Who can I talk to about depression?

Hisham Tawfik, M.S.W.

Counseling and psychological services are my passion more than my work, It is all about love, and love is the only real value.

Anonymous
You can talk to anyone, anyone you feel comfortable talk to about it. It could be a family member, a close friend, a co-worker, school friend, teacher. Whoever you like. You can also talk to us here at 7 cups. We are always happy to listen to anything you have to say.
Anonymous
You can visit the 7cup guide regarding this issue, I am always here to help listen and support you should you need me
CaptianPenguin
January 22nd, 2016 4:19am
Anyone you trust, parents, siblings, friends, teachers, co-workers, aunts, uncles, grandparents, doctors... If its someone you feel safe talking too and you need help the best place to start is with someone you know. If you don't feel safe talking to any of them, there is always someone on 7 cups willing to help
tinyiris
Lots of listeners on here who would love to listen if you need to talk about depression, so here is one place :). Your family and friends would be a good start, but I know for some people. family and friends aren't actually that supportive :(. In that case, one good start is your family doctor, who could help you out (or give you more information if you're wondering about depression), and potentially refer you to someone to talk to if needed. Another good resource can be you school guidance counsellor/learning support teacher if you're a student (or student counselling services if you're in college), or your human resource if you're working...often jobs will have employee assistance programs in place that can offer free counselling. A pastor or religious leader if you are affiliated with one can sometimes also be helpful (though not always).
Mark5
There are many people you could talk to about depression. Parents, siblings, friends, counselors, hotlines, online communities. If you do not feel as though you have connections in any of these places, 7 Cups is a great place. We have depression support rooms on both the listener and teen side as well as self-help guides for a wide range of issues. If you want a listener who "specializes" in depression, go to our Browse Listeners page and search for "Depression" under the topic tab.
Crest
Well, you are on 7 Cups, are you not? Then you can also chat to a psychologist if you feel you need that. (And you just might, regardless.)
Shikamaru42
Whoever is close and it feels right opening up to. Parents, siblings, teachers, friends, ... If you don't feel ready for that yet, you can always talk to the listeners here instead - keep in mind that that's only a temporary solution though. Plus, consider talking to a professional therapist.
Anonymous
You can talk with someone you feel comfortable with. Perhaps a member of your family, or one of your friends, and if you prefer to talk to someone you don't know, there are always listeners in here
Anonymous
You can talk to a number of people. Family, friends, doctors, teachers, suicide helplines if you feel its necessary. There are a large number of people there to listen and try to help
Anonymous
I could talk to myself about, in some kind of way. I used to write everything down that kept me up at night. Everything that took my attention. Everything I thought and felt. Writing things down or expressing them in a different way does help. It won't heal you, but it can give you some more time to think about who you're going to talk to about getting help.
Anonymous
Talk to a therapist or a family memeber or friend or anyone you know and see what they say be honest
sassydoll101
7Cups of course! Me and other fellow listeners are always ready to listen. But with that said we are not professionals and seeing one can be beneficial. There is also depression support forums and chatrooms available.
OllieCat
January 21st, 2016 5:56pm
People such as family members, school counselors, and counselors/therapists are fantastic choices to talk to. If you are really anxious or afraid to talk to those people, then any of the listeners on 7 Cups are more than happy to listen and provide a safe, open place for you. Close friends are also always an option to confide in, but if you need help on something larger, it's better to call a hotline or talk to a counselor or parent because your safety is also very important.
WindMelody
January 22nd, 2016 4:24pm
You should talk with someone that you really trust, like one of your parents, or one of your siblings. Maybe you should avoid talking about that with your friends, except the ones you feel trustworthy and you think that can offer you a real support. If these fail, you can always try to talk about that with a Listener, or me, I'm here for that.
Anonymous
January 22nd, 2016 9:19pm
To any adult person. They can get you to a right person like a doctor or a therepist. They will help you
Anonymous
go to your gp and tell them about it and they will help you from there and I know that because I have depression myself.
Anonymous
With my depression the first people I told were my friends, I told my family later but I would definitely talk about it with people close to you
yourfriendzahra
There are a number of sources who you can talk to about depression. You can talk to trustworthy family, friends or teachers. If you are uncomfortable doing that, there are many hotlines and sites such as 7 cups that offer support. If you feel desperate try and seek out professional help as they may often give advice or aid.
Anonymous
I suggest talking to someone that you trust. A friend, parent, teacher. If you feel uncomfortable talking to any of these people try seeking help from a professional
Diamond4Infinity
You can always talk to someone you can trust and depend on. Weather it be a friend, a parent or a significant other.
Anonymous
You can talk to just about anyone. You can talk to your parents, you can get a therapist, you can talk to your friends. A few years ago, I went to a therapist. They can actually help a lot more than you think!
Drewseph
7 Cups is a great place to start talking to someone about what you are experiencing and what you feel would be helpful for you. It can be daunting to think about the process of talking to someone but there are several options that can be explored with your listener.
Anonymous
Your family are the closest people to you, counsellors or anyone you can actually trust. Close friends and anyone you want to, its your life.
Anonymous
Anyone on 7 cups of tea, your gp, a counsellor/therapist or any trusted friend or family member can be great to talk to.
LadyUnderGrace
You can talk to a counselor, psychiatrist, parent, friend, or even one of us here on 7 Cups of Tea that has been trained in depression.
Anonymous
You're in the right website for that. Maybe a councilor, parents, a therapist...
Anonymous
Your parents should always know about stuff like this, and it does get better after you tell them. If not, you could go to a therapist, or please feel free to contact me on the matter.
Mike8448
January 31st, 2016 2:43pm
You can talk to your GP or a therapist. You may be able to talk to friends about it, but if people have no experience with it, they might not really understand what you are going through.
AChildAtHeart
You can talk about it with a trusted friend, a teacher, parents of your friends, whoever you feel that you can be open about your mental illness without fear that they'll judge you. It's essential that you have someone by your side to support you through this difficult phase, you cannot do everything on your own, so don't hesitate asking for help. In case you're not ready to talk about your depression with the person you trust, you can write them a letter/e-mail. Of course, after doing that, it's always better for you to talk to them in person about your problem
Anonymous
Talk to someone you trust and make sure they won't betray you or put you more down Someone you love and someone who loves you back as much as you do You could also make online friends or just chat with someone here on 7 Cups Of Tea. Good luck and love you : )