Who can I talk to about depression?

Hisham Tawfik, M.S.W.

Counseling and psychological services are my passion more than my work, It is all about love, and love is the only real value.

cattywampus
A 7 Cups Listener, a friend who may or may not also struggle, a professional therapist, teacher, family member, co-worker. We find listeners in various places.
Gemma8483
A listener on 7cups, your parents, a family member, doctor, friend, partner, etc. I would highly recommend a doctor who can possibly refer you to a counselor, or maybe even consider the possibility of medication to help you.
Anonymous
Talking about depression is not easy. Taking it step by step could be a good choice. You may start by talking to a kind 7cups listener, or caring and willing member of your family. Best choice is always seek professional advice.
Anonymous
You might/ might not believe in God, but if you do even better if not why not try? Give it ago I promise you it doesn't hurt, speak to him, yes to God! Tell God everything from what causes you to be depressed to how it makes you feel all the time ask he to help heal you and protect you from whatever is causing it, let God know everything, he will never judge you and he cares about you more than you know it takes faith and a conversation with God for your healing and a step closer to a better and brighter day. Also, if your comfortable try see a therapist, find things which make you happy to distract you from whatever makes you depressed I know it doesn't go away over night but one step at a time no need to rush.. Good luck!!! :)
musicforeves
You can talk to anyone you feel comfortable with about depression, as it is a topic we don't like talking about. Not because it's bad it just isn't a fun topic. I'd talk to a listener like myself here on 7 cups, a good friend, a patent, a doctor or trusted adult about depression. If things get worse consider finding a therapist.
CaringJoy
Find a safe, supportive and non judgmental person, professional or support group like a 7 Cups Listener to help you during this difficult time.
EnlightenedLux
This is just a silly question; There's thousand of listeners here who actually want to hear about your depression, including myself.
Anonymous
When you are feeling depressed or you are diagnosed with depression there are many people that you can talk to. Some of the poeple are trusted adults, counselors or therapist, a hotline and there is tons more.
CyrussssssssT
Hey! We have a lot of active listeners here on 7 Cups! Feel free to send a request in and we will be with you shortly :)
Kelleyd83
You can talk to anyone who's been through it. I would suggest a therapist, social worker, someone on 7cups or perhaps a trusted friend or family acquaintance. It usually doesn't help much to talk to family about depression, at least that's my experience. Good luck!
RyleeOk21
It can be difficult trying to talk about your feelings, especially when you feel depressed. Usually, it is most beneficial talking to someone who you can trust or are familiar with. This can be a parent, teacher, or friend that you know. This can even be someone here at 7 cups! We love helping you and our job is to listen (:
Egiran99
A close friend is not as hard to talk to such as an adult or sibling. They will always be by your side, and would never make you feel bad.
sugaryFlower69
There's many people you can talk to about depression, your parents/family members, your friends, your councilor
Anonymous
Me ! Or if you'd rather, you know try talking to your cat or dog.... Try blending with them, You'll know that there's true love to you in there.
Anonymous
There is a lot of professionals that can help you, but talking about your emotions to your family and friends can help a lot too. Be brave!
Anonymous
Friends, parents, people in communities about it, people that deal with it as well, listeners on 7 Cups and other sites, your counselor or therapist. Anyone that you trust.
heavenPainting21
a listener at the 7 cups of tea as they can help you with all sorts of problems in many languages to.
Anonymous
There are a lot of listeners here on 7 Cups who would be happy to listen to you; many of us have also dealt with depression in the past and can understand what you're going through. You can request a private message session with someone or start a general request to get started!
sunshineLion70
Y'know, you'd really be surprised how many people have experienced depression- either themselves or through a family member/friend. It's so common. Obviously, the most useful resource to you is your doctor. However, you might want to talk to a close friend or trusted family member first, so they can go with you for support. I don't know how old you are, but if you're younger then a guidance counsellor or teacher are options too. Really though, just don't be afraid of telling people. They'll likely be more understanding than you expect, There's loads of really great resources online too, for support with depression and how to talk to people about it. I really wish you all the luck in the world. I hope this helped in some way. Take care!
CaringApple95
Family and friends are always a great start. But you also have us lovely people here a 7 Cups. Whether you join a chat room and perk yourself up or talk to one of our many amazing and caring listeners; we're all here to help not just you but ourselves too. It works surprisingly well, so give it a go! It's all confidential and we provide a safe and comfortable environment for everyone. :)
wonderfulSunrise85
Someone you trust, who won't condemn you. The person who says " I'm here and we are going to get through this." That's the only person you should ever trust.
Anonymous
I think you can talk to your parent or guardian, a therapist, a school counsiler, and maybe a very close friend.
Anonymous
anyone you feel comfortable with sharing that kind of information. Family, if you're in school a school counselor
Anonymous
You should talk to your parents, doctor or someone you realy trust. You also can talk with some listener on 7 cups of tea.
AnthonyNW29
Your GP or family doctor is always a good place to start, they can also refer you to other organisations that may be able to help. When I started experiencing depression it was my GP who provided me with materials to read, people to talk to etc. I found that once I was more informed about Depression I was better able to talk to other people about it, to answer critics who think it is 'all in your head' and I also felt more comfortable as I understood what I was experiencing.
Anonymous
Usually, the best people to talk to are psychologists, because they know exactly how to help you when it comes to depression. They've gotten a degree in psychology, which shows that they know what they're doing.
shvrry
Talk to someone you trust or someone who's always been there for you. A close friend or family member. Also, talk to your parent(s).
Elena1998
I guess I should tell you my story- I suffer from depression, for a long time I didn't talk about it with anyone- I didn't want people who cares about me to worry. So I kept it all inside, until I was thinking about killing myself every hour, like I couldn't remember a moment when I didn't want to die. And that's when I understood that that's too much. That by keeping it inside I can actually make even more harm to my family and friends, because I felt like I can't bear this anymore. So I told my mom about few thing and I asked her to get an appointment for psychotherapist. But the thing that helped me the most was that my mom told me- 'Why didn't you tell me before?'. When I told her that I didn't want her to worry, she said 'Now I'm strangely more calm, because before I felt like there is something, but I was afraid to ask'. SO the reason why I told you all this is that I don't want you to make the same mistake and get it to severe. I may be wrong, but you're parents already have noticed you acting somehow different, and you should get help before it's too late. It's really hard to fight on your own, it's just too much of pain. If you feel like talking, you can always talk to listeners here, there's a lot of amazing and very supportive people here. But real life help can be more effective. It's great to talk to someone who you trust, or at least with counselor, who will surely help. Just hold on and feel free to talk to listeners here.
tamsin000
A few years ago my life turned around. I had to become someone else in order to carry on. No one knows my struggle and here is the only place I can really be me. Anyone else struggling with depression will know its a constant struggle
Anonymous
If you don't feel comfortable talking to family members about depression, there are countless listeners on here who would love to help you. If you need someone to talk to face-to-face then see a counselor or a therapist. They have gone to school and trained to help people. No matter what you feel there are people who care and would listen to you.