I want to see a therapist. How do I tell my parents?

Lisa Meighan, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

LightafterDarkeness
You want to see a therapist and you don't know how to tell your parents. I know it isn't easy, one way is to talk about about what is bothering you, how you are feeling and what your reasons are for wanting to see a therapist. It would be a good idea to find out the type of therapist you want to see and how they would be able to help you and then discuss it with your parents. Your parents may not fully understand at first so keep calm and openly discuss it, this includes listening to them.
Anonymous
you may start by telling them that physiological sickness is nothing to be ashamed of and that you have not been feeling well recently and you think you might nèed some outer help
enchantingDew84
Congratulations on understanding your needs, it is the first step to self improvement. Seeing a therapist can be very beneficial in so many ways. I would simply go to them and explain why you believe it would benefit you. I'm sure your parents would be proud that you want to improve yourself through therapy. There are so many affordable options online for therapy if expense is a concern.
klarathealien
I asked my therapist to explain it to my parents. You have to explain to them that you are going through a difficult time and need professional help.
Drusilla451
I would just say you are struggling with a few things and think you need someone to talk to about it. As a parent if one of my children felt counselling would help them I would be happy to support that decision.
CaringAndWantingToHelp
The best way to tell them is finding a time where everyone is comfortable but you also have a safe place to go if they don't react the way you want. For example, telling them at a restaurant isn't probably the best idea. Be open and honest with them about why you want to see a therapist. Your parents love you and if they see you're hurting they will hopefully get you the care you need.
scrollworm
Start by telling him your problems and how you feel about them. Tell them that you need professional help and that you want someone neutral but understanding to help you deal with your issues. They may think that you are overreacting or that they a little angry that you chose a therapist rather than them. If so, tell them that you love and trust them but you need someone who is an expert in your issue. Ask them for their support since that will help you cope up with your issues.
AlexKk
That's a hard thing to do. Your parents might react differently than you expected. Tell them you need to sit down and talk to them, and explain your reason calmly. They might not understand first, so they might ask questions. Just answer them the clearest way possible. If things get way out of hand, tell them to think about it and leave them alone.
Anonymous
You should go up to them and tell them that you'd like to discuss something important and them tell them you would like a therapist. Tell them some of the reasons why if you are comfortable. They should understand you are being serious and they'll think about it.
Anonymous
You could say that being a Teenager can be very hard and that you are overwhelmed by some situations or often feel lonely or whatever the reason is that you want to see a therapist.
Anonymous
You should just be honest about it, while you don't exactly have to them the exact reason. Just say "I want someone to talk to privately that can help me work through my emotions" or "I'm not sure why i'm feeling the way I do, I just want a professional to help me.:
safeHeaven16
Set a time where the mood is right and sit down and start talking to them about your situation a bit. You don't need to get into specifics if you don't wish to. Tell them you wish to speak to someone that while is a professional, has an objective position to your situation. Assure them that you're not in danger and that you just need support from another person in your life. If they don't respond to your suggestion well, stop the conversation. Some parents need time to adjust to the idea that their child is interested in seeking counseling. Tell them they did nothing wrong as a parent, but you just need to learn how to get through things on your own and have a safe and private space to discuss important life issues and sort out uncomfortable feelings. Good luck!
0laa
Your parents are the most trustworthy people in your life , be honest and deliver the idea for them in a right way that they just don't panic amd get worried about you so much , just make sure they'll totally understand
VanessaGraceStory
Explain your reason to your parents so they know exactly why you would like to see a therapist. If your an adolescent then you have every right to see a therapist, hopefully they will accept your feeling on the situation.
caringDreamer53
I would just sit them down, and tell them you do and why. They'll be proud of you for wanting to go.
Anonymous
Just go up to your mom or dad and say "hey we need to talk" then you sit them down and you just say it. "Mom, Dad, I would like to see a therapist for *insert the reason why here*"
5thousandmiles
If you're over 18 there's no need to tell them. However, if you're a minor perhaps you could do some research on local therapists, find one you like and present the findings to them. I'm sure they'll want you to seek help for whatever struggles you're dealing with.
Anonymous
Since I've been through this situation myself as well in the past, I think that the best way to approach this is to tell them that there have been some things which have been concerning you and causing you trouble lately and that you believe you'd be greatly benefited if you seeked help from a professional.
faithlove1111
Be honest and sincere. Tell your parents you need to speak to someone who is trained and would be able to help you to see things from a different perspective. Tell your parents you love them , respect them and value them greatly. But you would really appreciate if they can arrange for you to speak to a therapist. Also assure them , you would speak to them after you have sorted out your thoughts with the therapist.
Ruek
Hello! I think the best thing is to ask to sit down with them and talk. Tell them that you need their support and help and that you want them to understand why this is important for you. Good luck.
sashalembowitz
Do they know you have a specific problem? If no, try talking to them about it first, before deciding on therapy, as you have to consider the cost too. If they know about the problem you have, and you have spoken to them about it, write out a list of reasons why you think therapy is the best choice for you and how it will help you. They should be supportive if you make it clear why you want to do it, as they can't argue against good reasons :)|
wonder22
They'll most likely understand if you want some extra support in life. When they might say, "We are all the therapy you need", remind them that a profesional would have less emotional attachment and be more blunt with comfort and advice. Just tell them straight out. Easier than waiting and feeling horrible, right?
Ravenclaw7
Just be straight to them. Tell them about your problems and that you feel the need for specialized help. Explain to them how you're feeling and your thoughts and they will, very likely, support your decision.
Anonymous
Honestly, tell them exactly how you feel. Try something like, "Mom, dad, can we talk?" When they agree, say something like, "I've been thinking and I thought that maybe it would be good for me to start going to therapy." When and if they ask why, just explain to them you are going through some internal conflicts and they should understand. Goodluck (:
Anonymous
Your parents should be understanding and supportive of a decision like that, just sit them down and tell them in a calm manner and have valid reasons as to why you want to do this.
latticinio
If you feel comfortable enough to do this, sit your parents down and explain whats going on and why you believe you should speak to a therapist. If you are too afraid to do this, set up a doctors appointment and ask for them to refer you to a therapist. From personal experience, the latter tends to work best.
graceclarity
Tell them how you feel and try your best to communicate it clearly and in a way that will hopefully help them betterm understand your situation and the help that you need
Anonymous
By having a normal honest and open conversation, explaining them why you feel the desire to see a therapist and answering the questions they may have.
Anonymous
I would get my parents together with a teacher or counselor at school and tell them. Sometimes it's easier if you have the support of a teacher or school counselor
Anonymous
Be honest and clear about what you are going through. You need them to understand the problem and to support you.