
If your depressions starts getting worse or you're having suicidal thoughts, I think it's best to see a therapist or another professional. There are so many people that are willing to help you. There are so many resources available that can help you start enjoying life again.
Miiiranda987
Everyone has different coping mechanism but you could try to draw, write, listen to music or do anything that makes you feel happy. I would also consider talking to a professional because suicidal thoughts can be hard to get through alone.
FactsFollow
As soon as you notice that your depression is becoming severely detrimental, then I believe it would be best to tell a friend or someone you're close to about your depression. Holding in your depression and how you feel will not do any good AT ALL. In fact, holding all your emotions in without any sort of release will be extensively agonizing, and will do more harm than good. Besides, talking to someone who you trust will likely not do any harm. If talking to someone about your depression isn't of your interest, then you could possibly take part in hobbies or maybe get a membership at a local gym! Going to the gym would allow you to get your mind off your depression, get physically AND mentally fit, and you would be surrounded by people, which may result in you not feeling lonely. Listening to music is always helpful when it comes to depression, however, it cannot be the sole form of relief. Surrounding yourself with friends or people you enjoy being around with would help you find happiness in the world around you. Going to the gym can result in you being physically fit, which would in turn improve your self-confidence and help release some toxic hormones, meaning improving your overall well being (mental health included!).
Rachael44
Call a hotline! If you are in immediate danger a suicide hotline or 911 are the best resources to use! People within these services are trained to help you and will have the best effect on the situation.
Louisiana
Take a deep breath and speak to either someone you trust or seek qualified help from someone else. I have found listing the little things that make me happy also helps and lets you focus on the positive things in life.
SarahKeaunah
I've suffered from depression for a very long time. I can't count my suicide attempts on two hands. But I know that when I was feeling at my lowest, it really helped me to either call the suicide hotline and talk to one of them, or to call a close family member or friend to come be with me until I was forsure I was okay.
LubaMariya
I should search for a professional help and someone to talk to and find activities that fill my time and give me pleasure to get away from my thoughts. The best way is to find an alternative and start thinking about positive things. Another way is to keep a journal about my thoughts and how I feel and what I want to do.
pie
October 2nd, 2014 2:30am
Try talking to a therapist, or someone close to you whom you trust. There are people who want to help you get well!
Ven
One thing: Ask for professional help. It won't make you insane or anything. It's just a precaution for you to not hurt yourself or anybody.
Anonymous
Seek professional help immediately.. Surround yourself with loved ones or find a close relative or friend you can confide in and open up to them..talking to someone about what youre going through helps tremendously with these thoughts and feelings
gentlePresence70
When you begin to start feeling really depressed or you feel like you're being push to a suicidal point you should either call the therapist talk to a very close friend maybe they could help you a little bit or there is a suicide hotline that you can contact.
introvertedfriend
Try to do something physical. I usually take a run or do jumping ropes. I don't recommend reading books or Watching movies as these never worked for me. But when I do something physical I take my mind off from these thoughts. Also after the run, I have the urge to eat something, which I don't do when I am depressed. Try those. I hope you find those working.
Karolinka
You should contact a doctor and see if you are diagnosed with depression, if you already know, then find a therapist or counselor to talk to them about your thoughts and feelings. If you don't have a therapist/counselor, or would not like to have one, phone a suicide hotline.
Slinky
If your depression gets really bad or you start having suicidal thoughts, you should talk to someone you trust who could maybe help you? Or you could contact a helpline that deals with helping people with depression and suicidal thoughts. From my own personal experience, talking to someone about what is going through your mind really does help!
Katie24601
Having suicidal thoughts can be scary and often overwhelming, but recognizing that you're having them can be a great first step. There are some things that you can do to help yourself immediately. Contacting someone who you trust - a family member, classmate, or friend - to let them know that you need help is a good way of keeping yourself safe. You can also contact the suicide hotline 1-800-273-8255 or www.suicide.org to get professional assistance.
AK
I tend to self harm when very upset. But I've been working on it. And one of my biggest support systems is right here on 7 Cups. It really means a lot when someone is there to listen :)
Anonymous
It is most helpful if you could contact a suicide hotline or a website like suicide.org. It will probably be the best option
Rachel1984
What I did when I was younger, which didn't help, was ignore it. What I did that helped was to keep my therapist informed about how I was feeling, and take his advice to heart to let people help me. That included seeing a psychiatrist and getting my meds changed, as well as some time in a hospital program.
anniemarie3
Call the national suicide hotline. Go to an adult you trust at school or work. Talk to someone you trust about how you are feeling.
Alaa
November 2nd, 2014 1:31am
Best idea would be getting a professinoal help , we all need guidance sometimes , even the strongest
Mel
Ask for help. You don't have to do things alone and it would be very sad if you end with your life. That's a huge decision, please, contact the necessary help and let's work this out.
Anonymous
Having a plan in place for dips in mood will be one of your biggest allies. Depression and suicidal ideation are always serious. While you are feeling relatively well, you might consider setting out an emergency mood plan, including who to contact such as a hotline or trusted friend, as well as any activities or places to go which help ground you.
Anonymous
Talk to someone about it. Preferable someone you know very well or a trained professional. If you cant do either of those just find someone to talk to about it that will care.
Anonymous
You should ask someone - a friend, a family member, a counsellor - for help. You are not alone. Many people have been in your situation before and there is help to be found. Call your local suicide line if you are seriously considering suicide.