How can I keep calm and not be nervous on stage?

Alex DS Ellis, MA, LMFT

Feeling depressed or anxious can be so overwhelming. I want to help you feel better and be able to enjoy life. You are not alone and you deserve emotional support.

Miracle
Keeping calm under pressure can be very hard. To be honest practice helps a lot because it gives you more confidence. Speaking to others who have similar experiences might too as does keeping everything in perspective. It might be worth considering lots of self guided relaxation techniques too especially to do with breathing before hand might help (the self help guides are good). Personally I have found that in high stress situations it has been helpful for me to remind myself the whole way though 'it's all over' even when I am in the sitaution and then to try and focus on what I will do afterward right before instead of focusing on the very stressful here and now. Trying that technique though will work best if you are a rather visual person and willing to practice a lot.
Anonymous
Think positively, try to breath in and out slowly, and try to let go of all the worries you may have.
Jadie
Nerves on stage are a normal reaction - when you have the "fourth wall" removed and an audience to play out to, it's easy to start self-analyzing and to become more aware of how your surroundings directly affect you. I think it's important to acknowledge how you are feeling, because if you are upset about being nervous, it can create even more anxiety. For me, it helps to think about breathing, to pick out one point of focus in the audience instead of scanning a sea of faces, and to think of nerves as "extra energy" that can also have a positive effect - after all, it often brings about the same physiological reactions as excitement!
forestGardener351
I found that getting used to being on stage and in the wings as much as possible before the show really helped me. Butterflies are totally normal, but make sure to not hold onto any negative thoughts that come into your head. Practising your parts in front of people you know can also help make it feel a little more natural! Before you go out, try a few breathing exercises, and go and dazzle them!
FeatherIce25
Big oraters have accepted that at some point , the all faced stage fright. So it is normal. Have a clear head about your role / thing on the stage. Practice. Only you know you are nervous . Speak in a loud , clear and confident voice. Voila , you are done .
WarmHeart22
Take a deep breath and just do it as if nobody's actually watching. Pretend that nobody's there and just do it. Have the courage, I know you can do it.
originalLion57
Know that it's natural and there's nothing wrong with feeling nervous, but try to do some breathing exercises before going up on stage.
Anonymous
Tip: Bridge the familiar with the unfamiliar to overcome nerves: What has helped me is making eye contact with a friendly face in the audience in the middle, to the left and to the right of me and talking to them as if we where friends in a coffee shop together
ListenLady
Speaking or performing on stage, in front of people is a very common problem that a lot of people fear, me being one of them. One way that I have found useful is breathing exercises, even famous singers use these techniques to keep calm before going on stage. Once you are on stage and doing whatever it is you have to do a lot of people find their nerves disappear the longer they are performing so face the fear and do it anyway, imagine how amazing you will feel when you have finished!
BeBrave602
I have that problem too! It's normal to be nervous. Take some deep breaths, think of succeeding, and NEVER think of failing. Drinking some warm tea might help you to calm down too.
rflvncntrys
Slow your breathing. Don't take things too seriously. Calm your mind. Listen to musics that are relaxing and slow. Think of a place that makes you relaxed.
Nahsha
Breathing exercises before going on stage might help calm you down . practice warms up might also help
Zebrasarcastic
Take a deep breath and when you get on the stage think why you're doing it and think of the things that makes you happy.onec on the stage and the amount of people scare you spot the one person that makes you feel happy and calm that person might be a friend or a family member
Anonymous
When you're on stage.. just think that you're alone and just doing the thing which make you happy.. and forget about the world..and believe on yourself.. then you'd feel confident..
WarriorDreams
No one has anything to offer you. By that I mean, even if you impress your audience they may not be able to do anything about getting you where you ultimately want to go. relax and just do what you enjoy. that's all you need to care about.
subtleGray16
I've been performing on stage since I was 3. I still get scared. My stomach clenches up and I get dizzy. But I've learned that if you take that first step, it gets easier to go on. It might not be perfect but who cares if you make a mistake? It takes courage just to get up there.
rachel38
Don't think about the fact that you could mess up - don't think about the embarrassment! Remember that you're out there to do something that you love, and that that's all that matters!
NicoleRachel
Imagine a place where you feel comfort and relaxed. Something familiar like home. Home isn't just a place. It's a feeling you get when a sense of comfort and peace comes over you.